Old 10-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
henfiet

Default Duplication.....again!

Well, I searched the forum but couldn't find another post about this, so my apologies if I'm duplicating a former post here!

Anyway, here's proof that you can sneak one (or two) past the screeners every now and then! Same picture by the same person....both are accepted. Whoops!

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=300522&nseq=7

http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=300521&nseq=32
henfiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henfiet View Post
Well, I searched the forum but couldn't find another post about this
That's because posting on the forums about such situations might embarrass the photographer, who most likely....in fact, almost guaranteed.....did not intend for this to happen. A better way to address it is to send a Private Message to the photographer and let him/her work with the Admins to correct it.

Quote:
Anyway, here's proof that you can sneak one (or two) past the screeners every now and then! Same picture by the same person....both are accepted. Whoops!
In this case, the photographer is one of the more popular shooters here and posts high quality stuff. I pretty well doubt that he intended to post a duplicate shot, which would take views away from the original....particularly since those views might be lost when the duplicate is ultimately discovered and deleted.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #3
henfiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
That's because posting on the forums about such situations might embarrass the photographer, who most likely....in fact, almost guaranteed.....did not intend for this to happen. A better way to address it is to send a Private Message to the photographer and let him/her work with the Admins to correct it.
The embarassment lies not with the photographer here, but with the screeners for the goof. From the looks of it, he likely hit the send button twice as the photos are sequentially numbered. How this managed to get past the screeners is anyone's guess. Could it be that whomever screened it saw his name and instantly approved it because he is "one of the more popular shooters here and posts high quality stuff" as you put it? Only the screener(s) know that one, and I doubt they will tell. Actually, this post will likely get deleted just for suggesting that because we all know that they would NEVER do something like that! (laugh)
I have known of two people (names withheld) who deliberately snuck in duplicate photos just to see if they could pull it off....and it worked 99% of the time, before someone called it out on this forum or elsewhere, and one of the duplicates was promptly removed. This photo is actually quite good, and it was not my intention to knock down the photographer.
henfiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #4
KevinM

Quote:
I have known of two people (names withheld) who deliberately snuck in duplicate photos just to see if they could pull it off....and it worked 99% of the time
Yeah, the man upstairs gives us all a brain, but he leaves it up to us as to whether or not we use it constructively.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
DWHonan

Quote:
This photo is actually quite good, and it was not my intention to knock down the photographer.
And I'm sure Lennie didn't intend to kill the mouse or the woman... but he sure did. And likewise, you sure did take a swipe at Mr. Belmont:

Quote:
Way to handle the situation in a classy, respectful manner.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Joe the Photog

Anyone consider the possibility that two screeners were busy at the same time and each one saw the shots in question? With all of these shots in the database and all the shots they screen daily, it would be foolish to believe that mistakes did not happen now and then. And to the original poster, exactly why would a photographer want dulpicates of the same scene in the database?
Old 10-16-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
jnohallman

I happen to know (because I did send a private message to the photographer in question) that he is aware of the duplicate post and has already contacted the site admins about the issue.

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

This is the world we live in today... someone makes a mistake (because we're human)... others use those mistakes to try to prove their conspiracy theories that there are evil plots all around are true.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 08:01 PM   #9
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
This is the world we live in today... someone makes a mistake (because we're human)... others use those mistakes to try to prove their conspiracy theories that there are evil plots all around are true.
Amen. Who would believe that someone could make a mistake? Or that the same internet glitch that caused the original uploader to upload two shots back-to-back could happen on the screener's end as well???

It won't be too much longer before someone cracks the conspiracy that one of the screeners was on the Grassy Knoll in November of '63 or was paid off by the Bush administration to plant some charges in the World Trade Center on 9/11...
Old 10-16-2009, 08:20 PM   #10
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Quote:
The embarassment lies not with the photographer here, but with the screeners for the goof. From the looks of it, he likely hit the send button twice as the photos are sequentially numbered. How this managed to get past the screeners is anyone's guess. Could it be that whomever screened it saw his name and instantly approved it because he is "one of the more popular shooters here and posts high quality stuff" as you put it? Only the screener(s) know that one, and I doubt they will tell. Actually, this post will likely get deleted just for suggesting that because we all know that they would NEVER do something like that! (laugh)
I have known of two people (names withheld) who deliberately snuck in duplicate photos just to see if they could pull it off....and it worked 99% of the time, before someone called it out on this forum or elsewhere, and one of the duplicates was promptly removed. This photo is actually quite good, and it was not my intention to knock down the photographer.
You have a horrible attitude about this place. I agree with Joe Hinson in that it is quite possible two screeners were screening at the same time. If that's the case, then oh well, there is a quick solution and all is well.

Simply judging by the fact that your getting all worked up over this duplication, I would imagine you have some issues of your own. Don't we all? I wouldn't suggest starting another thread like this. James Belmont is a really good photog here on RP.net and I definitely respect the guy. Perhaps this is just a jealousy thing? Maybe you take horrible photos and you're looking for a way to bring down "good" photogs?

Either way, I would consider getting a life and stay out of business that doesn't concern you.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
KevinM

Quote:
Could it be that whomever screened it saw his name and instantly approved it because he is "one of the more popular shooters here and posts high quality stuff" as you put it? Only the screener(s) know that one, and I doubt they will tell.
There seems to be a school of thought among some folks that the Screeners on this site give certain folks a free pass. While I can't prove or dispel that theory, I can speak to my own experience. I have something over 350 shots on the RP data base, although my view-counts are just average. I've got news for you. I get rejections. I don't get lots and lots of them, because I'm pretty careful in my shot selection and I spend a lot of time working on each one. I've also seen dozens of rejects on the forum from people who are a whole lot better at this than I am. Clearly, they get rejections too.

Could it be that the Screeners look forward to screening shots from some folks rather than others? Heck, yeah! I can bet that most of them would ten times rather screen shots from certain people because they know that they won't see those folks shotgunning 10 awful frames per day in an effort to "sneak" one through. But the evidence I see still says they don't get a free pass.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:35 AM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
I have known of two people (names withheld) who deliberately snuck in duplicate photos just to see if they could pull it off....and it worked 99% of the time, before someone called it out on this forum or elsewhere, and one of the duplicates was promptly removed.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #13
John Craft

Quote:
I have known of two people (names withheld) who deliberately snuck in duplicate photos just to see if they could pull it off....and it worked 99% of the time
My, what exciting lives you and your friends lead.
John Craft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:52 PM   #14
bigbassloyd

RP isn't perfect?

HOLY CRAP WHAT A REVELATION!!!

Next you'll try to tell me it will be getting dark tonight...

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote