Old 04-16-2009, 05:02 PM   #1
inrdchris

Send a message via AIM to inrdchris Send a message via Yahoo to inrdchris
Angry This is just nuts!!!

Every single photo that I upload to railpics gets rejected! I have only been lucky once! They reject photos that I feel should not be rejected. Does this happen to anyone else here? I have been looking around on the site and there is a small number of people that have hundreds of photos. Some look pretty bad, but still seem to get accepted. In an essense I think that the screeners have *favorites* and those *favorites* get any picture they want accepted all because they have hundreds of photos already in the database...Does anyone else agree with me on this subject?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #2
shanedeemer

Yes, everybody will agree with you on this subject. However, it doesn't matter what you think or what your opinion is, you are at the mercy of the screeners.

You will learn they don't care about the story behind your photo, don't care how far you traveled, rarely care about the subject, appear to have favorites and are very quick to reject your photo and accept photos that are worse than yours for reasons unknown.

Seldom is there such a thing as a perfect photo and rejections are subjective and/or nitpicky.

In the end it is their website. Either accept it or move on.

Oh, and hopefully your photography will improve because of the experience.
shanedeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by inrdchris View Post
Every single photo that I upload to railpics gets rejected! I have only been lucky once! They reject photos that I feel should not be rejected. Does this happen to anyone else here? I have been looking around on the site and there is a small number of people that have hundreds of photos. Some look pretty bad, but still seem to get accepted. In an essense I think that the screeners have *favorites* and those *favorites* get any picture they want accepted all because they have hundreds of photos already in the database...Does anyone else agree with me on this subject?
Lets see some rejected photos!
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #4
Nscalemike

Send a message via AIM to Nscalemike

Care to share any examples of your recent rejections
Nscalemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #5
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

........oh that's right, WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE!

Keep trying, look at the shots on here and follow the guidelines, put both together and there you go. It doesn't help when you get angry and rant.

Ben
Old 04-16-2009, 05:25 PM   #6
JRMDC

Well, the topic of the post seems boring, another not-accepted-on-RP whiner, but it does lead to an interesting little thing to track down - who might the poster be?

Let's see, first name probably Chris, located in Indianapolis so let's see who shoots there... Do a search on all "Chris" shots in Indiana, look to see who might have one shot, Chris Lastovich, no, lots of shots, Chris Zygmunt, no, lots of shots, Chris Groeling, no, I know the name, maybe Chris White, one shot accepted, Chris Smith, no, a number of shots.

Chris White it is! Perversely, I give the whiner a chance for some more views!

Image © Chris White
PhotoID: 248420
Photograph © Chris White

Chris, stop whining, and stop thinking it is luck and favoritism. And go get some better shots. Decent detail shot; BTW, I am a fan of such shots.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 04-16-2009 at 07:19 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Every single photo that I upload to railpics gets rejected! I have only been lucky once!
Well, which is it? Every single one? Or every single one except that one that got accepted? Those are kinda mutually exclusive, you know.

Quote:
They reject photos that I feel should not be rejected. Does this happen to anyone else here?
Nah, you're the only one. None of us ever has a photo we want to share with others than the screeners hen reject. You're the only one it happens too.

The thing abut having favorites is plain poppycock. Chris K. one ofthe admins has all but told us that it would make more sense for the site to accept more pictures, not to reject them. More pictures accepted, more pages viewed, more ad revenue.

Tada. Conspiracy theory shot down.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #8
cassfan3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedeemer View Post
You will learn they don't care about the story behind your photo, don't care how far you traveled, rarely care about the subject, appear to have favorites
On the front page, click on Photo Stats and take a look at all the people who have more than 100 shots on. It's way too big of a list to have favourites. Also, screeners DO give quite a bit of leeway on many rare subjects. As far as the story and how far you traveled, RPN is not your personal travelogue nor is it trainstories.net. You may have traveled halfway across the globe to shoot something that runs through someone else's backyard. Most shots are judged on the basis of its individual photographic merits. Keep in mind not to take rejection reasons too literally. The overall photogenicity of a shot can trump small technical issues that would snag others.

I had no photos on RPN 2 or 3 years ago and got nothing but rejects...now I still get rejects. I'm not one of the big names on here and I'm pretty sure I'm no one's favourite. That's not to say I agree with every reject, but if you cut the personal tie to your work and look at them objectively, you'll see the screeners are right most of the time.

-Nick McLean
Greenville, NC
cassfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #9
Ween

Yeah, we're gonna need to see what's being rejected before we "side" with your point of view. Having friends/family/people already pre-disposed to hate anything RP are not good, clean, objective judges of your work. Posting examples of your rejections here will get you some opinions from non-invested folk. Give it a try...you might learn something!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:28 PM   #10
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

The thing abut having favorites is plain poppycock. Chris K. one ofthe admins has all but told us that it would make more sense for the site to accept more pictures, not to reject them. More pictures accepted, more pages viewed, more ad revenue.

Tada. Conspiracy theory shot down.
Yes, but they need poor photos to be rejected to keep higher quality. Higher quality means more repeat customers.
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:03 PM   #11
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
Yes, but they need poor photos to be rejected to keep higher quality. Higher quality means more repeat customers.
Huh? A joke, or I just read this wrong?

If they want to raise quality, they don't need to, say, receive more poor photos that they can then reject. To raise quality they need to reject more shots that are marginal relative to their current standards but are being accepted.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:39 PM   #13
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

I think that's what I'm going to be doing on sunday Jim! Thanks for reminding me!

Ben
Old 04-16-2009, 10:31 PM   #14
bigbassloyd

Quote:
2 years ago I would have agreed with you 127%, and helped you hold the gas can as you poured it onto the servers that hold RP.net...

However, after some research, and a resolve to determine if it was their "favoritism", or my lacking ability, I went from this:

http://bigbassloyd.rrpicturearchives...aspx?id=598310
http://bigbassloyd.rrpicturearchives...aspx?id=598585
http://bigbassloyd.rrpicturearchives...aspx?id=723878
http://bigbassloyd.rrpicturearchives...aspx?id=675489

(All previously rejected here, and I felt all were "great photos")

to this:

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=18157

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:04 AM   #15
mark woody

Having just had my first two photos accepted after numerous rejects it can be frustrating i know but if you like the shots be happy,if you wish to share and improve ask for help in these forums the people here are honest no nonsense straight to the point experienced and helpful take heed and learn.I do and so do many others both my acccepted shots got there with help from this forum.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #16
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post

........oh that's right, WE'VE ALL BEEN THERE!

Ben

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:10 AM   #17
RicHamilton

Loyd

I like that Big Bend Tunnel shot. Just needs a bit of tree pruning.
RicHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 12:25 AM   #18
BarrySr

Send a message via Yahoo to BarrySr
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicHamilton View Post
Loyd

...Just needs a bit of tree pruning.

Uh-ohhh! Here comes Mark Bau, somebody hold him back!

"I dug 'dem boats when diggin' em wasn't cool"

"Why are the crazy people so enamorate of all things EMD?" [Holloran Grade]

View My Photos on Railpictures.net
BarrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 01:37 AM   #19
NSFan14

No need to get your panties all up in a bunch, Everyone gets rejected around here. Just got to know what to look for and all. It took me probably 3 years to get 91 photos in the database, Just be patient...Time will come!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:30 AM   #20
John Ryan

Send a message via AIM to John Ryan

Quote:
Every single photo that I upload to railpics gets rejected! I have only been lucky once!
I see the problem. It's the luck. Luck has nothing to do with getting photos accepted to railpictures. Luck is what happens when preparation collides with opportunity.

To answer your questions:

1) If you feel that your photos were wrongly rejected, post them here. There are lots of contributors willing to help new members with feedback and photography tips. If your photos are killer and the screeners screwed up, there are probably lots of people willing to participate in a witch hunt.

2) Do other people get rejects? Of course. Who are we kidding? Every photographer has gotten rejects. Some get more rejects than others. You have two choices. You can work with the site, with the screeners, and with the forums to bring your photography around to "acceptable" standards. Or, you can assume that your photos are excellent, that the fuss isn't worth your time, and take them elsewhere. There are plenty of free photo hosting sites out there.

3) Regarding bad photos; this site has been around for a few years and the screeners accepted some petty rough stuff back in the early days. With a stable contributor base, the screeners are working to raise the standards. What was acceptable two or four years ago may not make the cut now. That's the nature of the site, and you'd be hard pressed to find anyone not in favor of continuous improvement.

4) Favorites. This is always an interesting topic, one that we could discuss for hours. Everyone loves to assume that the screeners play favorites, and that there's some vast conspiracy against the "little people." Anyone who believes that only needs to find the thread where Andrew Blaszczyk posted about eight of his own rejections in a week. In case you didn't know, he's a screener himself.

So, let's see those rejections!
John Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 03:54 AM   #21
lock4244

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarrySr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicHamilton View Post
Loyd

Just needs a bit of tree pruning.
Uh-ohhh! Here comes Mark Bau, somebody hold him back!
Somebody looking for a chainsaw?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
Agreed. My experience may be typical, I visit RP a few times a day and always go through the newly posted shots. I visit RRPA maybe 25 times a year... often from a link in a post on a forum at that.

Insert witty comment here

Hot girl on girl action here!

More Pics Here
lock4244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:33 AM   #22
FAdams

Well I could not agree any less! I started posting in September 2008. My first few were rejected and I was MAD. After a long email pissing match with one of the Chrises I finally got over myself and took their advice. If I were them I would have never accepted my photos. Since then I have have had 111 photos accepted several top views and 1 screeners choice. I think I have about a 75% acceptance rate. This being said I have not met or do I know anyone on this site personally. For this reason I think your statment about playing faves is way off base.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:40 AM   #23
trainmaster_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by lock4244 View Post
Somebody looking for a chainsaw?
Let's hope your chainsaw is oiled up and ready to go Mike.

CN Conductor

Click here to view my pictures on RP.net
trainmaster_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 07:31 AM   #24
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain

It has been a year since Ive been on this site now, I went 3 weeks without a second shot being accepted. It's easy to get discouraged, and frustrated but Its worth it when you get it right. Unfortunately college has been keeping me from the hobby here lately and now high sun is back.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote