Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 PM   #1
reb2003

Cool High summer sun...

At first I thought I had figured out the backlighting issue, only to find that having the sun TOO high can be not very good also

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=222264104

Any suggestions for shooting in the summertime (other then avoiding the high mid day sun)?

I'm thinking I also need to be learning when to and not to use the telephoto...
reb2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:09 PM   #2
cblaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb2003 View Post
Any suggestions for shooting in the summertime (other then avoiding the high mid day sun)?
That's the main thing. Unless it's a special move or a steam excursion or tourist line that only runs during high sun, your best bet for shooting regular freight or passenger trains in the summer is to get out from sunrise to 10 am, or from 4 pm to sunset.

- Chris
Old 07-08-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Shoot when you want, how you want, but don't expect high sun shots to get on RP unless there is something extraordinary about it.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:17 PM   #4
Nscalemike

Send a message via AIM to Nscalemike

There were some shadows off to the side...it didn't appear to be that much "high sun"...but with all the vegetation around your subject...the image looked cluttered to me..

Of course then I live in the desert southwest...where a 2 ft tall mesquite bush qualifies as a tree!
Nscalemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:23 PM   #5
Joe the Photog

It may not be high sun, but it's poor lighting the way RP sees it. It's a tad cluttered, as mentioned by Nscalemike and there may be some poor image quality going on since it was cropped down. I think it's a no-go for RP.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #6
asis80

Send a message via AIM to asis80

Lighting aside, the way this shot was executed is wrong. At least it was executed wrong with a tele. I think what you were trying to do was just get a "grab shot" as the train was coming around the curve. You need to be a bit closer to the tracks, or get on a bridge over looking the tracks and do what you wanted to do here. It just doesn't work when you're almost perpendicular to the tracks over looking the tracks, especially with the vegetation on the side there. With only being about an hour in a half drive from Altoona, why don't you spend a day on the slopes. An all day event at the slopes is well worth the hour and a half drive. It's not like you're wasting your time, well worth it.

Ben

*I see a lot of shots from Mifflin you could take. This link here looks like he was where you were but down farther a bit, check it out.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=256705&nseq=8
Old 07-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #7
KBSR309

Send a message via Yahoo to KBSR309
Default High summer sun

I guess from now on, you leave and go home till about 3pm...then take pictures, cant take high sun pics at noon..just my thoughts!
Quote:
At first I thought I had figured out the backlighting issue, only to find that having the sun TOO high can be not very good also

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=222264104

I'm thinking I also need to be learning when to and not to use the telephoto...
KBSR309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:24 PM   #8
reb2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis80 View Post
Lighting aside, the way this shot was executed is wrong. At least it was executed wrong with a tele. I think what you were trying to do was just get a "grab shot" as the train was coming around the curve. You need to be a bit closer to the tracks, or get on a bridge over looking the tracks and do what you wanted to do here. It just doesn't work when you're almost perpendicular to the tracks over looking the tracks, especially with the vegetation on the side there. With only being about an hour in a half drive from Altoona, why don't you spend a day on the slopes. An all day event at the slopes is well worth the hour and a half drive. It's not like you're wasting your time, well worth it.
Thanks, I'm still learning with the tele... also, I try not to get too close to the tracks. The only photo I ever had accepted was in a dangerous spot where I should not have been, it was with a older point and shoot camera. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=207621 This was poor judgement on my part, the Marysville bridge right of way is not a good place to hang out close to the tracks.

I actually live out near the Susquehanna River, but Altoona isn't too far, the lighting there is a huge challenge (at least at the Curve) but I do go there a lot and do my best...

I really appreciate all the constructive criticism though from everyone on here though, and will take it all into account on my next trip!
Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #9
cblaz

Quote:
Altoona isn't too far, the lighting there is a huge challenge (at least at the Curve) but I do go there a lot and do my best...
If the lighting is a challenge at Horseshoe Curve (and I agree, it is), then don't hang out there. There are plenty of other spots, on either side of the mountain, where good shots can be had.

In the morning, shooting from the parking lot or overhead walkways behind the hospital on 17th St. in Altoona (next to the railroad museum) or at the Brickyard crossing between Altoona and Horseshoe will provide well-lit shots, as will the angles from the viewing platform in Cresson.

In the afternoon, the West Slope (not Slopes, Ben ) of the mountain is the place to be. The Cassandra overlook, the signal bridge in Summerhill, the tunnel portal in downtown Gallitzin as well as the west side of the tracks in Cresson are all well-lit. These locations are easy to get to and on public property.

Closer to you, there are similiar spots. The arch bridge in Duncannon is a railfan hangout and well-lit in the afternoon, as is the signl bridge in Cove.

Most of these places are well-documented on Railpictures. A search of the trackside towns in your area will usually show you good photo locations.

- Chris
Old 07-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
The only photo I ever had accepted was in a dangerous spot where I should not have been, it was with a older point and shoot camera. http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=207621 This was poor judgement on my part, the Marysville bridge right of way is not a good place to hang out close to the tracks.
Wasn't there some discussion on this forum regarding that image and whether or not it was obtained by trespassing? I seem to recall something...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblaz View Post
In the afternoon, the West Slope (not Slopes, Ben ) of the mountain is the place to be.
Is there an east slope?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:48 PM   #11
cblaz

Quote:
the West Slope (not Slopes, Ben ) of the mountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Is there an east slope?
The east slope would be the climb from Altoona to the summit in Gallitzin, though there is no common name for it. The West Slope is a common railfan name for the stretch from Gallitzin down to Johnstown, depending on preference. The whole line is actually NS's Pittsburgh Line from Harrisburg to Pittsburgh.

I only pointed it out cause Ben keeps calling it the slopes and I keep thinking of a ski area.

- Chris
Old 07-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
JimThias

Quote:

I only pointed it out cause Ben keeps calling it the slopes and I keep thinking of a ski area.

- Chris
Ah, ok. I was wondering if there was an "east slope" because the name "west slope" kind of implies there might be.

Hearing "slopes" probably irritates you as much as "city limits" signs irritate me (the perimeter of a city is not plural, much like the groove of a record is not plural).

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 07-09-2009 at 09:20 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:15 PM   #13
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Quote:
"city limits" signs irritate me :
But it is right the way it is used, as limits of authority, What bugs me is pop 112 and that was 40 years ago

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #14
reb2003

Quote:
Wasn't there some discussion on this forum regarding that image and whether or not it was obtained by trespassing? I seem to recall something...
Possibly, I will definately admit it was trespassing. Lesson learned and its not something I ever even considered doing again.