Old 02-20-2008, 03:51 AM   #1
Wonka001

Default what do you think?

it was rejected for high sun. I almost disagree, if I were to wait for the sun to get any lower, it would be behind the mountains in this area.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=485445&key=0

Is it worth appealing?
would they reject it for something else as is their favorite thing to do?

Here is a show of my work here on RPN

Another place to look at pictures if there is more to photography than railroading http://www.picpublisher.com/referral/William_Grow
Wonka001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:00 AM   #2
bigbassloyd

Technically, the reject is decently correct. Look at the shadow on the lead unit's plow. The biggest issue regarding the light is the placement of the sun. it's almost side on lighting. Look at the shadow of the train, the poles, the truck, etc. if the sun was more behind you, the lighting would be better.

Brutal honesty though, In addition to suffering from poor lighting, it apperars to me to be over saturated, out of focus, and over exposed.

Their favorite thing to do, is screen well composed and technically correct photos, and they aren't out to reject the world...

I wouldn't appeal it... sorry

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 AM   #3
captadam

Well, I'd say that, like just about all of my photos that have been rejected (all but two this newbie has submitted ), the light just isn't quite right. Quite a few times, I've thought, "but, the train wasn't in the right place to catch the light; what was I supposed to do??" But if a photo is just not meant to be, well, then ...
captadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:23 AM   #4
Wonka001

I suppose I'll let it slide, It's been a while since I've posted here, and my first shot submitted was accepted.
I also need to get out, as I'm getting bored with my archives.

Thanks for the thought.

Here is one that I'm fond of,
Image © WGrow
PhotoID: 221311
Photograph © WGrow

quite frankly I'm quite surprised it got over 1000 hits in less than a week of being posted.. took my next most popular shot almost a year to gain that much popularity.

This site is still fun.

Another place to look at pictures if there is more to photography than railroading http://www.picpublisher.com/referral/William_Grow
Old 02-20-2008, 05:01 AM   #5
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by captadam
Quite a few times, I've thought, "but, the train wasn't in the right place to catch the light; what was I supposed to do??"
I think the essence of the complaints of many about RP (not you, I mean the whiners that rip on RP in various forums) is that they think this, and then go on to conclude that RP was wrong to reject their shot, just because at the time they were trackside no better shot was possible. When, of course, RP implicitly presumes that someone else can go there another day and get a better lit shot, so RP rejects.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonka001
it was rejected for high sun. I almost disagree, if I were to wait for the sun to get any lower, it would be behind the mountains in this area.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=485445&key=0

Is it worth appealing?
would they reject it for something else as is their favorite thing to do?
Loyd already pointed out the other issues with the photo, so I won't bother with that. But I AM curious as to why you didn't take advantage of the curve in the foreground. Had you let the train get into the curve, the nose of the locomotive would have been lit, and probably sufficient enough for them to accept it. Did you keep shooting as the train approached, or is that it?
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
Wonka001

I did keep shooting, but as the train rounded the corner, it put me on the dark side of the engine.

That's why I chose one from further back as it would put more of the lighted side of the train on my side, where at and after the curve, I'm on the darkside.

Unless you find it worth trying to submit, let me know what you think. thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BNSF4081600800.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	2513  

Old 02-21-2008, 04:03 AM   #8
RicHamilton

Quote:
I did keep shooting, but as the train rounded the corner, it put me on the dark side of the engine.

That's why I chose one from further back as it would put more of the lighted side of the train on my side, where at and after the curve, I'm on the darkside.

Unless you find it worth trying to submit, let me know what you think. thanks in advance.
With only one photo ever accepted her, take what I am about to say with a grain of salt. Maybe a bit further back just as the nose was lit which I think would place it just entering the curve...but I love that rock formation and the picture quality seems better eventhough it does still appear overexposed.
RicHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 01:26 PM   #9
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicHamilton
With only one photo ever accepted her, take what I am about to say with a grain of salt. Maybe a bit further back just as the nose was lit which I think would place it just entering the curve..
I was just going to say that. WGrow, did you get one just as it was entering the curve, giving you nearly full light on the nose but NOT showing the dark side of the train?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

[quote=Wonka001]it was rejected for high sun. I almost disagree,

Is it worth appealing?

Yes it is, But i don't care for the junk on the left side at all. so rework it before you try ,so you don't waste there time.
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #11
Wonka001

As it enters the curve, the nose is not lit, as it leaves the curve it's nose is lit, however I'm on the darkside of the train.
I think at this point the only fix is to go back there in the mid summer, in the later afternoon hours and try it again, might not be the same train, but it will be one nonetheless, I'm going to let this series go for now.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM   #12
RicHamilton

Wonka, are you on an overpass or a hill? If an overpass get over to the other side. If a hill, I'm thinking a ground level shot wouldn't be the best as the antenna array would be in the shot 'growing' out of the locos. What is it like to your right? Any way to get a head on shot as the nose gets lit?
Old 02-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #13
Wonka001

Let me remember here, I was on a hill, to my right was the road, behind me was more hill, and a mountain of sorts. After reviewing the whole series, I see that maybe I should have planted myself further back Attached is google earth map of where I was, and I marked where I was sitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	highway6 copy.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	2520  

Old 02-21-2008, 03:02 PM   #14
RicHamilton

Yeah I think further to the left and maybe even on the other side of the tracks might be a good shot
Old 02-21-2008, 11:49 PM   #15
JimThias

Quote:
As it enters the curve, the nose is not lit, as it leaves the curve it's nose is lit, however I'm on the darkside of the train.
Well that's a head-scratcher. Judging from the pic before the curve, and the pic where the train is well into the curve, there should be light on the nose just as it goes INTO the curve and it's facing you, like this:

And farther into the curve like yours with the dark side:

If you can't get sun on the nose as it's going into the curve, then it was most likely high sun. According to the EXIF data, you took the shot at 3:06 pm. on April 7. Are you SURE it was already low enough to drop below the mountain line?

Anyway, I think it's a great location. You should definitely go back and try it again from a slightly different angle.

Last edited by JimThias; 02-21-2008 at 11:51 PM.