Old 07-13-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
rathman11

Default Ideas?

I'm assuming I left too much room on the left side of this photo when I tried keeping the signal in but I was just curious what others thought. I do have some room on the right side of the photo that I could possibly work with but I fear it may emphasize the shadows on the nearside tracks. Should I work with it or add it to the personal collection?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=931999026
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BNSF6231.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	4405  

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
rathman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:56 PM   #2
stlgevo51

Yeah the train is at almost the dead center.
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
wongm

Do you have a shot a few seconds later? To me the crossing gate doesn't seem interesting enough to take up 1/3 or the frame.
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:37 AM   #4
rathman11

Marcus, I do but the image is a tad blurry, noticeable in the trailing freight cars. Tell me what you think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BNSF6232.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	4407  

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
Old 07-14-2009, 02:44 AM   #5
MDH

Ohhh... that's a tough one - the first shot looks to have a little better image quality but "clutter" all around that's not particularly appealing. The second shot would be better if the lead engine was a little further forward with just tree around it - but as it is half the crossing protection is "growing" out the side of the cab and you may have uncorrectable image quality issues. If you shoot again at this location I'd probably try the other side of the road and just get the train without the crossing clutter - it looks like a tough one to work the crossing into the shot in an appealing way.

You might be able to re-work the rejection to give more space on the right and follow rule of thirds but you'll end up with a bunch of cut off clutter around the train. May want to just keep for yourself - but whatever you do, good luck! I like'd that train - got that power two days earlier in Ohio on CSX Q381...

Regards,
Michael

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

RP likes more sky, less ground.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 PM   #7
rathman11

I messed around with the photo and tried various crops but I just could not come up with anything appealing. I really wanted to get this neat consist on the site but it looks like I will just have to keep it in the personal collection. I wish I would have had more time to get set up but I noticed the train not too far off in the distance when I was crossing over the tracks on my way to work and had just barely enough time to run up near the tracks and grab a few shots. However, I do like the location and plan on getting back there to rework the area for a better shot.

I do have one additional question that I am hoping to get some responses to. I purchased the Canon EF-S 55-250 mm f/4-5.6 IS lens as some of you suggested and I have noticed that my image quality is not as good, I seem to shake more with this lens than I do with the 18-55 mm kit lens. Is this because of the additional weight and not being familiar with it yet or are there any other reasons as to why this is happening? Are there any preferred settings that should be used with this lens? I also have been trying out the manual AF point selection with the middle point selected rather than automatic selection. Is one better than the other and could this be the reason for some of my recent blurry photos?

As always, thanks in advance!

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
Old 07-16-2009, 12:39 AM   #8
wongm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathman11 View Post
I seem to shake more with this lens than I do with the 18-55 mm kit lens.
What shutter speed are you using? 1/500 seconds is bog standard for sunshine, or faster if you can make it. When you start getting around 1/250 or slower motion blur can be an issue with faster trains. Even if you are using auto it tells you what shutter speed it has selected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rathman11 View Post
I also have been trying out the manual AF point selection with the middle point selected rather than automatic selection. Is one better than the other and could this be the reason for some of my recent blurry photos?
I have found that manually selecting the focus point reduces the chance of the AF locking onto a tree or grass in front of the train, but increases the change of the AF being unable to get a lock at all, resulting in missing the shot.

Most of the time AF locks onto the nose, but you want to focus slightly back from the front of the train, so the back of the train is still in focus.
wongm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:37 AM   #9
rathman11

Ha, you know Marcus it just crossed my mind that I was using a slow shutter speed. I am so used to shooting along the DM&E which if you don't know has a slow order of a whopping 10 MPH right now! I will make sure I am up around 1/1000 next time. When you use manual focus do you select which focus point you want to use based on the type of shot you are taking?

My RP photos

Flickr Photos
Old 07-16-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Yurijosh

yeah,

Train is almost in center..

microstock agencies
Yurijosh is offline   Reply With Quote