Old 06-03-2008, 02:38 AM   #26
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Jors
Ween that is a tough to call the light is certainly not soft but you did a good job handling the light and exposing the photo correctly. I think its a good shot.

I think it also helps that the subject is front lit and you don't have any of the sharp angles to get hotspots and blown out areas.
Thanks. That was ~3.5 hrs from sunset; definitely not harsh/high sun. The sun was virtually straight down the tracks. I would love to have light like this every time I'm out...
Old 06-03-2008, 02:39 AM   #27
Aaron Jors

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
Ok, perhaps it's less than 2 hours from sunset. One photo is early Feb, the other is late November. Depending on the time of sunset in this location at these times of the year, it could very well be 2 hours or less from sunset. That being said, that little time before sunset at these times of the years means a LOW lighting angle.

Aaron, stop for a second and listen to what I'm saying about this:

The grab bars. Look at them. Look at their shadows. They are VERY short. That is THE one tell-tale sign of the sun angle and how high it is in the sky. Nothing else in the photo is as telling of the sun angle than the grab bar shadows.

The sun is in back of the photographer, low in the sky and almost directly head on with the train.

Head on, high sun = long shadows
Head on, low sun = short shadows

It doesn't get any more obvious than that.

Aaron, you are completely dismissing the angle of the train to the sun. I already stated that it's obvious the train is closer to a head on lighting angle. Thus, there will be less light on the side of the train.
Jim I still disagree I think the sun is at the back of the photographer but also off to the left. I will agree that sun is probably not as high as I originally thought but I don't think its as low as you do.
Aaron Jors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:40 AM   #28
JimThias

Quote:
Jim I still disagree I think the sun is at the back of the photographer but also off to the left. I will agree that sun is probably not as high as I originally thought but I don't think its as low as you do.
I swear you still haven't looked at the grab bar shadows yet.

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 AM   #29
Railfan Ohio

First off, NEVER compare rejected shots to accepted shots unless they are very similar to one of your own, in which case you probably shouldn't upload it.

Second, the lighting in your shot is bad. There is barely any shadow in the shot meaning the sun was behind clouds. Railpix doesn't accept cloudy shots of common power at common angles, end of story.

Also, yes sunrise and sunset are the best time for pictures, but the whole day isn't like that. If you don't like the light, don't take pictures. Others, like me like to sleep in the morning, so learn to shoot around high sun, like getting above the train. However, they are not you, so stop criticizing them for getting good pictures accepted to this site.

You also want to change your attitude if you want more help here and make some friends and get acceptances.

B&O: the First, the Best
Pennsy: the Standard, but still #2

My pix:http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=11344
Railfan Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:50 AM   #30
JimThias

Aaron, here is the sun angle for the shots in question. The arrow on the left is the sun angle in Chris's shot, which you said you liked. The arrow on the right is the sun angle in the NS shots that you think is harsh. Compare the length of the grab bar shadows in Chris's shot to those of the shadows in the NS shots. VERY similar in shortness, meaning a LOW sun angle. If you like the sun angle in Chris's shot, then it would be contradicting to say you don't like the sun angle in the NS shots when they are nearly identical.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arrows.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	4.6 KB
ID:	2887  
Old 06-03-2008, 02:52 AM   #31
Aaron Jors

Quote:
I swear you still haven't looked at the grab bar shadows yet.

Jim I'll be honest I looked at the grab bars but it's hard for me to use them as a basis point. The exif I show for the 1st shot for the original time was 13:10:29 which would be 1:10 and then it shows another time of 19:36:54 so I'm not sure we can go by the exif.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:57 AM   #32
JimThias

Quote:
Jim I'll be honest I looked at the grab bars but it's hard for me to use them as a basis point. The exif I show for the 1st shot for the original time was 13:10:29 which would be 1:10 and then it shows another time of 19:36:54 so I'm not sure we can go by the exif.
Yeah, the exif on both of those shots seems to be screwed up, so it's not showing the correct time.

Why is it hard for you to use the grab bar shadows as a basis for sun angle? It's pretty cut and dry...the shadows don't lie, unless they were photoshopped.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:01 AM   #33
Aaron Jors

Quote:
Aaron, here is the sun angle for the shots in question. The arrow on the left is the sun angle in Chris's shot, which you said you liked. The arrow on the right is the sun angle in the NS shots that you think is harsh. Compare the length of the grab bar shadows in Chris's shot to those of the shadows in the NS shots. VERY similar in shortness, meaning a LOW sun angle. If you like the sun angle in Chris's shot, then it would be contradicting to say you don't like the sun angle in the NS shots when they are nearly identical.

Jim I just don't see it if the sun was at the angle you displayed in that diagram then the shot would have had to been early in the day. If you take your diagram and compare it to the location of the shot the left would be west and the right would be east. So the sun would the be hitting the subject South/Southeast angle.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:02 AM   #34
Aaron Jors

Quote:
Yeah, the exif on both of those shots seems to be screwed up, so it's not showing the correct time.

Why is it hard for you to use the grab bar shadows as a basis for sun angle? It's pretty cut and dry...the shadows don't lie, unless they were photoshopped.
Im not sure why, I guess I just don't really have a clear picture in my mind of how the grab bars are angle and placed on the locomotive. I don't know much about trains I just like to take pictures of them.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 AM   #35
JimThias

Quote:
Jim I just don't see it if the sun was at the angle you displayed in that diagram then the shot would have had to been early in the day. If you take your diagram and compare it to the location of the shot the left would be west and the right would be east. So the sun would the be hitting the subject South/Southeast angle.
Aaron, it's obvious that you're not using the grab bar shadows to determine the "height" of the sun, and I really can't think of anything more telling to convince you of the angle, so I guess I'll just move on.

Anyway, back to your rejection...it is indeed a cloudy day/common power shot. Correction...hazy sunshine...not strong enough lighting. And judging from the VERY faint shadows from the grab bars, it's higher sun and backlit.

Last edited by JimThias; 06-03-2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:08 AM   #36
Aaron Jors

Quote:
Aaron, it's obvious that you're not using the grab bar shadows to determine the "height" of the sun, and I really can't think of anything more telling to convince you of the angle, so I guess I'll just move on.

Anyway, back to your rejection...it is indeed a cloudy day/common power shot. Correction...hazy sunshine...not strong enough lighting. And judging from the VERY faint shadows from the grab bars, it's higher sun and backlit.
Jim fair enough and thanks for the fun debate I apreciate your input. I sent a message to both photographers and asked if they recall the time of day the shot was taken, I'll keep you posted if I hear back from them.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #37
JimThias

Quote:
Jim fair enough and thanks for the fun debate I apreciate your input. I sent a message to both photographers and asked if they recall the time of day the shot was taken, I'll keep you posted if I hear back from them.

(wait a minute...are you old enough? haha)
Old 06-03-2008, 03:09 AM   #38
Aaron Jors

Thanks everyone who commented on this post I appreciate your input. I am going to remove the photos that I linked up because some feel it is in appropriate that I linked the photos to this post. I in no way mean't to offend anyone.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #39
Aaron Jors

Quote:

(wait a minute...are you old enough? haha)
Yes Jim, 26.