Old 08-01-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
Sacsim

Default Kraus-Maffei Locomotive Sighting?

I am wondering if anyone in the East Bay/Sacramento area can confirm something I believe I saw on Sunday, July 27th. Coming back from the grocery store around 3 or 4, I noticed a short mixed manifest coming from Pleasanton heading east. I positioned myself below the trestle that crosses Arroyo Mocho and I shot a few seconds of video on my cell phone (for my son) and as I was sending the video, I looked up and saw something odd.

At the end of the short mixed freight was a Crane mounted on a flat bed with "roseville" markings, then what appeared to be the last KM4000 in existance, the old SP Diesel Hydraulic locomotive, followed by a Southern Pacific "daylight" passenger car. I assume that the short train was on its way to Roseville or to the Sacramento Rail museum.

Can anyone else confirm what it was that I saw on Sunday? Was it the old KM or just some other neglected loco with an odd "greenhouse" cab that looked like it?
Sacsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Arne H. B.

I'm not sure the train you saw was headed East, but you probably did see the KM Camera car on the move! Apparently the CSRM decided they weren't going to do anything with it so it was taken by the Niles Canyon Railway and is in Brightside yard now. The pictures I have seen of it are a bit sad to say the least, but I'm happy they have it and the NCRY will surely do a great job cosmetically restoring it and you will definitely see some photos of it on rp.net soon by somebody. Check out ncry.org and they'll have some more info about it.
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Arne H. B.

After searchimg their website I can't even find any information about the move yet, guess they haven't updated it yet. Here is a link with more info
http://ncry.org/sp9010/index.htm

Last edited by Arne H. B.; 08-04-2008 at 11:24 AM.
Arne H. B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #4
Sacsim

Very interesting! I did see it heading East but apparently it went back to Brightside the very next day. The photo on the sight you linked me to from 07/28 has the two other "unique" cars I saw that Sunday, a Daylight passenger car and a hopper mounted crane car lashed up on either side of the sad looking KM. I hope it is restored to its former glory, as I would love to see it running through Niles Canyon someday.

Thanks for the info!
Sacsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 PM   #5
J

Locomotive is (has been for a long time) inoperable. The lead Maybach diesel engine (located over the lead truck's third axle) and the hydraulic transmission (located low in the nose) were removed to make way for the camera equipment and power supply. I believe the rear diesel and transmission remain but were deactivated. The machine is unable to move itself but can operate trailing locomotives via a standard MU set up. I would doubt anyone is going to devote the resources to get this former locomotive back in service.
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #6
tomt

seems small, next to a 'cab forward'

http://ncry.org/sp9010/8799rh01.jpg
tomt is offline   Reply With Quote