Old 04-27-2008, 12:05 AM   #1
bigiron

Default How about make this a requirement....

I know some have commented on the lack of information in the "remarks" section of submitted photos and I would like to ask the screeners and viewers here if they feel it would be fair to make the "remarks" section contain some information or the picture gets rejected automatically? I know if you leave certain areas blank it will reject the photo right away and think it could be done the same way. Maybe on some instances it's a glitch in the uploading process and the photo can be edited later.

Is it being too harsh to suggest this and ask the contributors to make sure to fill this section? I don't think so as it is sorta like picking up a book without a title and leaves you to wonder what is this picture about. After all the time to submit and upload a photo, taking a few more seconds to give a brief explanation of the shot would make the picture that much better and would fit the theme of "The best railroad photos on the 'net!".

I'm not sure how others feel, but to me if I see no remarks it will take a special picture for me to click on the thumbnail and see it larger. I like to learn a bit about the scene I'm seeing and with no remarks the experience is tainted.

Just my opinion after seeing a plethora of them today .

Rich Clark
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Mgoldman

A picture's worth a thousand words... doesn't bother me much.

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:21 AM   #3
Northern Limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron
I'm not sure how others feel, but to me if I see no remarks it will take a special picture for me to click on the thumbnail and see it larger. I like to learn a bit about the scene I'm seeing and with no remarks the experience is tainted.
This part I agree with. I have caught myself pausing at a thumbnail, and because there was no comment I have not clicked on it.
Because this is an international site, it is helpful to be able to read a little information about the picture that is in a different region or country.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!
Northern Limits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:35 AM   #4
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiron
Is it being too harsh to suggest this and ask the contributors to make sure to fill this section?
Yes. Harsh and nit picky.

Besides, we can't even get some people to put in reporting marks. Now that it my biggest pet peeve.

Joe
Old 04-27-2008, 01:14 AM   #5
jdirelan87

I remark on about half of my photos, if I don't remark on one its means everything I have to say is already covered in the data section. What's the point of writing "Q226 is seen here heading east on CSX's Pittsburgh through Homestead,PA" if all that info is already available?

I suppose I could add useless cliches like "on a glorious winter/spring/summer/winter day" or "is seen here flying/cruising/rocketing/blasting/crawling along" but why waste my time and yours?
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
Darryl Rule

It shouldn't be a requirement. For those who think it's a waste like John, then they don't have to do it. Some people enjoy making a caption up, so for them, let them do it if they like. I personally rarely read the comments until after the thumbnail catches my eye. I don't think I have ever clicked on a thumbnail because of what a caption said. Im not going to click on an poorly lit shot that doesn't interest me just because the caption says something like "Note the rabbit eating the grass next to the station".
Old 04-27-2008, 02:15 AM   #7
Switched out

I would not reject a photo because there were no remarks provided even though I do find it annoying however in certain cases the photographer should be asked to provide additional information.

Case in point
Image © Chris J. Allen
PhotoID: 233029
Photograph © Chris J. Allen

I have no idea what this getup is used for and a little more information could have been provided. If the Photographer is just as stumped about it as every one else at least they could have remarked "Stuffed if I know whats it's used for but it does make for an interesting photo" or words to that effect.

Christine.
Switched out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:16 AM   #8
Clockwise_Corn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Limits
This part I agree with. I have caught myself pausing at a thumbnail, and because there was no comment I have not clicked on it.
Because this is an international site, it is helpful to be able to read a little information about the picture that is in a different region or country.
Well, most of the viewers speak English, and it would be hard to read Polish comments for an English speaking user, but it could be translated...
Clockwise_Corn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:29 AM   #9
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched out
I would not reject a photo because there were no remarks provided even though I do find it annoying however in certain cases the photographer should be asked to provide additional information.

Case in point
Image © Chris J. Allen
Christine.
I was wondering about that one as well...

A quick search on Google may provide some answers.

While I can live fine without remarks, I typically research most of my photos prior to uploading - a little history adds to the overall picture : )

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:04 AM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwise_Corn
Well, most of the viewers speak English, and it would be hard to read Polish comments for an English speaking user, but it could be translated...
Funny that you use this example. While my remarks are always English, my native language, I do speak Polish and when I am leaving a comment on someone else's shot taken in Poland I write it in Polish and provide an English translation on the next line. If I ever get over there and take pictures of my own, I'll probably dual language the remarks.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:16 AM   #11
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

I don't fill in the comment area untill after it has been accepted since it is a waste of time when a shot gets rejected. Also this is a photo site and not a story site, the photo should be enough. How many photos have you seen hung on the wall with a caption on the bottom? Not many.
Sometimes I will shoot something strange and not be able to comment on it since I don't even know what I saw.

Make comments mandantory. NO

Do I like comments filled out. YES
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:34 AM   #12
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdirelan87
I remark on about half of my photos, if I don't remark on one its means everything I have to say is already covered in the data section. What's the point of writing "Q226 is seen here heading east on CSX's Pittsburgh through Homestead,PA" if all that info is already available?

I suppose I could add useless cliches like "on a glorious winter/spring/summer/winter day" or "is seen here flying/cruising/rocketing/blasting/crawling along" but why waste my time and yours?
You've spent more time looking at my photos than I was aware of...
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:39 AM   #13
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz
IHow many photos have you seen hung on the wall with a caption on the bottom?
Best line of the day! Although some of Mitch's captions are golden!

Joe
Old 04-27-2008, 03:44 AM   #14
ottergoose
American Gunzel

Send a message via AIM to ottergoose Send a message via Yahoo to ottergoose

Quote:
How many photos have you seen hung on the wall with a caption on the bottom?
How many photos have you seen hanging on a wall where there's a blank plaque underneath?

There's a space for a caption, it ought to be filled out.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:09 AM   #15
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergoose
How many photos have you seen hanging on a wall where there's a blank plaque underneath?
I was at an art show today where most of the work was photographs. There was not a caption under any of them. Just a name, which appears on RP, and a price, which does not appear on RP.

Joe
Old 04-27-2008, 04:13 AM   #16
Joe the Photog

Maybe this will be the next caption I load: "This is the caption under the photograph. The photograph is above the caption. The caption tells what you're looking at in the photograph. Which you would see if you were looking at the photograph and not reading this caption."

Joe
Old 04-27-2008, 05:14 AM   #17
Ween

Quote:
"if I don't remark on one its means everything I have to say is already covered in the data section. Q226 is seen here heading east on CSX's Pittsburgh through Homestead,PA" if all that info is already available?
The direction of travel is not indicated in the data section, and that's one of the things I look for, especially if I'm visiting an area.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #18
ccaranna

Quote:

I agree, I've always felt that the captions in the photos should say as much as the ones you'd find in a magazine, and for the most part, the required information the website already requests is sufficient. (Railroad, date, location, train, photographer, locomotive)

Everything else is icing on the cake, so I understand why you feel that it's a waste of time to describe what a "WONDERFUL DAY IT WAS AS THE TRAIN BLASTED PAST ME!!"

But honestly, it seems the only person's time that's getting wasted is yours if you read into the comments as cliche and let them get to you. It's no skin off anyone else's, and apparently it wasn't a waste of time for the photographer that wrote them. Don't read them if they make you sour.
ccaranna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:21 PM   #19
bigiron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switched out

Case in point
Image © Chris J. Allen

I have no idea what this getup is used for and a little more information could have been provided. If the Photographer is just as stumped about it as every one else at least they could have remarked "Stuffed if I know whats it's used for but it does make for an interesting photo" or words to that effect.

Christine.

Christine,

Glad you made a point to show this photo as it really got me thinking as to starting a thread on the subject and it looks like it's created some interest. Most photos should have the ability to tell their own story but certain details such as train direction and the photographer's thoughts are missing if one is curious.

To compare these photos to ones in an art gallery is to compare apples to oranges IMO. This is a train photo database and in some instances people use it for seeking information on certain trains and as one remark stated, since there is a section provided for "remarks" then it should be used. Take your theory one step further, pictures at an art gallery usually don't have the date and other information for leaving the other categories blank should be status quo too, right?

It's just another tool provided to inform the viewers and I wanted to put a feeler out there as to the sentiment in the this area.

Thanks for the responses, Rich
bigiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:14 PM   #20
JimThias

Quote:
I suppose I could add useless cliches like "on a glorious winter/spring/summer/winter day"...
Thanks, John. I knew there was an adjective I hadn't used yet.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:21 PM   #21
JimThias

Quote:
How many photos have you seen hung on the wall with a caption on the bottom? Not many.
True. However...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccaranna
I agree, I've always felt that the captions in the photos should say as much as the ones you'd find in a magazine...
I think photos on an online database are more similar to those seen in magazines, where you almost ALWAYS see a caption.

Photos on a wall are often up for a discussion between the viewer and the photographer/owner. The same can't really be said for photos viewed in a magazine or online.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #22
transit383

I like detailed captions (must be my engineering background... lots of details!). I feel that the photo is naked without a story to go with it.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 PM   #23
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
The direction of travel is not indicated in the data section, and that's one of the things I look for, especially if I'm visiting an area.
Winner!!!!! 'Useless' information such as "on a such-and-such morning" indicates a time of day for that specific angle which might not be able to be found in EXIF data. Some people aren't familiar with all towns on a subdivision so I sometimes inlcude one or two that are along the line in case someone is researching the line/location.

Like some people have said I like to include some historical information to show the significance of the spot or engine. If nothing stands out I state the obvious to fill the space.

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:15 AM   #24
alstom
Banned

For crying out loud - is this really that big of a deal? I could honestly care less if a photo I view does or does not have a caption. As long as they have some information in the Data section.
alstom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:28 AM   #25
bigbassloyd

I enjoy reading the captions, and find them useful on occasion to me.

"What may mean nothing to you, may mean the world to somebody else"

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote