Old 07-11-2005, 04:29 AM   #1
Pat Lorenz

Question AMTK Boombox

I recently saw a couple of photos of some Amtrak operations that got me curious. There is two AMTK locomotives on these comuter trains, it appears that the train is in push-pull motion. The P42 that is on the other end of the train seems to be the power and the 'boombox' apperas to have been gutted (because there are no fans), so the crew is using it for cab controls. Am i right so far?

I also have no idea what the significance of the warehouse looking door is on the side, can somebody explain?

And finally, WHY? Why is AMTK using boomboxes for cab controls insted of a regular passenger car with the controls inside, is it because of the train wreck in california?

Image © Chuck Frey
PhotoID: 109214
Photograph © Chuck Frey

Image © Joe LeMay
PhotoID: 112127
Photograph © Joe LeMay

Image © Jeff Easton
PhotoID: 110683
Photograph © Jeff Easton
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:05 PM   #2
Joe

Send a message via AIM to Joe

Amtrak never had Cab Cars on any of their Amfleets, Horizons, or Viewliners (except in the northeast). They would have to turn the train (or locomotive) when regional trains arrived at their final terminal (unless they had a P42 at each end, which meant twice the locomotive to maintain).
Amtrak had all these F40s they weren't going to use for power after they received the P42s, so they took all their insides out and turned them in to cab/baggage cars. Hence the term "Cabbages." The big door on the side is to load and unload baggage.

The de-engined F40s started being used long before the Metrolink incident, but I believe they are now making sure that many short-distance trains (with 3-6 single-level cars) have a Cabbage on the rear(front).

You'll find them on the Illinios and Michigan corridors, the Chicago-Milwaukee Hiawatha service, and on Amtrak Cascades.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 05:29 PM   #3
Pat Lorenz

Thats very interesting, i was wondering where that term 'cabbages' came from, i always called them boomboxes, because there so boxy. Anyway, thanks for the info, it answers everything.
Pat Lorenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 06:13 PM   #4
CDTX_2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe
Amtrak never had Cab Cars on any of their Amfleets, Horizons, or Viewliners (except in the northeast).
Actually, some former Metroliner cab cars were used during the 1990s on the San Diegans.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:16 AM   #5
J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Lorenz
Thats very interesting, i was wondering where that term 'cabbages' came from, i always called them boomboxes, because there so boxy. Anyway, thanks for the info, it answers everything.
Cab / Baggage = Cabbage
J is offline   Reply With Quote