Old 06-29-2005, 04:27 PM   #1
nsnscalerailfan

Send a message via AIM to nsnscalerailfan
Default Detroit

I'm going to Detroit in a few weeks for the MLB All Star Game. I might have a little time to kill before hand. Are there any good and easily accessable spots that anyone would recommend?
nsnscalerailfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 05:03 PM   #2
Wade H. Massie

Default Detroit

I've scouted around Detroit a bit, and Del Ray is probably the busiest spot that's readily accessible. It's south of downtown, right by I-75. Not very scenic, but it features a manned tower and a grade crossing. There are probably some interesting locations in the city, but I don't know how safe or accessible they might be.

West of town, near the airport is Romulus. The CSX and NS mains cross here, this location is safe and moderately photogenic:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=43611

-Wade

www.WadesImages.com
Wade H. Massie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 01:42 AM   #3
nsnscalerailfan

LOL, I don't think I'm going to try any night photos downtown. I wouldn't fell comfortable with a disposable camera, let alone a DSLR.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
nsnscalerailfan

Wow, thanks for the info. I had about an hour and a half to kill so I went to Ecorse and tried to see some action but there wasn't anything.... Stopped by Rouge River Yard for a few minutes (saw CR GP15-1's and NS GP38-2's), turned around, finally found Del Ray. Waited 5 minutes, light engine move of a CP SD40-2, SOO SD60 (Red scheme), and another CP SD40-2 came from the west, crossed the diamond and doubled back. Waited 20 minutes and then things got good. CSX C40-8 and a CEFX SD40-2 (SD45 body) took and intermodal towards downtown from the west... As that was passing a pair of CN SD75M and a GT GP40-2 took a manifest in the same direction. I saw a headlight in the distance.... NS freight pulled up to the end of a siding..... Three trains moving at the same time right in front of me. Then a FOURTH train, a NS local with a NW caboose being shoved by a GP50 turned up and then turned around. All 4 were moving at once. Then the NS cleared the siding 15 minutes later....primer dash 9 leading a HLCX SD60. Then I headed out.... A VERY good spot though. It was a little cloudy, sucker hole came out for the NS local but the other pics are a little dark. I'll upload them in a bit though.

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2005, 05:16 PM   #5
Donna

Delray is a great place to shoot trains. You have to shoot around all the poles, wires, weeds and fences. You got lucky on the day that you went. Most days you are lucky if you sit there for 3 hours and get 2 trains. I usually shoot there on Saturday mornings. I would be interested in seeing your pictures.
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:40 PM   #6
ccaranna

Quote:
You have to shoot around all the poles, wires, weeds and fences.
Know all about that! I am beginning to think that city shooting is by far harder due to all of the clutter than shooting in the country.

On the couple of trips out of town, I found it much easier to frame shots without pulling out my hair, or constantly having to move around to be in the clear.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:53 PM   #7
Ru1056

Send a message via Yahoo to Ru1056

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarana
On the couple of trips out of town, I found it much easier to frame shots without pulling out my hair, or constantly having to move around to be in the clear.
Its like playing a really intense game of twister to get a shot without any obstructions here in Indy.

JREB.ORG. Moderated discussion forums about NS & CSX

Remember the ugly photo god.
Ru1056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:23 AM   #8
Wade H. Massie

Default City Shooting

It's true, city shooting is a whole art form unto itself. Pittsburgh generally has good access, I guess I'm fairly lucky. Detroit is a different story altogether. Based on my limited experience there, I'd have to say that Detroit is one of the tougher cities to photograph trains in.

I've seen a couple of good shots on the southside get obscured by wires and such. This shot, http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=111740 now has an ugly green fence, pole line, and lights in the way. On the other hand, there are occasions where development actually opens up new photo angles. An example of this is the Pirates parking garage, which gives a nice view of the flyover at Federal St.

-Wade

www.WadesImages.com
Wade H. Massie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:33 AM   #9
ccaranna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade H. Massie
development actually opens up new photo angles.
Very true! In Columbus, the area around the old long-forgotten Union Station is having a resurgence. The area was really run down for quite some time, until about 15-20 years ago. Ever since Nationwide Arena was completed in 2000, there are lots of new parking garages, and newer buildings and such, but it's still a challenge to get the light and the traffic to cooperate. Typically the traffic (when there is some) heads away from the sun! (when there is some)

I think I'm going to have to actually get up in the morning and see if my luck changes.

Chuck
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:45 AM   #10
nsnscalerailfan

The sun only came out for one train....I didn't even submit the others. Here it is: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=112381

I'm going to put the others on one of personal galleries soon.