Old 11-14-2017, 04:37 PM   #1
Daniel MINACA

Default PAQ another time

Hi all,

Another time this picture have been rejected for PAQ reason, I have however explained that this boogie is unique and this picture have never been seen on RPN... and is a rare existing picture of this particular trains side !
But PAQ, this is to bad because it is really an interesting subject of French rail specificity and now retired high speed postal trains.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...02&key=1592535

What's your opinion ?

Last edited by Daniel MINACA; 11-15-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Daniel MINACA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
KevinM

Hi Daniel,

This is a tough call. I understand that there may be significance to the equipment depicted in this photo, and I understand that there have been lots of "rare view" or "rare angle" photos shown on RP in the past, but in order to get past the screeners, a "technical image" like this one also has to LOOK INTERESTING. It has to be an attention-grabber. Unfortunately, in this case, unless someone knows this equipment and understands the significance of the image, it just looks like the end of an uncoupled baggage car. Now, if it were grossly damaged, such as might be the case after a violent collision, THAT would be an attention-grabber and might have gotten in. Having a pretty girl in a bikini, sitting on the coupler would not have hurt either.

Here's the deal.... RP isn't necessarily a public repository for technically significant images. It's an entertainment site and the screeners are looking for entertaining or view-grabbing images. If a technical image looks like a view-grabber, it gets in. If not, it gets the boot. In the 2-3 seconds the screener had to evaluate this one, he didn't see that kind of value in it.

My stuff is here.

Yeah, I do Flickr too. Tons of non-RP stuff there.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #3
RobJor

LOL, here is mine, I gave it a very low chance and I suspect you may have also, for obviously different reasons. Yours may do well in a different venue , mine I am not sure but may try the local art show I enter regularily. I would not have started a thread for mine except that your showed up so just put it out there for fun.

Bob

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...82&key=8515977
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 02:02 AM   #4
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel MINACA View Post
If it was Amtrak submitted by Matt Donnelly...probably accepted. Otherwise...

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

That's an utterly boring shot. RP tries to get more viewers with the shots they accept. I can't imagine who would want to click on that. Legit rejection.

It's PAQ, by the way. Not PAC
Old 11-15-2017, 09:24 PM   #6
Daniel MINACA

Thank you at all for comments... Hope next time that will be accepted !

@Joe: Yes it is PAQ , anyway, I don't think that this kind of picture don't interest nobody !
The proof is that every time that an high speed French postal related picture is published on RPN, few days after, the counter view is over 1000 !
The last one is front view of same trainset as rejected picture above: http://www.railpictures.net/photo/636885/

@miningcamper1: I agree with you, in fact is is not American picture...

Last edited by Daniel MINACA; 11-15-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

Quote:
@Joe: Yes it is PAQ , anyway, I don't think that this kind of picture don't interest nobody !
I can only speak for myself and apparently the RP screener.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:53 PM   #8
Daniel MINACA

Yes, it is not American ! We Agree.
So screeners (as usual) don't take the time to read comments/remarks to anderstand the interest for non American stuffs... But this picture is typically the example (as many other and not only mine) of lack of knowledge of what can be interesting elsewhere and for the "world" public "to get more viewers" as you said !
Sometimes I feel that it is contempt... for non American public and pictures

Last edited by Daniel MINACA; 11-16-2017 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #9
Mberry

Quote:
Thank you at all for comments... Hope next time that will be accepted !

The proof is that every time that an high speed French postal related picture is published on RPN, few days after, the counter view is over 1000 !
The last one is front view of same trainset as rejected picture above: http://www.railpictures.net/photo/636885/

@miningcamper1: I agree with you, in fact is is not American picture...
The linked photo is of more interest visually than the rejection IMO.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #10
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Yes, it is not American ! We Agree.
So screeners (as usual) don't take the time to read comments/remarks to anderstand the interest for non American stuffs...
Don't play the "it's not an American card. I see a lot of great foreign stuff on this site. as far as comments to screeners and captions, both are great tools for this site, but it's railPICTURES.net. The photography should speak for itself
Old 11-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #11
Wendel Moran

Default Hmmm...

I found the rejected photo to be quite interesting, much more so than the pretty picture drone shots that seem to be all the rage.
Wendel Moran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #12
Daniel MINACA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Don't play the "it's not an American card. I see a lot of great foreign stuff on this site. as far as comments to screeners and captions, both are great tools for this site, but it's railPICTURES.net. The photography should speak for itself
I am unfortunately not the only one to make this statement ! Some of best photographer (I will not quote them) that I know here regret that...
Just other examples: Backlit or cloudy of European pictures are always rejected unlike the American where opinion is certainly better thinking, you find many many accepted every days...

The problem is that screeners opinion regarding a picture where "shooting technique compliance" match with RPN rules but picture subject is only matching with personal screeners tastes.

Voilą ! This was my hangover, I feel better now

Last edited by Daniel MINACA; 11-16-2017 at 09:03 PM.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:46 PM   #13
Joe the Photog

So you're trying to tell me that screening photographs is subjective? Who knew?
Old 11-16-2017, 10:04 PM   #14
miningcamper1

Quote:
I am unfortunately not the only one to make this statement ! Some of best photographer (I will not quote them) that I know here regret that...
Just other examples: Backlit or cloudy of European pictures are always rejected unlike the American where opinion is certainly better thinking, you find many many accepted every days...

The problem is that screeners opinion regarding a picture where "shooting technique compliance" match with RPN rules but picture subject is only matching with personal screeners tastes.

Voilą ! This was my hangover, I feel better now
Well, the site owners are a bit more inclusive than when the site was new- they didn't accept "foreign" at all, except for Canada.

Old 11-16-2017, 11:31 PM   #15
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
So you're trying to tell me that screening photographs is subjective? Who knew?
For a prominent site, perhaps a bit too reflective of the owners' narrow personal preferences?

Last edited by miningcamper1; 11-16-2017 at 11:34 PM. Reason: revision
Old 11-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #16
Daniel MINACA

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
For a prominent site, perhaps a bit too reflective of the owners' narrow personal preferences?
Right, exactly my opinion, I have already spoke about abusive rejection in this interesting old topic: http://forums.railpictures.net/showthread.php?t=17507

Last edited by Daniel MINACA; 11-17-2017 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #17
bigbassloyd

I'd probably be more compassionate for the argument if the person making it didn't have several hundreds photos on here.

If there is American bias, I wish there wasn't. There's too many hot steamy turds that get accepted from this side of the pond.

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #18
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I'd probably be more compassionate for the argument if the person making it didn't have several hundreds photos on here.

Loyd L.
I agree. If you have that many accepted photos here, you should have an idea of what will fly and what won't at RP. Feel free to push the boundaries with submissions, but don't complain about the rejections. My personal success rate is about 20% on "push the envelope" shots, but I don't recall ever complaining about a rejection since I figured out the RP formula. I sometimes think that the feelings of non-American bias comes from a more entitled set of expectations than the US contributors have.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:18 AM   #19
SAR Connecta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I agree. If you have that many accepted photos here, you should have an idea of what will fly and what won't at RP. Feel free to push the boundaries with submissions, but don't complain about the rejections. My personal success rate is about 20% on "push the envelope" shots, but I don't recall ever complaining about a rejection since I figured out the RP formula. I sometimes think that the feelings of non-American bias comes from a more entitled set of expectations than the US contributors have.
Agreed, well said. The bias ticket is way overplayed here too and carries no merit with me being a South African. I see the rejected photo as leaning right as well?

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:14 AM   #20
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAR Connecta View Post
Agreed, well said. The bias ticket is way overplayed here too and carries no merit with me being a South African. I see the rejected photo as leaning right as well?
Whether bias is overplayed is debatable, since a segment of USA railfans simply does not like anything "foreign". Years ago, I was one of them. Same with trolleys.
It never got to the point of me firing off an angry letter to David P. Morgan, though! Trains must have received a lot of those.

Old 11-20-2017, 12:34 AM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
LOL, here is mine, I gave it a very low chance and I suspect you may have also, for obviously different reasons. Yours may do well in a different venue , mine I am not sure but may try the local art show I enter regularily. I would not have started a thread for mine except that your showed up so just put it out there for fun.

Bob

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...82&key=8515977
Quote:
Remarks: A prairie flower pops up along the Metra ROW as an outbound Milwaukee North District train passes.
Whoa...that's one fast-poppin' prairie flower!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote