Go Back   RailPictures.Net Forums > Railroad Photography Forums > Railroad Photography Forum

Old 02-05-2018, 04:45 AM   #626
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I don't see an issue with the backlit snow shot...
He handled it well, but I have to wonder why he chose to shoot straight into the sun glare.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:28 PM   #627
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
He handled it well, but I have to wonder why he chose to shoot straight into the sun glare.
Looking at that image, there may have been some other atmospheric phenomenon at work, such as haze or blowing snow in the air. Those conditions can produce some interesting visual effects.

When you shoot into the sun, lens flares are the most common result, even with expensive lenses. In this case, the image could potentially have benefited from the use of a CP filter. Lots of people run around with CP filters on their lens all the time, and most of the time, all it does is rob them of 2 stops of light. Its when the sun is in front of your 3-9 line that the CP can be rather useful. Other than being a PITA to dig out and screw on at the last minute, I personally kick myself for not using that $100 piece of glass more often. In recent years, I've been shooting backlit a lot and that filter could have improved some of the resulting images.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:04 PM   #628
ShortlinesUSA

The light effects I see are caused by ice crystals, likely kicked up by the wind. This is a small scale (and pretty darn cool) phenomena not so often seen. It is much more commonly seen high in the sky when a layer of cirrus clouds (which are ice crystals) are between the viewer and the sun, and a halo and/or small rainbow-like spots at the 90 degree points known as "sun dogs" are visible.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 04:20 AM   #629
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by jac_murphy View Post
Why? It's well-executed. It'd be easy to overcook a photo taken in similar conditions, but I find the processing to be quite tasteful.

-Jacques
Processing? Doesn't look like any was done. Needs more contrast. If you're going to include a blown out sun flare, at least make it pop.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:39 PM   #630
lefflerlad

Interesting.

Image © Phillip Johnson
PhotoID: 647937
Photograph © Phillip Johnson
lefflerlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:09 AM   #631
amtrak07t

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefflerlad View Post
Interesting.

Image © Phillip Johnson
PhotoID: 647937
Very interesting.
amtrak07t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:28 AM   #632
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
Very interesting.
Went on a real photo blitz out of nowhere. Some have the date, some the month and some just the year.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:43 AM   #633
amtrak07t

Image © Phillip Johnson
PhotoID: 647978

Holy color
Old 02-12-2018, 12:59 PM   #634
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Went on a real photo blitz out of nowhere. Some have the date, some the month and some just the year.

Bob
All have the obtrusive tacky watermark.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:13 AM   #635
Mberry

Quote:

Bob
A pet peeve of mine. For a photo taken digitally, is it that hard to look up and then put the actual date?
Mberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:47 AM   #636
Joseph Cermak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mberry View Post
A pet peeve of mine. For a photo taken digitally, is it that hard to look up and then put the actual date?
I agree. Makes it really hard to look for photos taken at the same event or of the same train.
Joseph Cermak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:01 AM   #637
RobJor

Image © Matt Landry
PhotoID: 648079
Photograph © Matt Landry

Just throwing this out for thoughts??

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 02-13-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:29 AM   #638
KevinM

Quote:
Image © Matt Landry
Photograph © Matt Landry

Bob
Looks like the Castle Bravo shot.....about 15 MT, if I recall correctly.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:35 AM   #639
miningcamper1

Quote:
Image © Matt Landry
Photograph © Matt Landry

Bob
Nuclear blast?

Old 02-13-2018, 02:01 PM   #640
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Image © Matt Landry
Photograph © Matt Landry

Bob
Bad editing plus terrible screening coming together to provide another facebook campaigned TO24 that should have been destroyed with rejections.

Great job to all involved with that disaster...

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 PM   #641
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Looks like the Castle Bravo shot.....about 15 MT, if I recall correctly.
I'd wager it was a Kuzkina Mat (Tsar Bomba) level yield lol

Loyd L.

American Rails dot com - A fantastic website with tons of information and photographs related to American railroads and locomotives.

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 02-13-2018 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:35 PM   #642
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I'd wager it was a Kuzkina mat (Tsar Bomba) level yield lol

Loyd L.
Shooting directly into the sun is definitely a challenge. I'm personally more than a little fearful of it because I am afraid of hurting my eyes. Often, you're trying to balance not completely blowing the sun to hell, while still preserving something to recover the foreground details, as this photographer was trying to do. That doesn't make the image any easier to process. Plus, if there's even a thin layer of clouds around the sun, the camera certainly could make it look like a massive nuclear fireball.

Yes, I have had a few sunrise and sunset shots in which I wish the sun ended up looking more like the real sun than it did. The number that I ended up trying to post here was pretty small. In the end, the decision was based on whether or not I felt that the scene was dominated by the nuclear blast, like the one we are discussing. In most cases, the answer was no.

This one was kind of a "fail":
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 416382
Photograph © Kevin Madore

This one was a tad better:
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 603703

One of my favorite into-the-sun shots was pulled off a few years ago by my friend Mitch Goldman. He also had that thin layer of cirrus to deal with, but he pulled it off nicely, IMHO:
Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 315116
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-13-2018, 03:34 PM   #643
bigbassloyd

I see nothing wrong with a small sun-shaped blow out as you've linked because that's about as close to getting it right as you can get. But 75% of the sky being lost is inexcusable.

Loyd L.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:34 PM   #644
KevinM

Quote:
I see nothing wrong with a small sun-shaped blow out as you've linked because that's about as close to getting it right as you can get. But 75% of the sky being lost is inexcusable.

Loyd L.
I agree. As I noted in my previous post, my first reaction to the current To24 was that it looked like a picture of an atmospheric nuclear test. Its popularity must have been a combination of pure curiosity ("How the hell did THAT get accepted?") and a Facebook Campaign. And we all know, a Facebook Campaign trumps quality every time. I look forward to the day when Facebook goes the way of MySpace.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #645
miningcamper1

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Shooting directly into the sun is definitely a challenge. I'm personally more than a little fearful of it because I am afraid of hurting my eyes. Often, you're trying to balance not completely blowing the sun to hell, while still preserving something to recover the foreground details, as this photographer was trying to do. That doesn't make the image any easier to process. Plus, if there's even a thin layer of clouds around the sun, the camera certainly could make it look like a massive nuclear fireball.

Yes, I have had a few sunrise and sunset shots in which I wish the sun ended up looking more like the real sun than it did. The number that I ended up trying to post here was pretty small. In the end, the decision was based on whether or not I felt that the scene was dominated by the nuclear blast, like the one we are discussing. In most cases, the answer was no.

This one was kind of a "fail":
Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 416382

The satellite view of that stretch is like nothing I've seen before. Erosion will probably fix that give or take a million years.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #646
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
The satellite view of that stretch is like nothing I've seen before. Erosion will probably fix that give or take a million years.
It looks terrible on Google Earth, but amazingly, it photographs pretty well. The Sumpter Valley Fall Photo Train is one of the best deals going. They have nice variety of equipment and they have really nice people. Martin Hansen usually leads those trips and he has experience both as a railroader and a photographer. In the case of that particular shot, a layer of ground fog got between me and the sun and the result was a bit of a fireball.

The EPA would never allow land to be dredged and left in that fashion, the way it was back in the mid-20th century. The mining company would have to do some remediation.....which is probably the reason that even with newer mining techniques available, it is probably not worth it to them to go back there.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 02-13-2018, 09:04 PM   #647
RobJor

Quote:

Loyd L.
I was waiting for Screeners choice.

Bob
Old 02-14-2018, 02:24 AM   #648
troy12n

Quote:
Bad editing plus terrible screening coming together to provide another facebook campaigned TO24 that should have been destroyed with rejections.

Loyd L.
Bad editing that is fixable in photoshop. A quick "hue" fix would have made it much more presentable. It's not going to fix the blown out parts, but the color would at least look a little more natural.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:36 AM   #649
amtrak07t

Quote:
Image © Matt Landry
Photograph © Matt Landry

Loyd L.
7,000 views? Maybe everyone just wanted to see how terrible this image is.
I think this goes beyond Facebook campaigning. I wouldn't be surprised if he used some form of bot to raise views.

Shame on the Screeners for taking this. It's a valuable skill to realize that you failed. I would be embarrassed to put this image in my personal collection, let alone post it to the internet with a watermark. Perhaps someone can blackmail me by threatening to put my watermark on it.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:01 AM   #650
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtrak07t View Post
7,000 views? Maybe everyone just wanted to see how terrible this image is.
I think this goes beyond Facebook campaigning. I wouldn't be surprised if he used some form of bot to raise views.
The image sat at the To24 position for the better part of the day, which will generally get you thousands of views. I'm lucky if once and a while, I can get one in the top 4 for an hour before its 24-hr clock expires. But mostly these days, I watch the heavily campaigned stuff whiz past mine.....or perhaps I should say whiz ON mine.

My RP stuff is here.