Old 10-14-2017, 12:30 AM   #201
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So you think a filmmaker should make a movie and then not market it? Or there should be a football game that never gets broadcasted? True though. Most rock bands never try to get on radio.

SMH
It would be nice to have some little haven (here) where success is based on merit rather than advertising, influence peddling, and ballot box stuffing.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:06 AM   #202
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
It would be nice to have some little haven (here) where success is based on merit rather than advertising, influence peddling, and ballot box stuffing.
If that works for you, that's great. Don't expect others to do the same thing just because that's your attitude

Best place to have that work out for you would be Facebook though
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:32 AM   #203
miningcamper1
Senior Member
 
miningcamper1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 953
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
If that works for you, that's great. Don't expect others to do the same thing just because that's your attitude

Best place to have that work out for you would be Facebook though
If advertising, influence peddling, and ballot box stuffing work for you, great! [sarc].

And FB (and Twitter) are toxic IMO.
__________________
flickr photostream: http://www.flickr.com/photos/11947249@N03/

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:34 AM   #204
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
If that works for you, that's great. Don't expect others to do the same thing just because that's your attitude

Best place to have that work out for you would be Facebook though
The glory of being a well known (I didn't say good) railroad photographer is worth about 3 pieces of used toilet paper.

Loyd L.
__________________
I may not be the greatest railroad photographer ever, but I'm certainly a much nicer person.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 01:38 AM   #205
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
The glory of being a well known (I didn't say good) railroad photographer is worth about 3 pieces of used toilet paper.

Loyd L.
Ain't that the God's-honest truth!
__________________
/Kevin

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:24 AM   #206
Noct Foamer
Senior Member
 
Noct Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
The glory of being a well known (I didn't say good) railroad photographer is worth about 3 pieces of used toilet paper.

Loyd L.

I've never really understood the need to have a lot of views. About ten years ago there was a guy on a nature photo forum that told me he was a much better photographer than I was, and the proof was the number of views. I challenged him to a forum "duel!" He was to post his most interesting photo, and I would post mine. We'd see which got more clicks. He posted a photo titled "Great Horned Owl." I posted a photo called "Big Titty Blonde!" I won.

Rather than have a couple hundred anonymous people click on one of my shots or post "Nice shot," I get much more satisfaction from a couple of the people I respect most acknowledge a shot every now and then. Quality over quantity.


Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:36 AM   #207
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
The glory of being a well known (I didn't say good) railroad photographer is worth about 3 pieces of used toilet paper.
I wouldn't know and don't really care.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
Rather than have a couple hundred anonymous people click on one of my shots or post "Nice shot," I get much more satisfaction from a couple of the people I respect most acknowledge a shot every now and then. Quality over quantity.
I'd rather make a sale.
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:26 AM   #208
Noct Foamer
Senior Member
 
Noct Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I wouldn't know and don't really care.

I'd rather make a sale.

That used to be my priority--stock photography in the 90s, family & senior portraits in early 2000s, recent years wedding photography. However, when you do something fun for pay, it just becomes work. I still like doing location family portraits, but am definitely burning out on weddings. I'd rather be out having fun. Money isn't everything.


Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:14 PM   #209
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So you think a filmmaker should make a movie and then not market it? Or there should be a football game that never gets broadcasted? True though. Most rock bands never try to get on radio.

SMH
I don't see the point of comparing marketing of a for-profit enterprise with amateur hobbyists posting photos on a website for fun. Yes, there are pro photographers who post here, but they have a pretty crappy business plan if they are depending on this site to provide enough income to feed their family.

If people want their followers to see their photos on Facebook, then just post the friggin' photos on Facebook. Continual linking to mediocre photos posted here is just an issue of inflating view counts to feed egos.
__________________
Doug Lilly

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 02:17 AM   #210
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noct Foamer View Post
That used to be my priority--stock photography in the 90s, family & senior portraits in early 2000s, recent years wedding photography. However, when you do something fun for pay, it just becomes work. I still like doing location family portraits, but am definitely burning out on weddings. I'd rather be out having fun. Money isn't everything.


Kent in SD
I used to keep a full schedule of weddings, portraits, sports, etc. That took the fun out of owning a camera. Now I just shoot for primarily for me. Most stuff I shoot now doesn't even see the light of day online.

Loyd L.
__________________
I may not be the greatest railroad photographer ever, but I'm certainly a much nicer person.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #211
lefflerlad
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dublin, OH
Posts: 56
Default

Huh.

Image © George W. Hamlin
PhotoID: 634566
Photograph © George W. Hamlin

Last edited by lefflerlad; 10-19-2017 at 07:35 PM.
lefflerlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 08:16 PM   #212
troy12n
Senior Member
 
troy12n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefflerlad View Post
Huh.

Image © George W. Hamlin
PhotoID: 634566
Photograph © George W. Hamlin
LoL, wut?
__________________
My RP.net photos
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:42 PM   #213
Noct Foamer
Senior Member
 
Noct Foamer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 576
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Most stuff I shoot now doesn't even see the light of day online.

Loyd L.
Same here. I doubt I post even 10%. I've always had the philosophy that if I only show my very best stuff, people will think I'm a better photographer than I really am.


Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #214
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefflerlad View Post
Huh.

Image © George W. Hamlin
PhotoID: 634566
Photograph © George W. Hamlin
How does it have almost 500 views?
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #215
KevinM
Senior Member
 
KevinM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,845
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
How does it have almost 500 views?
Well, George is one of the most prolific RP contributors and I suspect that has a lot to do with it. It is also possible that he is linking it to other sites such as Facebook.

Honestly, views-counts don't mean much anymore. Yesterday, I had a shot that cracked the top 4 at about the 15-hour mark. I thought that the home page exposure would really get it some looks, but it was displaced within an hour by another shot that was clearly juiced with high-volume links that put it at the top last evening and kept it there all night. Yeah, the linked image was a nice shot, with some fall foliage and a reflection, but a wreck would get more site views and this one not only rolled by mine, it rolled by the wrecks too. Lotsa wrecks lately.
__________________
/Kevin

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:07 AM   #216
Decapod401
Senior Member
 
Decapod401's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 309
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Well, George is one of the most prolific RP contributors and I suspect that has a lot to do with it. It is also possible that he is linking it to other sites such as Facebook.

Honestly, views-counts don't mean much anymore. Yesterday, I had a shot that cracked the top 4 at about the 15-hour mark. I thought that the home page exposure would really get it some looks, but it was displaced within an hour by another shot that was clearly juiced with high-volume links that put it at the top last evening and kept it there all night. Yeah, the linked image was a nice shot, with some fall foliage and a reflection, but a wreck would get more site views and this one not only rolled by mine, it rolled by the wrecks too. Lotsa wrecks lately.
That shot was nowhere near the quality of yours. That poster is one of a few who always make it to the top of 24, and most of the images are just not that compelling.
__________________
Doug Lilly

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:15 PM   #217
bigbassloyd
Senior Member
 
bigbassloyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hilldale, West Virginia
Posts: 3,411
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
That shot was nowhere near the quality of yours. That poster is one of a few who always make it to the top of 24, and most of the images are just not that compelling.
Agreed

Good quality falls on the blade of good face-booking every time.

Loyd L.
__________________
I may not be the greatest railroad photographer ever, but I'm certainly a much nicer person.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:46 PM   #218
Kyle Korienek
Senior Member
 
Kyle Korienek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Owosso, MI
Posts: 214
Default

Image © Stephen McNeill
PhotoID: 634918
Photograph © Stephen McNeill


Careful, wouldn't want to let that fall over and scratch that new paint.
__________________
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI.


My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:53 PM   #219
SAR Connecta
Member
 
SAR Connecta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Durban - South Africa
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
Image © Stephen McNeill
PhotoID: 634918
Photograph © Stephen McNeill


Careful, wouldn't want to let that fall over and scratch that new paint.
Have to agree, I was thinking the same and waiting for someone to comment. With regards to the HOT PHOTO status it has been given, being a South African what is that accolade all about in this example?
__________________
Charles Baker

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #220
Kyle Korienek
Senior Member
 
Kyle Korienek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Owosso, MI
Posts: 214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
Have to agree, I was thinking the same and waiting for someone to comment. With regards to the HOT PHOTO status it has been given, being a South African what is that accolade all about in this example?
Just another HUUURRRRITAGE unit, the NS ones all got the same "Hot Photo" treatment when Casey got the first shot of them. It got hyped hard by UP on their FB page for a while, so it had a lot of foamers edging themselves waiting.
__________________
Kyle Korienek
Owosso, MI.


My RP Photos

Flickr! New & Improved!

Me In A Speedo

"I don't do this to make money or to please anyone, you people are too difficult to please and too cheap to buy my crap."
Kyle Korienek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:02 PM   #221
SAR Connecta
Member
 
SAR Connecta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Durban - South Africa
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
Just another HUUURRRRITAGE unit, the NS ones all got the same "Hot Photo" treatment when Casey got the first shot of them. It got hyped hard by UP on their FB page for a while, so it had a lot of foamers edging themselves waiting.
Okay thanks Kyle, it has certainly managed to transgress a few blatant RP acceptance criteria in it's leap to red label stardom.
__________________
Charles Baker

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:15 PM   #222
troy12n
Senior Member
 
troy12n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,329
Default

The first "heritage units" photos posted are almost all universally garbage...
__________________
My RP.net photos
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:25 PM   #223
Joseph Cermak
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Cleveland, Rochester, Erie
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Korienek View Post
Image © Stephen McNeill
PhotoID: 634918
Photograph © Stephen McNeill


Careful, wouldn't want to let that fall over and scratch that new paint.
I was waiting for someone to bring this up here. Super unlevel and really tight.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:31 PM   #224
Mberry
Senior Member
 
Mberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Lasalle, Qc
Posts: 612
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
I was waiting for someone to bring this up here. Super unlevel and really tight.
A really bad shot, especially by rp standards.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 06:16 PM   #225
Grewup on the CW
Senior Member
 
Grewup on the CW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 105
Default

Certainly not level and Aggravating to when there is no screener consistency.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.