Old 01-20-2011, 05:08 PM   #1
DaveJ

Default Confused By Noise.

I've had this rejected for noise/grain,but I can't see it. 320 iso and almost a full crop from the original image,so what am I missing ? If anyone can help with advice I'd be most grateful. Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...key=1261308114

Also,I had this rejected for poor lighting. I've mentioned that the main light was supposed to be on the red warning sign,with the train much darker in the background,but it's still bad lighting. What do you think - worth pursuing or drop ?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=475235902

I'd be interested in peoples views,as I've always had good advice from the people on here.
Again,thanks in advance.
DaveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
coborn35

Why did you shoot ISO 320 in full sun?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
crazytiger

The noise is in the sky on the first one.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
DaveJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Why did you shoot ISO 320 in full sun?
I'd been taking a few shots further away and the whole area was in shadow.When I saw the train coming I raced to where the sun had come out - forgetting to change the iso in the chaos. Got the shot but it wasn't quite how I'd planned it !!
Old 01-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #5
coborn35

Ahh I see. Have you tried a noise remover?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 07:26 PM   #6
DaveJ

Actually,looking at the exif data,it appears that I did alter the iso down to 200. Don't actually remember doing that !! Makes the noise situation even weirder. Haven't tried any noise remover yet,just might give it a try when I have time. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 PM   #7
Wizzo

Nice shot Dave - boy that red is bright !

I can't see the noise in the sky, but that might be my laptop screen. I can, however, see that the cutting side above the loco and train is a bit 'mushy' - that might be the diffusing effect of the exhaust though as the tanks are nice and sharp.

Press here to see my pics on railpictures.net

More pics here D1059 on Flickr
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #8
jnohallman

After scanning the photo for a while, I'm wondering if the "noise" the screener saw (which is definitely in the sky) is in fact a combination of the distortion effect from the engine's exhaust and some halo-ing from applying a bit too much sharpening. There are a few other places in the photo, like on the bumpers, where it seems a bit over-sharpened as well. Perhaps if you dial back the sharpness just a smidge?

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:07 PM   #9
JezG

Judging from some of the recent shots accepted from the UK it appears that grain is almost a pre-requisite. You do need to have a steam locomotive in the shot though!
JezG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 01:11 PM   #10
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

More likely you got it from pumping up the color, Over working a shot will do that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote