Old 01-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
Daniel SIMON

Default Please help me to understand why ....

Could the team please help me to understand why the Screener has pushed the OK button for this particular picture.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...52358&nseq=327

The photo most certainly has a high historical interest, but to my honnest opinion, it should not have been accepted to the database for various and obvious reasons:

- Noise / grain
- Dust spots from scanning
- Unlevel
- Bad colors
- Soft

I personally had several rejects in the past for much less than that. This is not a criticism against the photografer, but I would like to understnad why the RP.net acceptance / rejection criteria can sometimes be so different from one day to another.
Daniel SIMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:12 AM   #2
DAKIBSRR

Send a message via AIM to DAKIBSRR

Just my personal opinion, the screener might know this person or this person has posted numerous pictures in the past. It seems very hard to get your first couple of pictures approved if you have never been approved. Just my 1/2 cent.

David Kibitlewski

Round Lake Beach, Illinois
DAKIBSRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:25 AM   #3
Mgoldman

Inconsistency. : )

I wanted to play Devil's advocate and state that the image is a catch for RP in that there were only 3 other images like it in the database and none from GA, and maybe more to the issue - we have 4 (or perhaps 5) screeners all with different tolerances and adherence to the play book - however, some of the issues you bring up are in fact easily fixable - specifically the unlevel and the dust spots.

You can assume with 4 (5?) unique screeners screening up to 150 or so photos at a sitting, a few are going to slip through that should've been rejected. However - it does not bode well for patrons of the site to see such easily correctable faults slide in while they may have had one of their own rejected.

Now - if I were admin, I wouldn't want to risk upsetting a patron with such a desirable image. I think the best way to do that however would be to reject for at least the easily correctable flaws and (in lieu of creating easier to digest rejections) use the screener comment field to state "With the issues identified corrected, we would love to have this in our database, thank you!".

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #4
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

May have gotten in on appeal, May have went like this. I don't know photoshop and can't do that, take or leave it? I for one would of fixed it for him or others would of if ask.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
Could the team please help me to understand why the Screener has pushed the OK button for this particular picture.
Pretty simple reason:

Quote:
April 21, 1979
There is a ton of vintage railroad shots that are unlevel, grainy, poorly lit, etc. on RP. The screeners have always been much more lenient when those shots are submitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKIBSRR View Post
Just my personal opinion, the screener might know this person or this person has posted numerous pictures in the past. It seems very hard to get your first couple of pictures approved if you have never been approved. Just my 1/2 cent.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 01-25-2011 at 12:42 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM   #6
Daniel SIMON

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Pretty simple reason:

There is a ton of vintage railroad shots that are unlevel, grainy, poorly lit, etc. on RP. The screeners have always been much more lenient when those shots are submitted.

Funny, I never noticed that when they are screening my scanned "oldies"
Old 01-25-2011, 01:02 PM   #7
JezG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel SIMON View Post
Funny, I never noticed that when they are screening my scanned "oldies"
Likewise (although most of my shots are 10 years younger than the one in question and from the UK which probably puts me at a further disadvantage!).

However, I'm sorry to say it's blatant inconsistency such as this that makes me less and less inclined to upload.
JezG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #8
Daniel SIMON

[quote=JezG;129839]Likewise (although most of my shots are 10 years younger than the one in question and from the UK which probably puts me at a further disadvantage!).

A further disavantage because you are from the UK ??? Come on, dont complain I am FRENCH
Old 01-25-2011, 01:23 PM   #9
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezG View Post

However, I'm sorry to say it's blatant inconsistency such as this that makes me less and less inclined to upload.
I don't see that as a problem for me or you, The goal is to upload your best, That just makes the others look better!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #10
JezG

[quote=Daniel SIMON;129840]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JezG View Post
Likewise (although most of my shots are 10 years younger than the one in question and from the UK which probably puts me at a further disadvantage!).

A further disavantage because you are from the UK ??? Come on, dont complain I am FRENCH
Ha! You probably know exactly what I'm getting at then!
JezG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #11
crazytiger

Jim, is right. Shots older than about 1990 get a lot more leniency.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:04 PM   #12
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb I like these old pictures.

The shot has historical value and since it is scanned off a print (that is what it looks like) there are going to be some scratches, spots etc.

I do think most of those spots are ciders from the boiler stack rather than dust spots.

The engine appears to be a coal burner and those suckers leave cinders in the air.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
The shot has historical value and since it is scanned off a print (that is what it looks like) there are going to be some scratches, spots etc.
A photographer should still exhibit some pride in sharing his work. It doesn't take much time to level an image and clone out dust spots/scratches.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Lack of skill.

Quote:
A photographer should still exhibit some pride in sharing his work. It doesn't take much time to level an image and clone out dust spots/scratches.
Assuming said person has the basic skill level to do such manipulations in photo shop elements or something more advanced.

I think it is quite reasonable to assume that some simply do not possess even the basic skills required for such feats.

Ergo, not every one is skilled enough to put little red eyes on their puppy photos.

Name:  Dog Small BB.JPG
Views: 274
Size:  312.3 KB

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 01-25-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:16 AM   #15
Mgoldman

Now we're talking!!!

/Mitch
Old 01-26-2011, 12:58 AM   #16
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
I do think most of those spots are ciders from the boiler stack rather than dust spots.

The engine appears to be a coal burner and those suckers leave cinders in the air.
That certainly occurred to me the first time I looked at it, although if the draft were strong and the train were moving at any speed, most of that stuff would not be coming down in the vicinity of the nose of the train. Locomotives with mechanical stokers (and this one probably has one) do generate a lot bigger "cinder-storm" than hand-bombers because the stoker pulverizes the coal. Some of the stuff never even hits the grates before it gets sucked up in the draft. I have a going-away photo of Nickel Plate 765 and the clean-up effort required to get it on RP was pretty substantial. There were little specks all over the place.

Daniel, the frustration you are feeling is inevitable when you are trying to post photos on someone else's site and they want to control the content. Consistency and subjectivity are very difficult for any single individual to achieve, much less a group of 4 or 5 people. All of us would probably be well-advised to also have our own websites where we control the content. There, we can post multiple frames from one back-lit or cloudy run-by if the spirit so moves us. In fact, I enjoy looking at the personal sites of several photographer friends of mine, because I know I'll see all kinds of stuff there that won't ever appear here. We can still post our "gems" here and take advantage of the large audience, but for any content RP doesn't want, we would still have an outlet that features quality control....our own. For $50 a year, you can have a nice site. For twice that, you can have a site that will also sell copies of your pictures.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:46 AM   #17
Freericks
Met Fan

It is surprising... I hate to say... As to the age, yes, that's probably why it got in, but age is not a guarantee... here are some that I have posted (or posted for a friend) that were rejected...

http://knox.rrpicturearchives.net/sh...spx?id=1008307

http://knox.rrpicturearchives.net/sh...spx?id=2205363

http://knox.rrpicturearchives.net/sh...spx?id=2292792

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.n...aspx?id=832926

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.n...spx?id=2283826

Now... after seeing the rejection reason on every one of these, I actually, sometimes later than sooner, did eventually agree with the reason that they were rejected...

But from a historic standpoint, I think that these are all images that have the needed cachet.

I also am confused by the lack of consistency.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:00 AM   #18
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
That certainly occurred to me the first time I looked at it, although if the draft were strong and the train were moving at any speed, most of that stuff would not be coming down in the vicinity of the nose of the train. Locomotives with mechanical stokers (and this one probably has one) do generate a lot bigger "cinder-storm" than hand-bombers because the stoker pulverizes the coal.
Well the other reason I suspect they are cinders is because according to the caption this was an event, rather than an everyday movement.

By using the term "run-by" it is quite probable that the engine has already run past once and is now headed back a second time.

Also there could be another engine out of frame making cinders.

If the spots really are cinders, then removing them would not be correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
All of us would probably be well-advised to also have our own websites where we control the content. There, we can post multiple frames from one back-lit or cloudy run-by if the spirit so moves us. In fact, I enjoy looking at the personal sites of several photographer friends of mine, because I know I'll see all kinds of stuff there that won't ever appear here. We can still post our "gems" here and take advantage of the large audience, but for any content RP doesn't want, we would still have an outlet that features quality control....our own. For $50 a year, you can have a nice site. For twice that, you can have a site that will also sell copies of your pictures.
"Flickr"

Most of the people here also have Flickr or Rail Pictures Archive accounts for the "other" photos.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 AM   #19
crazytiger

Charles, I think you might want to consider re-submitting all of those except the first one. And you might want to fix some highlight issues on the second, I think.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:22 AM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
http://knox.rrpicturearchives.net/sh...spx?id=2205363

Now... after seeing the rejection reason on every one of these, I actually, sometimes later than sooner, did eventually agree with the reason that they were rejected...
Why was that one rejected??

Old 01-26-2011, 03:30 AM   #21
Freericks
Met Fan

Blurry first time, then cropping on two more tries.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:48 AM   #22
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
Blurry first time, then cropping on two more tries.
Cropping would be an easy fix, and I really don't see blurry as a problem, considering this image is just as sharp or sharper than 90% of the photos from this era that are accepted.

Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #23
Freericks
Met Fan

I have generally been making three tries on pics that I believe in and then giving up. That's what happened here. As I type this, I think I also got a PIQ on the last try (which was cropped with the train more to the right of the image.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 AM   #24
Mgoldman

Quote:
Why was that one rejected??

Either that, or maybe they were up to the "C's"?

/Mitch
Old 01-26-2011, 04:57 AM   #25
Amtrakdavis22

Quote:
Pretty simple reason:

100% agree with Jim here. Older photos, especially displaying steam or vintage trains, have always gotten the upper hand. I think its right considering most of us don't have pictures from the 70s laying around.

Flickr

RailPictures.Net
RailVideos.Net

Youtube Videos
Amtrakdavis22.com

"Love the sound of that shutter!" -Peter Lik
Amtrakdavis22 is offline   Reply With Quote