Old 01-28-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Question Interesting contacts from photos submitted?

I was wondering how many of you have received interesting comment notices or contacts from photos posted on rp.net asking to use your photos? I just think it's kind of amazing that so many RR involved people search for photos here.

Here's a few I've had:
- One from Herzog wanting to use a photo I took of a ballast train for advertising.
- A law firm for a company that makes parts for rail cars wanted a photo for their office.
- NS wanting a photo of a UP engine for a presentation, that one is strange!
- Wikipedia for the BNSF section

And a few other odd requests. I guess I just think it's pretty cool to be recognized somewhat.
See more of my train photos at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/firehouse16
See my train videos at:
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=SoCalRailFan
socalrailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
BNSF_SD40-2B

Send a message via Yahoo to BNSF_SD40-2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalrailfan
I was wondering how many of you have received interesting comment notices or contacts from photos posted on rp.net asking to use your photos? I just think it's kind of amazing that so many RR involved people search for photos here.

Here's a few I've had:
- One from Herzog wanting to use a photo I took of a ballast train for advertising.
- A law firm for a company that makes parts for rail cars wanted a photo for their office.
- NS wanting a photo of a UP engine for a presentation, that one is strange!
- Wikipedia for the BNSF section

And a few other odd requests. I guess I just think it's pretty cool to be recognized somewhat.

I havn't got anything like that, but I've been asked about the areas I take photos by some other railfans.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:34 PM   #3
Christopher Muller

Quote:

I've been contacted by a communications company that installed antenna equipment on BNSF C44-9Ws. They wanted to use it for a presentation.

One of my pictures is currently being put in a book from India, published in th UK and USA.

Several special interest groups for the Windmill train pictures I've taken.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:13 PM   #4
CG_F45

Ahhh, nothing that intersting for me yet. I get kind comments, which is enough for me...but it would be sweet to get published!

My photos at RailPictures.Net
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Ken Carr
Senior Member: Vegasrails

Default Requests

I have been very fortunate Iíve had my photos in a number of newsletters and train related publications some for profit others non-profit. Thanks to RP Iíve have sold some of my work to train related companies and private individuals.
Of course I have also answered questions about rail fanning Las Vegas from a number of fans, have given a few brief tours or one day sight seeing trips, around Las Vegas.
But the most interesting was when a fellow rail fan took a across country rail fan vacation. Sitting in his Hummer at a quiet RR crossing in Iowa waiting for a train, three young boys (teens) came up to him, noticed his Nevada tags on his vehicle and asked if he was I. (Vegasrails). During the whole hour he was there they questioned him about me and my photos.
You never know who looks up to you. Itís nice to receive comments about your photos on line, in PMís and emails, even nicer when someone wants to use one of your photos, but to have kids, teens look up to you for your work..well that even more specialÖ

See what I do for fun along the rails and in the desert

See some of my slide shows

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Ken Carr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 07:01 PM   #6
Crusader

One of my rejected photos drew the attention of a railroad equipment procurement consultant, and is now part of their web page.

So far, however, the only comments on accepted photos have been of a personal, rather than commercial, nature.

Funny how things work out, ain't it.
Old 01-28-2006, 07:07 PM   #7
David Telesha

I don't get ANYTHING.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:07 PM   #8
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Oddly enough, I've had more commercial level inquiries about my photos from other sites like Trainorders, a couple of Yahoo Groups, and when it was active my own personal website. (Taken down when I cancelled my service)

I've only had two commercial related inquiries through RP, one was from Kalmbach and the other was from Alaska RR, not for the photo on the site, but they wanted to know if I had any other photos that I'd taken of their equipment.

In the coming weeks, I'm going to open my own website again with the help of a friend, be on the lookout for www.hoydie.com

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 08:49 PM   #9
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan

I've had a couple.... one was a man who does business with a bank that owns some locos, he wanted to use a picture for a presentation. Then a NS guy wanted to use pictures of CSX Road Slugs for a presentation.... He said NS is considering doing what CSX has. I've had numerous smaller references and stuff, mainly critters that people use on their websites. I get on average two or three contacts per week, and sometimes more depending how many photos I put up.
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 10:30 PM   #10
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

Something else I thought of was like Ken said, railfans contacting you or finding out about you thru here. Then the one I enjoy is RR engineers or conductors contacting you because they found a photo of a train they were on the day you took the photo, that to me is cool too.

Ken you charge these companies for photos? damn I must be doing something wrong or don't know how to go about it!
See my train videos at:
Old 01-28-2006, 10:54 PM   #11
NicTrain35

Railfan and Railroad contacted me asking if they could use my Toyota Tundra photo, http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=85751, and published it in the February 2005 issue.

An engineering firm from Milwaukee, WI contacted me asking if they could use my Metra photo in a job bid to expand Metra from Kenosha, WI to Milwaukee, WI.

The photo archivist from the Elgin Joliet & Eastern Railroad asked me if he could use some of my EJ&E photos on his website.

A model railroad site asked me if they could use some of my photos for their website. They said they were going to make models and needed photos to help them.

I've also been contacted by other websites and individuals asking if they could hire me to provide with such things as videos in the snow.

I recently was contacted by a law firm who specializes in railroad law, asking to use my photos to use on their website.

These were e-mailed to me with the subject as "Railpictures.Net Member Contact".

Take care everyone.

Nick

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 11:09 PM   #12
StL-rail

Send a message via AIM to StL-rail Send a message via MSN to StL-rail Send a message via Yahoo to StL-rail

I've had several interesting Emails. The latest about being published in an up and comimg MBI book if the author gets the contract. I have gotten several inquiries to use some of my shots in an online newsletter, that's happened several times. I was contacted by Jim Wrinn, the editior of TRAINS Magazine personally asking me if he could use one of my shots in the Gallery section of the magazine. I Emailed him back saying yes, but he never responded. Anyway, I have had other interesting contacts, people asking questions, RR employees, other smaller requests for my photos, etc., but I don't remember what most were about.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

-Canadian Pacific Conductor
-Union Pacific Conductor
-RRC Switchman
StL-rail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:10 AM   #13
ccaranna

Just one RR related contact, and it was from a local Teamster's Union that wanted to use my picture on their website-

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Got contacted by Trains, but I still need to send them a scan of the shot they inquired about...

Other than that, someone contacted me to see if our families may be related.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:12 AM   #14
socalrailfan
Master Railfan

This is great, I like seeing all the responses. It's pretty cool that organizations know where to look to find photos for their needs. I just noticed my Wikipedia.org photo is on the same line as Chris Starnes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BNSF
See my train videos at:
Old 01-29-2006, 02:18 AM   #15
4kV

Location: Homeless, alcoholic drifter with no permanent address

Quote:
I was wondering how many of you have received interesting comment notices or contacts from photos posted on rp.net asking to use your photos? .
I can't say any photos have ever contacted me.

Click on n691lf.rrpicturearchives.net for a good laugh and waste of your time.
4kV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 02:34 AM   #16
Chris Starnes
Administrator

Very interesting topic, guys. I was just discussing this sort of thing with a fellow admin the other day. At some point in the future we may post a list of publications and firms that have used photos published here to show that these folks ARE on here (some on a daily basis, I am sure) looking for photos. It is rewarding to know that we have probably the largest selection and easiest searching abilities for people who are looking for images to use.

Thanks for kicking this one off, Dave!

CS
Old 01-29-2006, 03:14 AM   #17
busyEMT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna

Got contacted by Trains, but I still need to send them a scan of the shot they inquired about...
I am surprised at how many have been contacted by publications. I suppose in this digital age, and with the help of RP.net, editors can view photos that once were kept in slide jackets and drawers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicTrain35
I've also been contacted by other websites and individuals asking if they could hire me to provide with such things as videos in the snow.
I too was asked for the same thing. Sent 40 minutes of footage. Have yet to hear back.

I too have a photo on the local BLE Union's site; a photo was used with permission for a FRA presentation several years ago. If deadlines are met, a photo will be used by an author for the cover story in a shortline railway enthusiast magazine. No big bucks yet!

Don't do anything you wouldn't want to explain to the paramedics!
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 03:32 AM   #18
fuente1

Location: Concord, NC MP 355 on NS Piedmont Divison Charlotte District
Send a message via AIM to fuente1 Send a message via Yahoo to fuente1

Cant say that I have been contacted about any of my photos, not surprising however, not many folks are interested in the North Carolina narrow gauge hehe. Had a few photos Ive offered used on historic websites, thats about it though.
fuente1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:57 AM   #19
SP3197

I have been contacted several times for use of my photos posted on this site. My favorite was for a one time use for a trade show booth. I had no idea they could enlarge a .jpg image so big.

Here is the original photo......

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=69396

And here is the finished product.
SP3197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:45 AM   #20
Ween

Man, I feel left out. The only thing I've ever been contacted about was from a guy who wanted to model an NS SD40-2 high-hood for MS Train simulator...
Old 01-29-2006, 07:27 AM   #21
SP3197

I actually had much better luck when I was posting airliner photos on another site. I was contacted many times by publisher, new organizations, airlines, and aircraft manufaturers. I had photos published all over the world. The most exposure one of my shots got was when it was used in an episode of Dateline NBC.

The request for RR pictures are far less but I had many of my photos that are on this site used for various uses and publications.
SP3197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:09 PM   #22
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

I've had quite a few contacts regarding use of my photos found on RP.net.

My very first publication came at the end 2004 when John Kuehl contacted me about use of this photo
Image © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
PhotoID: 76253
Photograph © Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
in Bennett Levin's article in Private Varnish about the Buckeye Limited. It was used as the lead photo. I also got 10 shots of the entire consist in the article.

I also got contacted by Davis Palmer to use these photos
PhotoID: 129285
PhotoID: 118691
PhotoID: 118686
for display at the ARHS Convention in Jim Thorpe, PA.

Before that I was contacted by Mike Brown about sending him this photo for him to put on his office wall.
PhotoID: 113525

I got a request to use this photo
PhotoID: 112928
on a wikipedia site.

But other than those "publications" I've been contacted by numerous crewmen from various railroads about sending them photos I took of them at work.

My most recent contact was from Brigette Thomas from the marketing dept. of the Western Maryland Scenic Railroad about using my photo on the WMSR 2006 brochure.
PhotoID: 107863

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:34 PM   #23
willie6622

I've had an energy company, & a railcar manufacturer contact me to use a couple of my shots from here. Plus lots of people asking questions about locations, & operations etc....
Old 01-31-2006, 02:25 AM   #24
trainmonster

Only commercial type contact I got was from the NS Roanoke shops wanting to use this:

Image © Richard Hart
PhotoID: 112115
Photograph © Richard Hart

for an employee presentation on Geeps... something to do with their rebuilding program, I'd guess.

Otherwise, just website use requests. No publishing...

Rich
Old 01-31-2006, 04:33 AM   #25
SD70MAC
HOBO

I've been contacted by Railfan & Railroad to use one of my CSX GEVO shots when they first came out but they never did use it. I was also contacted by the Yard Hostler at Selkirk who was moving those engines that day and spotted me on the bridge. A Alabama rail news company wanted to use a amtrak photo in there publication on how high speed acela trains have stopped running in the northeast due to the previous brake problems. I cant remember if there was any other times. That might have been it.
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote