Old 08-24-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
trainman111

Default Help with bad cropping

Hi all,
Just got rejected for bad cropping and softness. I can sharpen a little in photoshop, but what do you all think about cropping? I'm thinking that some of the right side can be taken off, but I figured I would pass it by the "pros" first.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=723686&key=0

Thanks,
Nick
trainman111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

I'd recrop, and get rid of some of the bottom of the shot.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
trainman111

Alright thanks Loyd. What about the right side? Do you think that should go or stay?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainman111 View Post
Alright thanks Loyd. What about the right side? Do you think that should go or stay?
I'd keep what you need to keep the image cropped at a 3:2 ratio. I fiddled with it briefly, and I cut the image off between the first and second tracks, with the bottom of the image right under the dwarfs.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
WembYard

You could also loose a bit on the left as well, at least half an inch - maybe a little more. Keep the caboose in the shot though.
WembYard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:03 AM   #6
trainman111

Alright. Now, I got nailed for poor composition/balance. I tried my hardest to keep a 3:2 ratio as Loyd suggested. Anything else that can be done?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=724136&key=0

Thanks,
Nick
Old 08-26-2009, 01:56 AM   #7
JRMDC

I think Loyd went overboard with the advice to crop so much at the bottom; I would retain the bottom left rail joiner (is that the right term? oddly, I am not sure). I would then crop on the left, retaining the caboose but cutting the switchstand, and I would crop the sky to end up with roughly a 3:2 ratio.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:52 AM   #8
henfiet

Ahhh, I see you got the wonderful over/undersharpened rejection "burn." It's a pretty safe bet that no matter what you do, this shot is not going to get accepted unless the screener is on dope. You could probably upload the exact same pic untouched 5 times, and get 5 different reasons for rejection. And if you try to sharpen the image any, you'll get the reverse "oversharpened" excuse. Frankly, I like the pic just fine, but I'm not a screener, so I can't help any.
henfiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:19 AM   #9
GuilfordRailSD45

People post their rejected shots and request help for a reason - It's so that they can get critique on their shot, and in the end improve it; and maybe even have a good chance of getting it in.
However, people don't normally post their rejected shots here so that others can tell them that the screeners would have to be sky-high to accept the shot.
And this shot certainly has some potential to get into RP with the right adjustments.

FYI: @ henfiet - You seem rather new to RP. There is more than one screener. A screener may see something "off" with a shot; something completely different then what the previous screener may've seen not quite right about the shot. This is because certain people happen to notice certain things. In the end, all the rejections are only helping you, and the shot to look better - Even if the shot doesn't make it onto the database.

Railfanning the elusive Guilford/ Pan Am since '06

My RP pix : http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=20376

Last edited by GuilfordRailSD45; 08-26-2009 at 05:23 AM.
GuilfordRailSD45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:11 PM   #10
henfiet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilfordRailSD45 View Post
FYI: @ henfiet - You seem rather new to RP. There is more than one screener.
Oh, I'm very much aware that there are more than one or two screeners on this website. And their acceptance inconsistencies are the very reason for the problems listed within this post. I merely stated the truth. I'm sure there are dozens of photographers out there (quite a few of them I know personally) who could back up what I said 100% and then some. Truth hurts. I've watched several friends repeatedly upload the same untouched pic on 5+ tries, and got a different rejection reason each time. Your assumption of me being "new' to RP is also wrong.
henfiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
Joe the Photog

Nick;

What kind of post processing are you doing? The shot as is looks like it came almost straight out of the camera. A simple click of the auto settings in PSE7 cleared up some of the "muddiness" of the shot. Also, what kind of camera are you using and at what setting? Also, RAW or JPEG?

After we know that, we can probably help you a little better. As it is, there are issues with this shot that might keep it out of RP, some are technical, but some are clearly cropping and composition. First, from that angle, it mighthave ben hard to frame an aethetically pleasing shot keepping the caboose in the frame. The placement of the ground level signals (not sure what they're called) is also odd. It puts everything of interest in the middle of the shot and, in this case, in front of the train.

I'd also offer the opinion that the watermark is distracting, but that is, of course, only my opinion.
Old 08-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by henfiet View Post
Oh, I'm very much aware that there are more than one or two screeners on this website. And their acceptance inconsistencies are the very reason for the problems listed within this post. I merely stated the truth. I'm sure there are dozens of photographers out there (quite a few of them I know personally) who could back up what I said 100% and then some. Truth hurts. I've watched several friends repeatedly upload the same untouched pic on 5+ tries, and got a different rejection reason each time. Your assumption of me being "new' to RP is also wrong.
Sure, there are inconsistencies, as in any human endeavor with a subjective element. But there is a more important factor. Due to the extreme volume of shots to be screened, the screeners usually give only one or two rejection reasons, even if many more apply. So if a different screener looks at the same shot that has multiple problems, sure you may see a completely different rejection.

This issue frustrates many, especially those who haven't spent enough time on RP to really understand the process. But it is what it is; I know of no way to change the system, barring the appearance of a multimillionaire benefactor to pay the screeners for the extra time it would take to do the more extensive feedback. It's free, it has limitations, some people have trouble dealing with that.

BTW, nice of your friends to waste the screener's time by resubmitting the same shots instead of trying to improve them. Quality people. But then look at the company they keep, Mr. "screener is on dope".

And, BTW, tell yourself and your friends, standards at RP are high, perhaps too high for your/their comfort. Joe's assessment is much more accurate than your "I like the pic just fine" - your response suggests a lack of sensitivity to what makes a photo be the best it can be and suggests continued frustration with RP until you pick up on the technical and compositional issues. It is actually not that hard, but it does take a willingness to improve.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:39 PM   #13
Ween

Quote:
I'm sure there are dozens of photographers out there (quite a few of them I know personally) who could back up what I said 100% and then some.
Good for you. But keep in mind there are dozens of photographers out there (quite a few I know personally) who could refute your point of view and then some.

People love to blame their problems on the screeners, their standards, or inconsistencies, but 9 times outta 10, the real problem lies with the image in question. Otherwise, how do you explain all the people who have had photos accepted? I know, some folks will say it's because people pay for Elite memberships or they're buddies with the screeners or on and on and on...the excuses for people having their photos rejected are seemingly endless, but it's odd that one excuse is always left out: my photo isn't good enough. That truth hurts.