Old 03-11-2012, 09:46 AM   #1
Drewster

Default Best photos on the net?

Seems like maybe the best well lit wedge photos on the net? It seems to me lately looking through the database great photography is hard to find. If it's not a well lit wedge photo it's hard to find something thats inspiring or has that WOW factor anymore. It also seems that the screeners are getting more strict on what are "good" photos are. Great photos of any type aren't deamed the "best" photos because they are in the sunlight under a blue sky, but are by color, scenery or just something that catches your attention. So there are some clouds, big deal, that shouldn't make a photo a bad photo. I've seen photos rejected on this forum that were amazingly composed but rejected because it was on a cloudy day, I mean REALLY? Come on! But yet a photo of a derailed car or engine can be under a cloudy day, poorly lit, horribly exposed, can make on the database. I've also seen many GREAT photo rejected from this site that have made it on calendars and magazines and many members I know have just stopped uploading photos in general because if it's not a daylight wedge photo, it won't make it, so they just stop trying. It may seem I am bashing the site, I'm not. I just want to see a better variety of photos and maybe losen up on being so strict and let in some REAL photography

Last edited by Drewster; 03-11-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
Chris Kilroy
Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris Kilroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewster View Post
Seems like maybe the best well lit wedge photos on the net? It seems to me lately looking through the database great photography is hard to find. If it's not a well lit wedge photo it's hard to find something thats inspiring or has that WOW factor anymore.
Indeed.

Image © Drew Mitchem
PhotoID: 391348
Photograph © Drew Mitchem

Image © Darren Megowan
PhotoID: 391421
Photograph © Darren Megowan

Image © Nick DAmato (Diamond D)
PhotoID: 391406
Photograph © Nick DAmato (Diamond D)

Image © Eric Williams
PhotoID: 391245
Photograph © Eric Williams

Image © Appalachian Railfan
PhotoID: 391366
Photograph © Appalachian Railfan

Image © Reed Skyllingstad
PhotoID: 391649
Photograph © Reed Skyllingstad

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 391384
Photograph © Kevin Madore

Image © Extra 127 South
PhotoID: 391567
Photograph © Extra 127 South

Image © Drew Mitchem
PhotoID: 391257

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 391313

Image © Drew Mitchem
PhotoID: 391345

Image © Chris Kilroy
PhotoID: 391580
Photograph © Chris Kilroy

Image © Zach Pumphery
PhotoID: 391230
Photograph © Zach Pumphery

Image © Nick DAmato (Diamond D)
PhotoID: 391322
Photograph © Nick DAmato (Diamond D)

Image © Extra 127 South
PhotoID: 391278
Photograph © Extra 127 South

Image © David Carballido-Jeans
PhotoID: 391229
Photograph © David Carballido-Jeans

Image © Kevin Madore
PhotoID: 391586

Image © Aaron Keller
PhotoID: 391703
Photograph © Aaron Keller

Image © Kevin Burkholder
PhotoID: 391541
Photograph © Kevin Burkholder

Image © Matthew Wilson
PhotoID: 391539
Photograph © Matthew Wilson

That's out of the first 4 pages (out of 39) worth of results for the past week.

I assume the reason for your post was this shot rejected earlier today: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...39&key=5003447

There's not much I can say about that, except that you have a very nice portfolio on the site already, and I wouldn't rank this up there with your best (or even your average). You got screwed on the light.. it's out on the buildings behind the scene, and even on the further part of the train, but not on the engines at all. It happens to all of us.
- View My Photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Last edited by Chris Kilroy; 03-11-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Chris Kilroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
Drewster

You have to admit though when you do look through the database, it's sun wedge after sun wedge photo. Some more different angle photos would be nice even if it is not a sunny photo. This isn't about rejection, it's about a lot of rejections from here, and from people I know that have uploaded some great photos and have been rejected. It's just irritating when all I see is sun wedge after sun wedge when I see a lot of photos with potential on this forum or from people I know. Regardless I believe photos shouldn't have to have perfect sunlight to make it. Blue skies and sun aren't always the formula for a good photo.
Drewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #4
crazytiger

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."

Last edited by crazytiger; 03-11-2012 at 03:19 PM.
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
You have to admit though when you do look through the database, it's sun wedge after sun wedge photo. Some more different angle photos would be nice even if it is not a sunny photo. This isn't about rejection, it's about a lot of rejections from here, and from people I know that have uploaded some great photos and have been rejected. It's just irritating when all I see is sun wedge after sun wedge when I see a lot of photos with potential on this forum or from people I know. Regardless I believe photos shouldn't have to have perfect sunlight to make it. Blue skies and sun aren't always the formula for a good photo.
a) there are various ways to measure "best', and one can even measure "best" in multiple ways at the same time. And RP does. RP is a blend of "best" wedgies (they need sun, because otherwise they are just boring) and "best" pretty scenics, and a few other things. The main thing that is missing is less-representational-but-artsy. But I suspect you are not talking about those.

b) it is also a case of supply and demand. You see a lot of boring wedgies on RP because, for most people, that is all they shoot, and for lots of others, including me, and I suspect you also, that is what they shoot all too often. That isn't RP's fault. The enemy is us.

c) I get non-perfect light shots on all the time, so do others. The image has to be interesting in some other dimension, however. But seriously, you just aren't looking hard enough. And it isn't RP's fault that so many people submit basic wedgies. RP certainly takes a lot more than that, as Chris demonstrated.

d) why should the standard for "good" be determined by one site? RP rejects, some other forum/outlet accepts, sounds like a good thing to me, not a bad one.

Here are some non-perfect light shots, three of my most recent five. Not "winners" or "great", not nearly the quality of Chris' set above, but they were deemed RP acceptable. I show them as indicators that non-great shots in weak light do in fact get accepted, if there is something worthy about them. The standard isn't low, but it isn't that high either. One has to find something of interest, whether light or something else. That is the key. And, frankly, that is the key for any venue, it is just that different venues are run by different people with differing views. Which, again, is a good thing, and RP is not bad for failing to match up with some other venue.

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 390244
Photograph © Janusz Mrozek

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 387848

Image © Janusz Mrozek
PhotoID: 387738

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:09 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Seems like maybe the best well lit wedge photos on the net? It seems to me lately looking through the database great photography is hard to find. If it's not a well lit wedge photo it's hard to find something thats inspiring or has that WOW factor anymore. It also seems that the screeners are getting more strict on what are "good" photos are. Great photos of any type aren't deamed the "best" photos because they are in the sunlight under a blue sky, but are by color, scenery or just something that catches your attention. So there are some clouds, big deal, that shouldn't make a photo a bad photo. I've seen photos rejected on this forum that were amazingly composed but rejected because it was on a cloudy day, I mean REALLY? Come on! But yet a photo of a derailed car or engine can be under a cloudy day, poorly lit, horribly exposed, can make on the database. I've also seen many GREAT photo rejected from this site that have made it on calendars and magazines and many members I know have just stopped uploading photos in general because if it's not a daylight wedge photo, it won't make it, so they just stop trying. It may seem I am bashing the site, I'm not. I just want to see a better variety of photos and maybe losen up on being so strict and let in some REAL photography
Welcome back to RailPictures Danny boy...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
nikos1

So what makes your cloudy wedgie more interesting than sunny wedgies?

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Seems like maybe the best well lit wedge photos on the net? It seems to me lately looking through the database great photography is hard to find. If it's not a well lit wedge photo it's hard to find something thats inspiring or has that WOW factor anymore. It also seems that the screeners are getting more strict on what are "good" photos are.
Lord knows I'm as hard on the RP guys as anyone when it comes to broadening their horizons on the acceptance of expressive, evocative and unique images. But--I'll have to agree with Chris Kilroy, there's been a good sampling of such photography of late on the site.

You're bummed out with too many well-lit wedges? Well--of course, dude! Consider that 90 percent or more of the uploaded images meet that description. What does an RP screener do--reject a well-lit wedge just because he thinks it's boring? RP's stated standards merely reflect a base level of photographic adequacy. If shots meet, or exceed those standards--they're accepted, even if they're well-lit, "been there, done that" sunny day wedgies.

If you're tired of looking at mundane wedgies, I suggest you don't click on those images. But--don't express your wrath on RP, because they can only judge the contestants in the beauty pageant who show up. If the really pretty ones stay at home, don't be upset if the winner of the show doesn't meet your standards (sorry, I don't mean to offer such a sexist analogy, but it's all I can come up with on short notice... ).

And--if you want to cut down on the percentage of sunny wedge shots vs. the really inspired images on RP--get out there and shoot something that will turn the railroad photography hobby on its head. RP is no better, or no worse, than all of us who submit images.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
BUFFIE

Default My penny's worth

I think it is the variety that does indeed bring folks to the site.

Many of the shots are wedgies but that's OK with me because 20 years from now when those units are gone from service, all shots of that type will be appriciated. (OK except for the GP38-2's which will live on forever)

And every other day there seems to be a real standout photo for me - not because it looks 'pretty' or its deemed 'professional', (and it may break a posting guidline or two) but I just find them cool.

Image © Drew Mitchem
PhotoID: 391793

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 391719
Photograph © John Crisanti

Image © Matthew Harrell
PhotoID: 391732
Photograph © Matthew Harrell

I have had my share of rejects and may stick those in my 'do over' folder. I rather like the challenge of going back to that spot months later and finally getting the pic I orignally wanted in optimal conditions.

The creativity that I see in these more composed shots drives me to broaden the horizons. Probably still wont result in a one-in-a-thousand-photo of mine making a screeners choice......................yet.
BUFFIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:41 PM   #10
coborn35

I enjoy sunny wedgies of nice power.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:24 PM   #11
Coloradorailfan

Send a message via AIM to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Yahoo to Coloradorailfan Send a message via Skype™ to Coloradorailfan

I have to admit, it does get kinda old with sunny wedgie shots, but I do like'em from time to time, especially in great sun light as well. But I have seen great shots on here from a select few that does give this site its variety. I feel that this site is divided into two categories: railfans that love to just take pictures of trains and the ones that go one step beyond that with their photography skills and apply it to trains. I've also had my share of rejects, especially with the dreaded PEQ But hey, it shows I'm getting creative and thinking of different things instead of sticking with something the same all the time Here are some of the few that I find great.

Image © Stephen Schmidt
PhotoID: 391749
Photograph © Stephen Schmidt

Image © Eric Williams
PhotoID: 389306
Photograph © Eric Williams

Image © Patrick Phelan
PhotoID: 382065
Photograph © Patrick Phelan

Image © Mauro C.
PhotoID: 390236
Photograph © Mauro C.

My RailPictures Photos

My Flickr

"The camera doesn't make the photographer, it's the person behind the viewfinder."

- John Crisanti

Last edited by Coloradorailfan; 03-11-2012 at 07:52 PM.
Coloradorailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
ARandall70

Send a message via Yahoo to ARandall70

Let me start off by saying I don't take many pictures and have not had any shots accepted by RP, but I enjoy looking at the work here.

My thoughts when I hear people bashing RP, or questioning why there are so many wedgies on RP, or whatever, is this; When RP says, "the best pictures on the 'net" it doesn't mean that every picture on RP is better than the best somewhere else, it means that the top tier photography published by many of its contributors is better than anywhere else, and really it is. That doesn't mean that there won't be some questionable shots, or that there wont be some debate over why a given shot is rejected/accepted. Those wedgies are usually simple, solid shots, but they aren't really what makes RP "the best," they just add to the database, and are good for reference purposes. One day those simple wedgies of CSX, NS and BNSF will be historical shots, much like the shots of the Seaboard, the Southern, Santa Fe, and others that we look back on today, even if they aren't always the best examples of photography.

I also believe if someone goes out for a day of railfanning, has a good time, alone or with friends, sees some good action, comes home, and considers the whole day a failure because none of their shots were accepted to RP, they may not be in the hobby for the right reasons, but each to his own.
And if getting shots accepted is the only reason someone enjoys railfanning, then they are setting themselves up for disappointment.
ARandall70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #13
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Na, I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Welcome back to RailPictures Danny boy...
Voldemort is not patient enough to troll through a 145 posts and then throw it down in a respectable way such as this.

Further, if it were Voldemort, the images would have been of poorly lit and center framed NS units, rather than UP ones.

I doubt that Voldemort has ever laid eyes on a actual UP train, let alone photographed it.

Fear not Troy, as in the movies and the books, Voldemort will return eventually.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 01:40 AM   #14
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

Looking at some of the top pictures of the week, I see A LOT more "artsy" shots than usual. Hope the trend continues!
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:08 AM   #15
Diamond D

OK, this is pretty dang funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Diamond D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 04:15 AM   #16
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARandall70 View Post
Let me start off by saying I don't take many pictures and have not had any shots accepted by RP, but I enjoy looking at the work here.

My thoughts when I hear people bashing RP, or questioning why there are so many wedgies on RP, or whatever, is this; When RP says, "the best pictures on the 'net" it doesn't mean that every picture on RP is better than the best somewhere else, it means that the top tier photography published by many of its contributors is better than anywhere else, and really it is. That doesn't mean that there won't be some questionable shots, or that there wont be some debate over why a given shot is rejected/accepted. Those wedgies are usually simple, solid shots, but they aren't really what makes RP "the best," they just add to the database, and are good for reference purposes. One day those simple wedgies of CSX, NS and BNSF will be historical shots, much like the shots of the Seaboard, the Southern, Santa Fe, and others that we look back on today, even if they aren't always the best examples of photography.

I also believe if someone goes out for a day of railfanning, has a good time, alone or with friends, sees some good action, comes home, and considers the whole day a failure because none of their shots were accepted to RP, they may not be in the hobby for the right reasons, but each to his own.
And if getting shots accepted is the only reason someone enjoys railfanning, then they are setting themselves up for disappointment.
Anthony: You are indeed a wise man. Well stated! It's only a hobby...and we're all supposed to do this for fun and relaxation.

Also--I certainly enjoy well done sunny day wedge shots. Heaven knows I've done more than my share (and posted many of 'em here....and will probably do some more before either the batteries in my Nikon, or I--which ever is first--die).

Last edited by Ron Flanary; 03-12-2012 at 06:30 PM.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:45 PM   #17
sd9

Quote:
But yet a photo of a derailed car or engine can be under a cloudy day, poorly lit, horribly exposed, can make on the database.
You forgot cloudy demolition shots
Image © Bill Grenchik
PhotoID: 389011
Photograph © Bill Grenchik
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #18
crazytiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond D View Post
OK, this is pretty dang funny!!
Haha, thanks. There's a meme for most every situation. This was the applicable one today.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:26 PM   #19
JimThias

Quote:
But yet a photo of a derailed car or engine can be under a cloudy day, poorly lit, horribly exposed, can make on the database.
Can you provide an example or two of a "horribly exposed" image in RP?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Image © Bill Grenchik
UNLEVEL!

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:35 PM   #21
sd9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd9 View Post
Image © Bill Grenchik
Correction, You forgot cloudy UNLEVEL demolition shots
sd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:59 PM   #22
Mgoldman

Chris - great to see your input again in the Forums! And nicely worded as well.

Drewster - why do you go by Drewster?? I thought you were Drew Mitchem and were about to take another break from uploading!

Chris - add one more update request for the site - it would be nice to have a link to the thread poster's pics on RP in addition to "More Posts by" and "Public Profile". Since few sign off on their threads, it would be nice to know who it's coming from -even if it's a made up name, at least we may "know" better who's posting.

Drewster - Despite RP advertising itself as "best railroad photos on the 'net, they pretty much must accept all properly lit, well composed railroad related pics. "Boring" would be a rejection that might cause a lot of aggravation otherwise! If you don't like all the wedges, start posting more anti-wedges and start browsing POTW, PC's and "most favorited" and "most comments".

Chris - I don't advocate favoritism, but there must be some way to keep some of the best posters on the 'net (RP) from jumping ship. Granted, some of us get girlfriends, lol, and others wives and newborns, (Any of you RP gals can read that as boyfriends and husbands) but still a few have left in anger whom are sorely missed. I'd suggest one thought (of many possible) and that could be to allow a system of "earning" an override. Say, one for every PC, TolW or POTW? Honestly, just how many free passes would we be talking about in the scheme of things - relative to the number of images accepted yearly? I might even suggest one for every year with RP which would be a very trivial number relative to the number of images accepted daily (and overall). That however is more of an honor system - hopefully, an active year on RP would establish somewhat firm guidelines for submission.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 03-12-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:59 PM   #23
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
Chris - I don't advocate favoritism, but there must be some way to keep some of the best posters on the 'net (RP) from jumping ship. Granted, some of us get girlfriends, lol, and others wives and newborns, (Any of you RP gals can read that as boyfriends and husbands) but still a few have left in anger whom are sorely missed. I'd suggest one thought (of many possible) and that could be to allow a system of "earning" an override. Say, one for every PC, TolW or POTW? Honestly, just how many free passes would we be talking about in the scheme of things - relative to the number of images accepted yearly? I might even suggest one for every year with RP which would be a very trivial number relative to the number of images accepted daily (and overall). That however is more of an honor system - hopefully, an active year on RP would establish somewhat firm guidelines for submission.
As long as there is a no-dogs clause ... narrowly targeted, not all dog shots are inherently bad ...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:09 AM   #24
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
As long as there is a no-dogs clause ... narrowly targeted, not all dog shots are inherently bad ...
You're right, not all dog shots are inherently bad.
Every dog has his day, though.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:51 AM   #25
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking I like that idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I'd suggest one thought (of many possible) and that could be to allow a system of "earning" an override.

So how many does one get for poking Voldemort on a daily basis until his FB group gets shit caned in a big way?

I think that person (me) should get at least one, and really more like five unusual submissions accepted.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 03-13-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote