Old 11-10-2020, 02:17 PM   #1
Joseph Cermak

Default Map Broken?

Is the google maps location pin feature not working for anyone else? I went to mark a location this morning and it shows the map with a "for development purposes" overlay and will not search locations or give a pin. Wasn't sure if this was just on my end or something on the site.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #2
TedG

I just had a problem myself, although it said "could not load the page correctly". The workaround seemed to be to just type in the coordinates (in decimal format) in the box, even without having the pindrop.
/Ted
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:34 PM   #3
bigbassloyd

I guess after 4 months I could upload something and see if it works for me. I'll try it out tonight.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
Mberry

Exact same problem for me this morning.
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:02 PM   #5
KevinM

Yes, it is broken....Tango Uniform.

Got an odd message last night when I tried to pin the location of my latest submission. I tried it again this AM. Still not working.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Albums from Steam Railroads all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 03:24 PM   #6
Joseph Cermak

Well I guess that's better than it just being me....hopefully admin see this and can repair.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #7
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedG View Post
I just had a problem myself, although it said "could not load the page correctly". The workaround seemed to be to just type in the coordinates (in decimal format) in the box, even without having the pindrop.
/Ted
This worked for me, thanks.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:15 PM   #8
KevinM

Quote:
/Ted

I've never been a fan of the degrees and decimal degrees format, especially using negative numbers for west longitude. Perhaps it is popular now because Google Maps uses it. Otherwise, it would just be a major PITA. None of the GPS systems that I use in aircraft or vehicles use that format. It took me a couple of shots to get the format correct, but it does work. Obviously, it would be better to understand why the original process broke and see if it can be fixed. A lot of people don't geo-tag their photos here and I suspect the current situation won't increase the numbers.

Stuff like this is irritating. It's similar to when Microsoft suddenly downloads some "new and improved" version of Windows......and nothing looks like it used to. My approach to life is: If it works, don't mess with it!

My RP stuff is here.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:33 PM   #9
Flowing

I just put up my first shot in months and also found the map feature not working. I tried entering the decimal coordinates, which were accepted, but the location pin isn't showing up - it just shows a zoomed out world view. As a geographer by trade, and hobby, I always have really enjoyed any photo-related map feature. The map service Flickr uses is much less accurate and user friendly than Google.
Flowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #10
J-M Frybourg

What is going on with map location? It is completely broken now. I can't add any location to my pictures.
Old 11-25-2020, 10:17 AM   #11
TedG

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-M Frybourg View Post
What is going on with map location? It is completely broken now. I can't add any location to my pictures.
Even worse, take a look at your profile page--a blank map box, where you've gone to the effort to mark locations in the past. (Which is kind of weird, since my profile page shows a map and pins, but with a popup that says "This page can't load Google Maps correctly".)

Almost two weeks now and no fix! I even emailed ADMIN directly, in case no one happened across this thread.
/Ted
Old 12-03-2020, 12:30 AM   #12
Mgoldman

And yet... the map feature still works, apparently, for some:

Image © Greg Grice
PhotoID: 755756
Photograph © Greg Grice

No luck on my end - and here I went to all the trouble to document both Monmouth Junction, NJ and Gap, PA - the midpoint of two of the longest stretches of track between stations (and consequently, photos) on their respective Corridors, lol.

Hope admin takes some time to look into this....

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #13
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
And yet... the map feature still works, apparently, for some:

/Mitch
Interesting to see he got it to work....wonder if there is a work around that's possible. Either way, it should not be a hard fix for admin, I believe the Google Map plugin just needs to be updated or something of the sort, but they appear to not have acknowledged the issue yet.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #14
bigbassloyd

Maybe the map option is now a special perk to being elite?

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 07:10 PM   #15
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Maybe the map option is now a special perk to being elite?

Loyd L.
Don't believe so....if it was it should still work for me...
Old 12-04-2020, 01:25 PM   #16
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Cermak View Post
Interesting to see he got it to work....wonder if there is a work around that's possible. Either way, it should not be a hard fix for admin, I believe the Google Map plugin just needs to be updated or something of the sort, but they appear to not have acknowledged the issue yet.
You must have missed TedG's post further up, which has a workaround which I've been using. Just get the coordinates from Google Maps, plug them in at the bottom and you're good.

Image © Michael Berry
PhotoID: 756032
Photograph © Michael Berry

[And it's been so long, I've forgotten how to get a direct link working here!]

Last edited by Mberry; 12-04-2020 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2020, 02:35 PM   #17
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
You must have missed TedG's post further up, which has a workaround which I've been using. Just get the coordinates from Google Maps, plug them in at the bottom and you're good.

https://www.railpictures.net/photo/756032/

[And it's been so long, I've forgotten how to get a direct link working here!]
If you forget, just quote a post that has a direct link and you can see the format.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #18
Mberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
If you forget, just quote a post that has a direct link and you can see the format.

Bob
That worked, thanks!
Old 12-04-2020, 11:01 PM   #19
TedG

Yep, the workaround I posted on 11/10/20 will handle the immediate need when you're submitting a photo. However, it doesn't do anything for the state of the User Photo Map on your personal profile page, which remains in shambles.
/Ted
Old 12-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #20
KevinM

Quote:
Yep, the workaround I posted on 11/10/20 will handle the immediate need when you're submitting a photo. However, it doesn't do anything for the state of the User Photo Map on your personal profile page, which remains in shambles.
/Ted
Interestingly enough, if you go to your profile page, scroll to the map and let it sit for a while, the pins do come up and you can click on them and see the photos. The map still has "For Development Purposes Only" plastered all over it, but it does work.....sort of .

Yeah, unfortunately, the site does need a little attention. I'm thinking that Google Maps made some sort of change and that has resulted in a need to overhaul the site code to properly shake hands with it. I suspect that Admin probably looked at it and realized it wasn't going to be a 10 minute fix, so it's on the to-do list. These folks have day-jobs that command their priorities, just like many of us.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:59 PM   #21
TedG

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Interestingly enough, if you go to your profile page, scroll to the map and let it sit for a while, the pins do come up and you can click on them and see the photos. The map still has "For Development Purposes Only" plastered all over it, but it does work.....sort of .

Yeah, unfortunately, the site does need a little attention. I'm thinking that Google Maps made some sort of change and that has resulted in a need to overhaul the site code to properly shake hands with it. I suspect that Admin probably looked at it and realized it wasn't going to be a 10 minute fix, so it's on the to-do list. These folks have day-jobs that command their priorities, just like many of us.
Kevin,
I would concur with your forensic analysis of the situation. Getting the two to "shake hands" is a good way to put it.

I can't help but wonder though--if the system for automatic billing for elite membership renewal went down--would that system get repaired on a more timely basis? I suspect the answer is "yes".
/Ted
Old 12-11-2020, 01:36 AM   #22
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Hi,

Thank you for bringing the map issue to our attention. On the programming side, RP is basically a one man show, and some of you who know me personally know that I make my primary living in online retail. As you can imagine, I don't have time to focus on much else this time of year. The holiday rush will calm down around New Year after everyone has spent their Amazon and eBay gift cards and I should then have time to try to figure out what in the world Google has done to break the maps feature.

Thanks for your patience, and Happy Holidays!
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 03:31 AM   #23
TedG

Thanks, Chris. At least now we know you're aware of the problem. So I, for one, will stop whining. At least until the second week of January.
/Ted
Old 12-11-2020, 02:51 PM   #24
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Kilroy View Post
Hi,

Thank you for bringing the map issue to our attention. On the programming side, RP is basically a one man show, and some of you who know me personally know that I make my primary living in online retail. As you can imagine, I don't have time to focus on much else this time of year. The holiday rush will calm down around New Year after everyone has spent their Amazon and eBay gift cards and I should then have time to try to figure out what in the world Google has done to break the maps feature.

Thanks for your patience, and Happy Holidays!
Thanks for the reply, look forward to the eventual fix after the holidays!
Old 01-02-2021, 08:00 PM   #25
Mberry

Now all mapping info is completely gone.... hopefully a temporary thing.