Old 08-19-2010, 08:01 PM   #1
NS-Norfolk

Cool Reject Suggestions

Ok, I'm busted on the reject for too large a copyright, I can fix that. On reflection, should have not have even added it.

That said, any suggestions on the picture before I resubmit it?

Am inclined to simply leave the locomotives silhouetted. If I lighten it enough, the lettering will dimly appear but at the price of decreased contrast. The framing is close to the rule of 3rds so am thinking no cropping is necessary.

Thoughts? Thanks!

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=727168441

Canon EOS 5D MKII | Canon F1n + Assorted FD Glass
Canon EF20-35mm | Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L | Canon EF28-135mm IS | Canon EF70-200mm f2.8L | Canon EF 300mm f4.0L

Chesapeake, VA

My Photos at: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=33016
NS-Norfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

I'm not a fan of the watermark either, for what it's worth. I also think thre may be a few other rejects looming in the distance. The loco for my tastes should be closer to the right side of the frame and to the sun. It doesn't look like a great silhouette. I can't decide if it's the filtered sun, if it's just too dar or what. But I think the big copyright might be the least of the concerns.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

It looks very dark and muddy on my work monitor. I think these types of shots need to have the lighting coming from the wheel area / under the locomotvies to work best. this train doesn't pop out from the background.

Loyd L.
Old 08-19-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

While off subject, that must be a new rejection reason. While I don't apply copyrights, I've never heard anyone mention that rejection.

Interesting.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:21 PM   #5
JRMDC

When entering into the city field, limit yourself to the city. In this case I think you also put in ", VA" and that shows up, along with the state name that RP inserts.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
EMTRailfan

Location: I can be found railfanning the abandoned B&O Northern Sub.

You might actually want to check your cropping a little closer. I am with Joe about the loco being a little farther to the right if you have a frame after this one, but I am referring to the rotation wedge that runs left to right across the bottom.

As far as the actual rejection, your own copyright tag seems redundant with RP's copyright bar across the bottom with your name on it. I can go either way with the water mark. With your placement, it doesn't really take anything away from your photo, but if someone wanted to steal your photo, it wouldn't be anything to just crop it and your own copyright stuff out. If you place it to "protect" your photo better, and then it detracts from the photo.

Last edited by EMTRailfan; 08-20-2010 at 01:17 AM.
EMTRailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
Greg P

Send a message via AIM to Greg P

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMTRailfan View Post
You might actually want to check your cropping a little closer. I am with Joe about the loco being a little farther to the right if you have a frame after this one, but I am referring to the rotation wedge that runs left to right across the bottom.

As far as the actual rejection, your own copyright tag seems redundant with RP's copyright bar across the bottom with your name on it. I can go either way with the water mark. With your placement, it doesn't really take anything away from your photo, but if someone wanted to steal your photo, it wouldn't be anything to just crop it and your own copyright stuff out. If you place it to "protect" your photo better, and then it detracts from the photo.
I remember a few years back, there was some drama with someone cropping out the person's copyright and then submitting the photos as their own.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 06:06 PM   #8
NS-Norfolk

Thumbs up Thank you for the Comments !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
It looks very dark and muddy on my work monitor. I think these types of shots need to have the lighting coming from the wheel area / under the locomotives to work best. this train doesn't pop out from the background.

Loyd L.
I appreciate the feed back and while I like sunset silhouette shots, this particular image may not be the one to clean up and re-submit. Lloyd makes a great point that I had not considered until considering his comments, looking at the shot. The composition would be an order of magnitude better with light coming from the underside/wheel area. That shot was also originally taken as a .jpg, to clean it up along the lines of other suggestions will take its toll, also.

Will shoot it again when the opportunity presents itself. If the light is right and I can coordinate with a train approaching a location which will accommodate the shot, I'll shoot a fixed focal length lens to try and mitigate flare and will also compose it better.

Little is served by adding the additional copyright during post-processing, at least on this site.

I enjoy reading your comments on this forum and appreciate the observations on this shot.

Canon EOS 5D MKII | Canon F1n + Assorted FD Glass
Canon EF20-35mm | Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L | Canon EF28-135mm IS | Canon EF70-200mm f2.8L | Canon EF 300mm f4.0L

Chesapeake, VA

My Photos at: http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=33016
NS-Norfolk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norfolk southern, sunset, windsor