Old 10-14-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
AntD.

Exclamation Bad Color...Am I Colorblind?

Ok it seems to me that I'm either getting hit with "bad color" rejects on my late evening photos or either "undersharpened" or "oversharpened" on others.

Somebody please tell me how this shot is "bad color"?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1135207792

This was taken at about the same time, but on a different day as this photo that was hit with bad color but then my appeal was accepted.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=296002
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:25 AM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

It may be your monitor as there a bit over saturated on mine. I add, The CSX is over sharpened to, Fix that or it will get hit for that to. Your shots are dead on other wise.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/

Last edited by milwman; 10-15-2009 at 12:29 AM.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 01:48 AM   #3
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671

Oversaturated.

Chase
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:27 AM   #4
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase55671 View Post
Oversaturated.

Chase
Your right, I am bad at English.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:32 PM   #5
henfiet

Well, the first shot does indeed have the slightest hint of oversaturation at first glance. But then again, you might have to forgive the screener(s) as they are probably not used to seeing a freshly painted engine with its "true colors" shining. Most everything you see on here is covered in road grime and dirt, and the colors are more faded. After looking at the colors in the surrounding landscape, and from knowing what a freshly painted YN3 unit looks like in person, I'd say the colors here are just about a spot on match. But to appease the screeners, you might want to back off on the yellow tint just a bit and soften up the lead unit and you should get your acceptance!
And even though the paint shop "crapped" on another one of my favorite CR-painted units, it's nice to see fresh, clean YN3 paint too! Thanks for sharing!
henfiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #6
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by henfiet View Post
But then again, you might have to forgive the screener(s) as they are probably not used to seeing a freshly painted engine with its "true colors" shining.
Why is everything the screener's fault with you? Do you really think the screeners don't know what new Yn3 paint looks like. Huh. Maybe he had his eyes closed when he took this shot:
Image © Chris Starnes
PhotoID: 237485
Photograph © Chris Starnes

Maybe the shot was rejected because, you know what, the color is off and a bit dark. But that wouldn't fit into your view of the screeners screwing everything up...
Old 10-16-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Well, the first shot does indeed have the slightest hint of oversaturation at first glance. But then again, you might have to forgive the screener(s) as they are probably not used to seeing a freshly painted engine with its "true colors" shining. Most everything you see on here is covered in road grime and dirt, and the colors are more faded. After looking at the colors in the surrounding landscape, and from knowing what a freshly painted YN3 unit looks like in person, I'd say the colors here are just about a spot on match. But to appease the screeners, you might want to back off on the yellow tint just a bit and soften up the lead unit and you should get your acceptance!
And even though the paint shop "crapped" on another one of my favorite CR-painted units, it's nice to see fresh, clean YN3 paint too! Thanks for sharing!
Horrible advice. The train is oversaturated. Simple as that. It's not new and crisp, Yn3, that is giving the image a bad color appearance. It simply has way too much yellow. The screeners obviously agreed.

Chase
Old 10-16-2009, 10:05 PM   #8
henfiet

Quote:
Horrible advice. The train is oversaturated. Simple as that. It's not new and crisp, Yn3, that is giving the image a bad color appearance. It simply has way too much yellow. The screeners obviously agreed.

Chase
You know, I've noticed that you have a unique way of being about as unpolite in your posts as you possibly can be most of the time. You either say something like the quote above, or you tell people to "grow up" when they disagree with you or make you mad in some way. (or something else along those lines.) I tried to be nice and simply say that the photo was good and could be made better with a little tweaking which would likely get it accepted. And and I'm sorry, but I have a slight problem with you saying Anthony's shot is oversaturated when you've got an accepted photo of your own that's so horribly yellow that it makes my eyes hurt?! I'd also tack on a "common power, common angle" to this along with the utility pole shadow streaking up the side of the engine.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...299483&nseq=12

Yeah, I'm sure you won't like being called out on your photo (and I'm sure some of your buddies won't like it either), but you said this guy's pic was oversaturated, and I felt it was fair to show him and others that at least one of yours is too!
Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
You know, I've noticed that you have a unique way of being about as unpolite in your posts as you possibly can be most of the time. You either say something like the quote above, or you tell people to "grow up" when they disagree with you or make you mad in some way. (or something else along those lines.) I tried to be nice and simply say that the photo was good and could be made better with a little tweaking which would likely get it accepted. And and I'm sorry, but I have a slight problem with you saying Anthony's shot is oversaturated when you've got an accepted photo of your own that's so horribly yellow that it makes my eyes hurt?! I'd also tack on a "common power, common angle" to this along with the utility pole shadow streaking up the side of the engine.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...299483&nseq=12

Yeah, I'm sure you won't like being called out on your photo (and I'm sure some of your buddies won't like it either), but you said this guy's pic was oversaturated, and I felt it was fair to show him and others that at least one of yours is too!
I'm generally only impolite when I think the specific person deserves it. I'm sure other members here can tell you that I'm not always a jerk when it comes to discussions on here. You called out the screeners for accepting two of the same images and now you're giving the screeners a hard time over the over saturated nose on that CW40-8. Honestly, there is no need to give these screeners a hard time. They run a good site. I'm also not generally a person to jump to conclusion, but from what I've gathered, you've got a huge problem with the people who run this site. That's YOUR problem, and you shouldn't provide incorrect advice to members who are requesting valid answers.

I don't mind being called out on my photo, if I think you have a valid point. Not sure why you think I am an uber arse. That common power/common angle comment makes you sound like our best friend, Dan Valentine. I'd be willing to guess you're part of this mighty clan.

Do you have any accepted images in the DB by any chance?

Chase
Old 10-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #10
JRMDC

I, having no standing to arbitrate, nonetheless do so and declare both of you right and both of your wrong. According to my own views, of course! Hen is more wrong, though.

The original shot here, I do a -10 on yellow saturation and the nose looks a lot better. Instead of glowing yellow, it glows mustard, as YN3 (Dark Future!) should.

Chase's shot, I also do a -10 on yellow and the nose looks better, and the ballast to the right of the engine looks better.

Hen, we have little tolerance here for your blame others crap, and your statement here about the screeners having no YN3 experience is silly to the point of being pathetic.

Chase, Hen is ridiculous but he did say to "back off the yellow" which is not horrible advice. It was his non-advice before that sentence that was, well, I like to see words used properly, so not horrible, misguided waay to weak, my earlier use of pathetic not spot on either, vapid? no, not that either, call it ridiculous and call it a night.

Boy, it's great to be police! Wouldn't this board be oh so much better if I was in charge? Right? Anyone? Anyone?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:47 PM   #11
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I, having no standing to arbitrate, nonetheless do so and declare both of you right and both of your wrong.
and later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Boy, it's great to be police! Wouldn't this board be oh so much better if I was in charge? Right? Anyone? Anyone?

- Chris
/Just kidding, J.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
JRMDC

Typo police smashes content police! Film at 11.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Heh.. This thread has gone from a guy simply asking advice, to a saturation argument, now to the various police forces that RP offers.

Chase
Old 10-16-2009, 11:35 PM   #14
khalucha

I guess when he searched the DB, he could not find any "clean" pictures.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:44 PM   #15
lineville

AntD. have you perhaps considered that a factor between one being a reject and the other being an acceptance isn't the color (which, as you point out is pretty much the same due to the low sun) but rather the uniqueness of the locomotive? You have an awesome, getting harder to find, SD40 type unit in your accepted photo. In the reject, you have a extremely common wide cab. Personally, I would have accepted them both, but if I had to pick only one, I would take the vintage power every time. By the way, Henfiet does know his stuff. His modesty prevents him from touting his accomplishments but he is an award winning, published photographer. Take his comments very seriously (just a suggestion on my part)
lineville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:53 PM   #16
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineville View Post
AntD. have you perhaps considered that a factor between one being a reject and the other being an acceptance isn't the color (which, as you point out is pretty much the same due to the low sun) but rather the uniqueness of the locomotive? You have an awesome, getting harder to find, SD40 type unit in your accepted photo. In the reject, you have a extremely common wide cab. Personally, I would have accepted them both, but if I had to pick only one, I would take the vintage power every time.
This may be true. This is one thing I did not consider. I personally find the composition with the vintage power to be a bit better than the composition with the CW40-8. Perhaps that played a factor as well?

Quote:
By the way, Henfiet does know his stuff. His modesty prevents him from touting his accomplishments but he is an award winning, published photographer. Take his comments very seriously (just a suggestion on my part)
This could be true, although it all depends on how he words things. As of right now, he doesn't appear to word things in a mature way. He doesn't use proper English and his attitude makes him rather annoying on this group.

If he is indeed an award winning photographer, you would think he would present himself in a mature and intelligent way.

Perhpas this is just me.
Chase
Old 10-17-2009, 12:02 AM   #17
cblaz

Quote:
If he is indeed an award winning photographer, you would think he would present himself in a mature and intelligent way.
Ha. You need to spend more time on ObsCar. That'll change your mind fast.

- Chris
Old 10-17-2009, 12:06 AM   #18
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
Ha. You need to spend more time on ObsCar. That'll change your mind fast.

- Chris
Oh yeah? That bad?

Chase
Old 10-17-2009, 12:49 AM   #19
JRMDC

Quote:
AntD. have you perhaps considered that a factor between one being a reject and the other being an acceptance isn't the color (which, as you point out is pretty much the same due to the low sun) but rather the uniqueness of the locomotive? You have an awesome, getting harder to find, SD40 type unit in your accepted photo. In the reject, you have a extremely common wide cab. Personally, I would have accepted them both, but if I had to pick only one, I would take the vintage power every time. By the way, Henfiet does know his stuff. His modesty prevents him from touting his accomplishments but he is an award winning, published photographer. Take his comments very seriously (just a suggestion on my part)
As info, in my experience RP doesn't care much about the common/vintage distinction and doesn't get excited about the SD40-2, which is still around in great numbers and still makes lots of fresh appearances on RP so hardly unique.

Apparently Hen's modesty does not constrain him from telling a friend (or himself?) about this tread and having that person create a new account just to log on and use his very first post to inform us about his background. It is more typical for someone to themselves show us their shots, but different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Happy to meet a fresh face with talent, cool! But no evidence yet that such has happened here.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-17-2009, 12:59 AM   #20
milwman
I shoot what I like

Quote:
Oh yeah? That bad?

Chase
Thats all they do is bicker to the point i gave up reading it.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:49 AM   #21
henfiet

Quote:
This could be true, although it all depends on how he words things. As of right now, he doesn't appear to word things in a mature way. He doesn't use proper English and his attitude makes him rather annoying on this group.

Perhpas this is just me.
Chase
And you continue to prove your own immaturity by bringing up this topic time and again by calling someone else immature. It seems that you tend to use this when you're out of all other options. And judging by your supposed age on the wonderful world of Myspace, I would venture to guess that I, and many others on here, were taking photographs when you were still in grade school. It really cracks me up that the ones who bring up maturity/immaturity are almost always the youngest ones in the bunch. As for proper use of English, "perhpas" you might want to use a spellcheck of some sort on your own post... There, I'm done stooping down to your own maturity level. It's time to bring it back up a notch.

To save myself from having to make a second post, I did indeed once have pictures on this website a long time ago. I, like so many other excellent photographers out there, got tired of the usual BS from the screeners, and had the photos promptly deleted from the database. I no longer want my name or my pictures associated with this site whatsoever! And yes, "Lineville" is a dear friend of mine who has been taking pictures of trains for much longer than I have. I was still in grade myself when he was shooting SCL and Southern stuff. (sorry buddy, I didn't mean to make you feel old with that comment! I'm not exactly a spring chicken myself anymore for that fact) It was because of photographers like him that I became seriously interested in this hobby. And I'm not going to parade myself around on here by saying that 100% of my own shots are excellent. They're not, and some of the ones I took from several years ago and have posted on the internet elsewhere really need to be taken down because they are......crap! In all honesty, I grabbed two this evening that were utterly pathetic! And those who know me well enough know that I am my own worst enemy when it comes to critiquing my own photos! Out of the 20,000+ digital pics I've taken in the last few years alone, I would personally say that 98% of them are junk. (some would disagree with that, but I am entitled to say that my own stuff is crap) If I offer any critiquing/help on someone else's shots, I'm speaking from experience. That person can take it or leave it. It's only my two cents gathered from what my eyes and brain have seen and interpreted over the years.
To briefly get this back on topic and off of the ranting... Ant, I look forward to seeing more of your shots on here and abroad. I've kept an eye on your pics from afar over the last couple of years, and am very impressed! Good luck, and keep up the good work!
And that's all I'm going to say on this post. If you wish to continue on with your own BS, feel free to do so. I'm quite sure I won't be wasting anymore of my time to read it.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:05 AM   #22
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
And you continue to prove your own immaturity by bringing up this topic time and again by calling someone else immature. It seems that you tend to use this when you're out of all other options. And judging by your supposed age on the wonderful world of Myspace, I would venture to guess that I, and many others on here, were taking photographs when you were still in grade school. It really cracks me up that the ones who bring up maturity/immaturity are almost always the youngest ones in the bunch. As for proper use of English, "perhpas" you might want to use a spellcheck of some sort on your own post... There, I'm done stooping down to your own maturity level. It's time to bring it back up a notch.
My immaturity? Heh... Not sure where you're getting that from. I think many members would agree that I don't act like an immature child on this list. There are many newbies that come on the forums requesting help that act very immature about their rejections.

As for my spelling error (just now noticed it), that was simple Typo unlike my next comment.. I remember earlier you referred to impolite as "unpolite" which to put if bluntly, is INCORRECT English. I know the difference and I'm just a child!

I would think that being young and knowing how to take semi-decent photographs would be a nice thing, although you're making it sound like it's horrible. Age is irrelevant in this hobby (correct me if I am wrong). I've got over 200 photos in the DB, I've been submitting since I was 13. I've rarely gotten extremely PO'ed as a result of a rejection. I generally handle rejections in a positive way. Most kids who come here get pissed very easily over rejections.

I personally think I've handled this topic with mature responses, correct English, and valid points. Something I don't think I can say the same about for you.

Finally, you said you were done with RP and no longer submit images and that you wish to no longer be associated with Railpictures, yet you continue to post on the forums. I think you could be considered a hypocrite in more ways than one, which I clearly describe in my above sentences.

Chase

Last edited by Chase55671; 10-17-2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 03:43 AM   #23
AntD.

Lightbulb

Well, who knew that my simple question on a bad color rejection would attract all this drama? Well I guess that just goes to show why I rarely post on this forum. But, to all who have had input thank you for your help...I tried to lower the yellow, but I don't know if this would do....which one of the two is better?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5909m.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	464.2 KB
ID:	4758   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5909n.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	591.8 KB
ID:	4759  
AntD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:53 AM   #24
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew

The second one..

Chase
Old 10-17-2009, 04:18 AM   #25
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milwman View Post
Thats all they do is bicker to the point i gave up reading it.
I spent a week on their list one night before giving up.

Tags
bad color evening