Old 12-05-2010, 05:26 AM   #1
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Wink Giving an Original File to Someone

Group,

I have been approached by someone who appears to be a non-professional and who wants to a use a copy of one of my images.

To wit:
Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 347096
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography


He sent me an e-mail as follows:

HI I AM (Name witheld) FROM aUSTRALIA,

JUST TO ASK YOU COULD YOU SEND ME FULL SIZE PHOTO OF THE SAME IT IS SO INTERESTING.
just for myself private use.
I LIKE IT.

The person has a G mail address and provided nothing more.



My inclination is to give it to him.

I am not planning on funding my child's college education off this image, however I shot it and hold the copyright.

What do you think and why?
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Sounds completely legit...
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
LSRC Railfan
Senior Member
 
LSRC Railfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 274
Default

I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't give anybody an original file that I don't know, especially if they write like that. That being said, it's not necessarily a "spectacular" shot (I know you have better in the database).
LSRC Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 AM   #4
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSRC Railfan View Post
I wouldn't do it. I wouldn't give anybody an original file that I don't know, especially if they write like that. That being said, it's not necessarily a "spectacular" shot (I know you have better in the database).
Well ya, that is my feeling.

This is just a photo I popped off while I was standing on a hill last week.

It is not really very special and I certainly didn't work hard to get it.

Additionally, if the guy really wanted to swipe my image, then why send an e-mail at all?

Just go to Flickr and he could get a much better version there.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:48 AM   #5
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Just go to Flickr and he could get a much better version there.
Then let him. I'd e-mail him back and say, "Thanks for your interest. But, no."
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:52 AM   #6
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb Curious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Then let him. I'd e-mail him back and say, "Thanks for your interest. But, no."
But why?

It is not like this is going to end up in a book somewhere.

Why would you not want to give it up?
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 05:54 AM   #7
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,899
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
But why?

It is not like this is going to end up in a book somewhere.

Why would you not want to give it up?
Because it's not worth my time to bother with it. Why would you want to give it up?
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Did it go something like this?

Quote:
Subject: Awaitting your responce.

My name is Danjuma Sule, one of the sons of major Gen Gumel Danjuma Sule, The late Nigeria's former minister of mines and power in the regime of the late former Nigeria's military Head of state, Gen Sanni Abacha.

He married my mother on the agreement that my mother,Amina Fausat Sule, will maintain her family's name together with her children. Before he died in the German hospital on the 15th of November 1988 where he went to operate on the cancer of the knee, he fixed the Sum of $30,000.000.00 in the Central Bank of Nigeria under Intartrade Ventures Ltd on behalf of my mother. The 3 yrs maturity period placed on the money is due but the problem we are having now is that we lost the whole of the documents as a result of fire, which gutted our house 3 months ago.

We have discussed with our family attorney on how to collect the money with out hitches, he advised us to liaise with a foreigner who will act as the foreign partner of Intartrade Ventures Ltd and will purport that The money in question is urgently needed overseas for an important project.

It is on this basis I am seeking for assistance. Your percentage is negotiable. Please note; your age and profession doesn't really matter in this transaction. Waiting for your immediate response.

Regards,
Danjuma Sule
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:01 AM   #9
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Did it go something like this?

Quote:
Subject: Awaitting your responce.

My name is Danjuma Sule, one of the sons of major Gen Gumel Danjuma Sule, The late Nigeria's former minister of mines and power in the regime of the late former Nigeria's military Head of state, Gen Sanni Abacha.

He married my mother on the agreement that my mother,Amina Fausat Sule, will maintain her family's name together with her children. Before he died in the German hospital on the 15th of November 1988 where he went to operate on the cancer of the knee, he fixed the Sum of $30,000.000.00 in the Central Bank of Nigeria under Intartrade Ventures Ltd on behalf of my mother. The 3 yrs maturity period placed on the money is due but the problem we are having now is that we lost the whole of the documents as a result of fire, which gutted our house 3 months ago.

We have discussed with our family attorney on how to collect the money with out hitches, he advised us to liaise with a foreigner who will act as the foreign partner of Intartrade Ventures Ltd and will purport that The money in question is urgently needed overseas for an important project.

It is on this basis I am seeking for assistance. Your percentage is negotiable. Please note; your age and profession doesn't really matter in this transaction. Waiting for your immediate response.

Regards,
Danjuma Sule
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:38 AM   #10
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

I'd give it to him but only as a low /medium resolution. RP resolution is the max I tend to give out - otherwise, he can buy a print from you. I think cut and paste which anyone can do is a given on RP anyway.

I'll drag it out if the request is too vague, ie; no name or a simple "Can I have a digital copy, thanks" Trainfan.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:45 AM   #11
Greg P
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 1,003
Send a message via AIM to Greg P
Default

Ask him what he wants it for. Railpictures.net images are ok size for desktop backgrounds.

The terrible grammer and spelling would make me turn and burn as fast as I could.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 02:28 PM   #12
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Senior Member
 
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Marlboro, NJ
Posts: 1,956
Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Group,

I have been approached by someone who appears to be a non-professional and who wants to a use a copy of one of my images.

To wit:
Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 347096
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography


He sent me an e-mail as follows:

HI I AM (Name witheld) FROM aUSTRALIA,

JUST TO ASK YOU COULD YOU SEND ME FULL SIZE PHOTO OF THE SAME IT IS SO INTERESTING.
just for myself private use.
I LIKE IT.

The person has a G mail address and provided nothing more.



My inclination is to give it to him.

I am not planning on funding my child's college education off this image, however I shot it and hold the copyright.

What do you think and why?
Send it. With your copyright on it. See if it gets a reaction other than "thank you".
__________________
-Andrew Blaszczyk a.k.a. AB(2)
Proud fan of the Sabres, Islanders, Rockies, and Lions.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 04:47 PM   #13
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb The Nigerian Scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Did it go something like this?
No, it was not one of those.

Most of the message is in the original post.

Here is what I did with one of those people back in January.

The person sent a message to everyone on Rail Pictures and I figured what the heck, I'll bite.

Here is the picture of the alleged damsel in distress:

Name:  Jully 131.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  4.9 KB

It was the same story - I am rich and stuck in Africa.

Please help me get my money out and I will give you some.

Only problem was that Jully (pictured above) contacted a railfan Site and Big Bill Stonewall was not all that interested in money, rather he wanted Jully to go to Winter Rail with him.

Big Bill:

Wild Bill Stonewall III

I would solicit ideas from members of the forum for what Bill would say and then put them in an e-mail and send it off.

It was wild because the person on the other end would reply (usually they don't).

It was great fun for a few weeks.

If you want some light reading, check out the adventures of Bill and Jully.

http://www.socalrailfan.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4289

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 12-05-2010 at 06:57 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 06:14 PM   #14
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
The terrible grammer and spelling would make me turn and burn as fast as I could.
__________________
.
Rhymes with slice, rice and mice, and probably should be spelled like "Tice."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:05 PM   #15
travsirocz
Senior Member
 
travsirocz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Eau Claire, WI
Posts: 2,459
Send a message via AIM to travsirocz
Default

Why can't he just right click copy the one from RP?
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 PM   #16
Greg P
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 1,003
Send a message via AIM to Greg P
Default

I wonder if RP.net could work out a way to have a "click here to buy" option.
Greg P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg P View Post
I wonder if RP.net could work out a way to have a "click here to buy" option.
That would likely be more trouble than it's worth. They would have to work out a way to price each picture, they would of course have to take a cut, some people wouldnt be willing to do it. I doubt that would be worth it to any of the parties involved.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:03 AM   #18
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Lightbulb

Thanks for the responses.

I think I will ask the person who they are and what they want it for.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:36 AM   #19
Chase55671
RailPictures.Net Crew
 
Chase55671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Nitro, WV
Posts: 2,194
Send a message via AIM to Chase55671 Send a message via MSN to Chase55671
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
No, it was not one of those.

Most of the message is in the original post.

Here is what I did with one of those people back in January.

The person sent a message to everyone on Rail Pictures and I figured what the heck, I'll bite.

Here is the picture of the alleged damsel in distress:

Attachment 5966

It was the same story - I am rich and stuck in Africa.

Please help me get my money out and I will give you some.

Only problem was that Jully (pictured above) contacted a railfan Site and Big Bill Stonewall was not all that interested in money, rather he wanted Jully to go to Winter Rail with him.

Big Bill:

Wild Bill Stonewall III

I would solicit ideas from members of the forum for what Bill would say and then put them in an e-mail and send it off.

It was wild because the person on the other end would reply (usually they don't).

It was great fun for a few weeks.

If you want some light reading, check out the adventures of Bill and Jully.

http://www.socalrailfan.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4289
You're a very sick individual.

However, very humurous read. Thanks for sharing!

Chase
__________________
Chase Gunnoe
Railpictures.Net Crew
Rail-Videos.Net Crew
Click here to view my photos at Railpictures.Net
SLR Night Photography Tutorial | Railpictures.Net Beginners Guide
Chase55671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:36 AM   #20
Mgoldman
Senior Member
 
Mgoldman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 3,641
Default

This site has gone to the dogs... in this thread alone, there are 3 doggy avatars!

The people have spoke. They can't get enough dogs.

The times they are a changing.

Chris - y'know what I want for Christmas.

I'm making my list, I'm submitting it twice : )

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #21
crazytiger
Senior Member
 
crazytiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: NS Greenville District
Posts: 1,473
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
No, it was not one of those.

Most of the message is in the original post.

Here is what I did with one of those people back in January.

The person sent a message to everyone on Rail Pictures and I figured what the heck, I'll bite.

Here is the picture of the alleged damsel in distress:

Attachment 5966

It was the same story - I am rich and stuck in Africa.

Please help me get my money out and I will give you some.

Only problem was that Jully (pictured above) contacted a railfan Site and Big Bill Stonewall was not all that interested in money, rather he wanted Jully to go to Winter Rail with him.

Big Bill:

Wild Bill Stonewall III

I would solicit ideas from members of the forum for what Bill would say and then put them in an e-mail and send it off.

It was wild because the person on the other end would reply (usually they don't).

It was great fun for a few weeks.

If you want some light reading, check out the adventures of Bill and Jully.

http://www.socalrailfan.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4289
Wow! I think they deserved that one. Way to make 'em never contact you again. Very funny.
__________________
Peter Lewis | Portfolio | Profile | Flickr | Facebook

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM


Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM   #22
coborn35
Senior Member
 
coborn35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Duluth, MN
Posts: 1,398
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
No, it was not one of those.

Most of the message is in the original post.

Here is what I did with one of those people back in January.

The person sent a message to everyone on Rail Pictures and I figured what the heck, I'll bite.

Here is the picture of the alleged damsel in distress:

Attachment 5966

It was the same story - I am rich and stuck in Africa.

Please help me get my money out and I will give you some.

Only problem was that Jully (pictured above) contacted a railfan Site and Big Bill Stonewall was not all that interested in money, rather he wanted Jully to go to Winter Rail with him.

Big Bill:

Wild Bill Stonewall III

I would solicit ideas from members of the forum for what Bill would say and then put them in an e-mail and send it off.

It was wild because the person on the other end would reply (usually they don't).

It was great fun for a few weeks.

If you want some light reading, check out the adventures of Bill and Jully.

http://www.socalrailfan.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=4289
That was absolutely hilarious!
__________________
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 07:08 PM   #23
troy12n
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 5,333
Default

I got an email from someone on RP.net asking to use one of my pictures for something, but his email address keeps bouncing. I dont know if it is legit or not. Since the email address he sent from does not appear to be working or legit, I think it's not.
He identified himself as:
Scott Teague
T&W PRODUCTIONS
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 03:28 AM   #24
jnohallman
Senior Member
 
jnohallman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
I'm making my list, I'm submitting it twice : )

/Mitch
PEQ
Uncorrected re-upload.

Jon
__________________
"Everybody talks about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." - Mark Twain

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:25 AM   #25
Holloran Grade
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: In the California Republic
Posts: 2,774
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I got an email from someone on RP.net asking to use one of my pictures for something, but his email address keeps bouncing. I dont know if it is legit or not. Since the email address he sent from does not appear to be working or legit, I think it's not.
He identified himself as:
Scott Teague
T&W PRODUCTIONS
That is real professional - a non-functioning e-mail.

Perhaps you could post it as a comment on the photo that he is interested in:

ATTN: Scott Teague of T&W PRODUCTIONS

Dude, your e-mail don't work!
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.