Old 07-26-2005, 08:08 AM   #1
Marc

Default ATSF / SP question

Hi all,

Today I found this site and I hope you guys can help me with the following. I would like to start modelling a US railroad in O scale (1:4 but I canít make up my mind which railroad. I like both colours and type of engines of the ATSF and the SP. A little while ago I bougth a ATSF SD-26. Now I was wondering would it be possible for the ATSF and the SP to meet somewhere on the outskirts of a city maybe around the early 1990ís ?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Marc
(The Netherlands)
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
J

Several locations come to mind.

Many locations where the two railroads either crossed or had parallel operations

Los Angeles area including Techacahpi (Mojave to Bakersfield - ATSF had trackage rights over SP), Colton Tower, Santa Ana area.

Northern California the two railroads crossed at Stockton.

Phoenix Arizona
Vaughn NM
Denver to Pueblo, CO
El Paso TX
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
Dalhart, TX
Kansas City Kansas
Chicago - ATSF came in via Fort Madison, IA, SP via their SPCL line and Springfield, Il
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 04:56 PM   #3
CDTX_2051

Quote:
Originally Posted by J
Several locations come to mind.

Many locations where the two railroads either crossed or had parallel operations

Los Angeles area including Techacahpi (Mojave to Bakersfield - ATSF had trackage rights over SP), Colton Tower, Santa Ana area.

Northern California the two railroads crossed at Stockton.

Phoenix Arizona
Vaughn NM
Denver to Pueblo, CO
El Paso TX
Dallas, TX
Houston, TX
Dalhart, TX
Kansas City Kansas
Chicago - ATSF came in via Fort Madison, IA, SP via their SPCL line and Springfield, Il
ATSF & SP (now BNSF & UP) had a junction called Calwa Crossing in South Fresno. The two roads run roughly parallel for most of the way up the San Joaquin Valley.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:01 PM   #4
J

Thanks, should not have forgotten that one. There are several other crossing points such as Beaumont westward in TX. Bottom line is it would be perfectly reasonable to model the two railroads. Especially when you consider they almost merged 20 years ago as SPSF. Among other things, that stood for "Shouldnt Paint So Fast!"
Old 07-26-2005, 10:47 PM   #5
Slopes09

Send a message via AIM to Slopes09

Also around the Joliet area. The SP owned the IC tracks south of there, while the IC owned them to the north. However, most traffic on the IC tracks was SP runthrough. The two parallel each other for a while through Joliet, including Union Station. If you have more questions about that, I'd ask Nick Hart since he lives out there and could probably explain it better than me.
Slopes09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 06:35 AM   #6
NicTrain35

Smile ATSF and SP Lines - Joliet

Hi guys. The UP Line follows the CN/IC Line to Ohio Street, which is right down the line from Joliet Union Station, and then there is a switch there. The station is visible from there. The UP switches and heads to the EJ&E Yard at Ohio Street. Then that track turns into the CN/IC Line. The BNSF also splits and runs across the bridge, while the CN/IC and UP run below.

My pictures at RP:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=3955
NicTrain35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2005, 02:42 PM   #7
Marc

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies. This is just the excuse I needed to use both ATSF engines and SP engines. Now I can buy a SP engine and use it with a clean conscience.

Cheers,
Marc
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 05:02 PM   #8
upswitchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by J
Thanks, should not have forgotten that one. There are several other crossing points such as Beaumont westward in TX. Bottom line is it would be perfectly reasonable to model the two railroads. Especially when you consider they almost merged 20 years ago as SPSF. Among other things, that stood for "Shouldnt Paint So Fast!"

If you would like to know more about the Beaumont area I can help As I work for UP.
upswitchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
J

Thx for offer. I'll post next time I've a question.

Last edited by J; 08-02-2005 at 07:58 PM.