Old 04-12-2005, 11:08 PM   #1
SD70MAC
HOBO

Default Heading For Arizona

Hi Folks tomorrow night I will be heading for Scottsdale, AZ for a week on vacation. I was there last year and noticed a large bridge going over to Tempe. I know thats the UP but how many trains can I expect to see over that bridge if I were to railfan there? I will also be going up to the Seligman sub to railfan at Cosnino for the day. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
SD70MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 03:04 AM   #2
cactus65

Talking

just returned from cosnino less than a month ago, excellent photo ops there, as you come off of the Interstate you will turn left and will come up on the tracks in less than1/4 mile. Is a dirt road just before the crossing to your right. Is very rough and more of a cow path than a road, but is definately worth the effort. would also suggest Bellmont to the west Of Flagstaff too.

http://www.railimages.com/gallery/shaunmcmillan

All of the BNSF photos were taken at either Cosnino or at Bellmont
If you have any more Questions, just send me a message
BTW, were there about 7 hrs and logged over 30 trains, even with one that had the WB main blocked for over an hour
cactus65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 03:09 AM   #3
cactus65

Here is another very useful site, this is where we got alot of info for our trip
Have fun and have a safe trip, BTW, the weather is alot diff. from the PHX. area. Left 72 and sunny in the Valley to arrive to 42F and 30mph winds, so be prepared

http://www.trainweb.org/brettrw/bnsf...ligmansub.html
Old 04-13-2005, 06:19 AM   #4
SD70MAC
HOBO

Excellent shots! That spot looks even better now that I have seen diffrent view points of it. Believe me I know the huge temp diffrence from Phoenix to Flagstaff. I was there last year on my way to the grand canyon and I could believe the diffrence. Anyways how long of a drive is it from Phoenix. And whats the best day to go? And lastly can I expect alot of foreign power? Thanks a ton for your help!
Old 04-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
cactus65

Is about a 2 hr. drive there from the valley. We went on a Sunday and still saw plenty of traffic as I said before. We did not see alot of foreign power, maybe 10 units total(only 1 leading). Will see tons of intermodal and auto rack trains and a few General Mech.Expect at least a train every 10-15 min from either way will see lots of meets at Cosnino saw at least 6 there that day.Be careful and keep a safe distance from the R.O.W. has been a few accidents very recently there. Is a nice little cut on the cow path that is a very nice photo spot of the S-curves. Be careful on the Interstate up there, is not in very good shape, very rough. Have fun , and post some pics from there
Shaun
Old 04-14-2005, 09:41 PM   #6
CactusDx

Ryan,

As Shaun mentioned, it was a very worthwhile trip. It was my first trip up the hill to railfan the Seligman Sub and can't wait to go back again.

Be sure to post your pics!

Mike C
Phoenix Az
CactusDx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 05:16 AM   #7
SD70MAC
HOBO

Thanks guys! Well im in Arizona now and the weather is great. I will be heading to Flagstaff for the day on Saturday and then will go to Cosnino later in the week I will be sure to post plenty of pics. Already saw a UP rack train by the airport today. Didnt see the power though but im pretty sure thats the UP.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:55 PM   #8
CactusDx

Yeah, weather here IS really nice right now.

You're also correct, that's the UP running next to the airport.
If I didn't have to work tomorrow ( ) I'd go back up to Flagstaff with ya!

Mike C
Phoenix Az
CactusDx is offline   Reply With Quote