Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #1
Irina

Default What's wrong with my picture?

The following photo:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=934487117

was rejected with the reason:

- Obstructing Objects (Foreground Clutter)

What does the Screener mean saying about Foreground Clutter? I do not quite understand. I do not see obstructing objects besides the reflection in the water! I do not agree

This bridge across the Daugapils river is absent in the gallery RailPuctures.Net. It is interesting that the three national railways are present in the picture, namely, the train of the Russian railways lead by the locomotive of the Lithuanian Railways runs the line with the railroad bridge of the Latvian Railway.

I haven't any idea of what can help to improve the picture.

What do you think?

Thanks.

Irina
Ekaterinburg, Russia

P.S. Nikon Coolpix S4 digital camera.

My photos on Railpictures.Net

Last edited by Irina; 10-10-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Irina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
nikos1

RP Just doesnt like these types of bridges. Assuming you can redo this shot, there are two ways to approach it. Get a train going the other way, and frame the nose in the openings of the diagonal crossmembers, option two which will likely yield better results is going to the end of the bridge, and get the train exiting the box truss from a 3/4 angle showing the bridge behind it.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #3
dejv

Quote:
What does the Screener mean saying about Foreground Clutter?
Exactly this: http://forums.railpictures.net/showp...06&postcount=4
The nose of the train must be visible. The train is also going away from you in your photo but RP prefers photos with trains going towards you.

If you didn't state Ekaterinburg as your place, I'd have wished you good luck for reshoot.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Last edited by dejv; 10-10-2009 at 07:29 PM.
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
JRMDC

Another issue: next time, should you go back, aim down, get the entire reflection in the water, which is more interesting than the sky.

In general the more interesting the shot the more RP is willing to overlook the technical details; that might have helped here.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:02 PM   #5
Irina

But the reason for rejection is other, different from what you say!

But what if the bridge would be without a train at all?

In the evening when this train goes back towards me it was too dark and so the shooting had failed. The train is only two times a day here. I liked to shoot just this passenger train with the old locomotive TEP60. The freight trains are also not frequent here.

This picture was shooted at 6:15 in the morning.

Thanks for wishes but I have no chance for reshoot. Nevertheless, I like this picture. So it's a pity...

Last edited by Irina; 10-10-2009 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I think you're missing the point. The bridge components are covering up the train. I think what Janusz is saying is that it would be a much nicer composition if you captured the entire reflection of the bridge in the water along with the actual bridge above. In this way they may overlook the fact that the train is covered up by the bridge components.

I hope this helps you understand better.

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #7
henfiet

I agree with Chris here on this one. Including the water reflection may be your only hope on this one with the screeners. With the bridge design, it's pretty hard to see the train details. Too bad this bridge isn't surrounded by lights, as that would make it one heck of a night shot like the one below.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...299486&nseq=48

If it weren't for the cool night lighting effects, this pic probably wouldn't have made it. The train is nothing more than a streak, and the bridge design isn't all that forgiving even if it were a daylight locomotive shot. Anyway, give the reflection shot a try, and let us know. (for the sake of our/my own curiosity!) And I can certainly understand the frustration involving the train running when you DON'T need it to! Been there, done that on more occasions than I can count!
henfiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
Dennis A. Livesey

Let me first say I'm flattered that my shot was brought into this discussion!

Image © Dennis A. Livesey-liveseyimages.com
PhotoID: 299486
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey-liveseyimages.com

Hopefully I can add some constructive comments.

It would appear that new member frustration in getting an image accepted on RP knows no national boundaries since Irina is in Latvia but has the same puzzlement as any person from the States or elsewhere.

The bridge is the clutter; we can't see the train. As was stated, seeing the front of the train clearly between the girders is needed to make such a bridge work as a photo on RP.

Here is a good example:

Image © Thomas Johnson
PhotoID: 299938
Photograph © Thomas Johnson

Janusz made a fine suggestion that if you can go back include the reflection, that would be more interesting and then maybe it would get in.

As it is, the train is very obscured, dark, hard to see, and the bridge is very centered in the image.

RP only cares about how good the image is as a photograph. Rare, old, new, hard-to-get trains, RP does not care about; the image must be an excellent photo.

Good luck and welcome to RP!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #9
dejv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irina View Post
Ekaterinburg, Russia
Quote:
Thanks for wishes but I have no chance for reshoot. Nevertheless, I like this picture. So it's a pity...
Quote:
Originally Posted by henfiet View Post
Anyway, give the reflection shot a try, and let us know. (for the sake of our/my own curiosity!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
It would appear that new member frustration in getting an image accepted on RP knows no national boundaries since Irina is in Latvia
Janusz made a fine suggestion that if you can go back include the reflection, that would be more interesting and then maybe it would get in.
Is it so hard to read from her second post at least that she's not from Latvia and she actually lives far away from the place of the photo?

Regarding frustration, that's the same everywhere.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
dejv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
jdirelan87

Quote:
But the reason for rejection is other, different from what you say!

But what if the bridge would be without a train at all?

In the evening when this train goes back towards me it was too dark and so the shooting had failed. The train is only two times a day here. I liked to shoot just this passenger train with the old locomotive TEP60. The freight trains are also not frequent here.

This picture was shooted at 6:15 in the morning.

One of the realities of this hobby is that it can literally take months or even years to get an opportunity to capture a particular shot under the right conditions. I recently made a cross country move and even after four years of heavily shooting my previous location, there still are countless shots there I was never able to get because the opportunity never presented itself.

I would suggest going back when the days are longer (having said that, I didn't look at the date the photo was taken, so this might be a moot point). If that doesn't work, if possible keep an eye on the train's on time performance and go on a day when its running late.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #11
Irina

Thanks to all of you for the helpful dusscusion. It seemed me that this particular train is garnishing the bridge no matter towards me or away from me the train is going. Due to the discussions, I knew a lot of points and RP' preferences.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Irina try a broad side and be on the same side as it's going and get the power or lead car as it is coming off the bridge. Don't give up as getting the right one finely feels so good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ekaterinburg, irina, russia