Old 04-13-2017, 01:25 AM   #26
Joe the Photog

I still like this version better. I may not have looked at it again if the other shot hadn't been rejected, too.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...83&key=2138231
Old 04-13-2017, 01:40 AM   #27
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm not sure why I was married to the nifty fifty at this spot. I usually shoot wider, too, but not here for some reason. My leg was hurting pretty bad at the time though and I was having some trouble standing. But that's no excuse. I'm working on another shot from the same spot. Not sure it's RP-worthy, but it's probably better than this one.
Hi Joe,

I've become interested in primes myself lately. In the last year, I've purchased 5 of them. I have a 20, 24, 35, 50 and 85. And although they refer to the 50 as a "normal lens", and I shot a Nikkor 50mm f/2 for YEARS when I was young, I now find the 50 to be the least useful lens I own. In fact, I have started to wonder if I could do a whole day of charters with just my 70-200 f/4, and a 24 f/1.8. When I look at most of my real keepers, they were shot at 24mm. I like them because you see more of the side of the locomotive than you do with a longer lens.

So far, I am finding that in terms of usefulness, the above list of primes shakes out like this:
  1. 35
  2. 20
  3. 24
  4. 85
  5. 50

In that order. The 35 is a nice walking around lens. The 20 is great in museums, engine houses, etc. The 24 is great for run-bys. The 85 is nice for portraits. And the 50 is really not good for much of anything.

Just my experiences. I will say this, the IQ that you get with primes is really good. They're lighter too!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:45 AM   #28
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
I ran into Chase once in Prince and on the Pokey randomly, but in all that time I was coming up there twice a year, I never ran into you!
Ninja.

Loyd L.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:50 AM   #29
KevinM

Quote:
I still like this version better. I may not have looked at it again if the other shot hadn't been rejected, too.

Well.....I guess I can see the screener's point that there's not much of the lit side of the train visible, and 611 does have a very dark nose.....but geez, this shot has a lot of other things to offer such as the plume, the signals, the station environment, etc. In my view, this shot definitely has more appeal than some of the other back-lit 611 stuff from last weekend, which may have exposed slightly more of the side of the train, but didn't have much in the way of interesting elements beyond that. I lean toward saying you got robbed.

Edit:

Image © Ryan Markham
PhotoID: 612871
Photograph © Ryan Markham

The Markham shot probably comes closest to your's Joe. His may be just a tad brighter, but his scene balances a little better, whereas yours is a bit heavy on the right with the tall plume and signals, and leaner on the left with the low profile station. Still, similar angles with similar light.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 04-13-2017 at 01:56 AM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:52 AM   #30
troy12n
Banned

After looking at my shots of that location, I picked the wrong spot... that 45 minute delay in leaving really put the sun higher than I was expecting and I did not adjust.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:12 AM   #31
JRMDC

Quote:

The right side is great, but the left side is dismal. It is one thing to have the nose in shadow, another to also have an entire station in shadow.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 05:15 AM   #32
ATSF666

Quote:

Do you have one with the train closer to you? I think that could work. I don't think this works as well where you placed the train.
Old 04-13-2017, 05:12 PM   #33
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The right side is great, but the left side is dismal. It is one thing to have the nose in shadow, another to also have an entire station in shadow.
Looks to me like a good candidate for an 8 X 10 vertical crop...
Old 04-13-2017, 05:26 PM   #34
xBNSFer

Quote:
There's been a lot of backlit shots of this weekend accepted, expecially of the morning run on sunday, because literally ALL shots were backlit or sidelit on the run from Spencer to Charlotte.
Leading right up to reason #2 why I won't waste my time submitting photos to RP.net - because even their own stupid "rules" aren't consistently enforced, which just gos to show that they shouldn't be "rules" in the first place.
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 06:39 PM   #35
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by xBNSFer View Post
Leading right up to reason #2 why I won't waste my time submitting photos to RP.net - because even their own stupid "rules" aren't consistently enforced, which just gos to show that they shouldn't be "rules" in the first place.
Their 'stupid rules' have never been official stupid rules. RP has guidelines. I can't find anything about the 'rules'. I do see generalized guidelines with language that allows a photo by photo interpretation of such guidelines.

Loyd L.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #36
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
I thought the same thing.

Loyd L.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:11 PM   #37
jac_murphy

IMO, Ryan's shot nails the exposure and contrast, hands down.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 02:26 AM   #38
Decapod401

Quote:
Where do you post your photos? I would be curious to see some of them.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:39 AM   #39
RobJor

Image © Ryan Markham
PhotoID: 613112

I likely would not have noticed except for following this thread but did a double take,
"didn't I see this before". They should do something about that old smoke stack before it falls over.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 03:33 PM   #40
wds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
Image © Ryan Markham
PhotoID: 613112

I likely would not have noticed except for following this thread but did a double take,
"didn't I see this before". They should do something about that old smoke stack before it falls over.

Bob
Old 04-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #41
Dennis A. Livesey

Smile

Joe,

I like it; it is a good solid 3/4 shot with plume and signal with good processing.

What would make it even better is some detail on the nose and to have the whole plume. The plume is steam's greatest signature and truly adds to the dynamism and power they exude.

This one of mine was rejected for backlit and unlevel. I got in on appeal.

Image © Dennis A. Livesey
PhotoID: 612324
Photograph © Dennis A. Livesey

The original was much looser; I cropped but maintained the plume. I jacked up the front exposure but that may be too much for some. Having the powerful tools of digital and no way being able to do this shot on color transparency film, I couldn't help myself.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #42
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Repeating the obvious. The minute we get hung up on "rules" (or guidelines or whatever) we're in trouble. Rules and guidelines can be helpful as a learning tool, a starting point. But rules are made to be broken. Broken rules are often what makes a great image standout. Good photogs know when to break them, the rest of us produce decent technically proficient images (if we're lucky). But the photographer is really only an intermediary, what really is important is what works for the viewer. And not everybody loves a Picasso.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:27 PM   #43
xBNSFer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
Their 'stupid rules' have never been official stupid rules. RP has guidelines. I can't find anything about the 'rules'. I do see generalized guidelines with language that allows a photo by photo interpretation of such guidelines.

Loyd L.
Ok, their "stupid guidelines."
xBNSFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 04:36 PM   #44
SAR Connecta

Quote:
If "their" guidelines are so stupid and you have an obvious dislike for the site / you don't feel inclined to submit your photos to the site, why bother about visiting the RP forum?
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:12 PM   #45
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by wds View Post
Totally agree. In my mind the issue is far more composition than back lighting, the backlighting is what gives the image drama, but the dark station area really detracts. The screener hit the wrong button, so what's new.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 09:54 PM   #46
RobJor

Rules or guidelines, it would be hard to make the case that people concerned about posting here do not have them in mind when shooting and obviously processing. Even when I post some historical images, it is OK, nose goes here, crop this much, take out some if the distinctive hue, clone out some weeds, sharpen so much, etc.

It is nice that some exceptional photos or photographers rise to level to be exempt but when we look a 97 or 125 photos in a day(if we do) and see similarities then.....

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:24 AM   #47
bigbassloyd

Quote:
I will be there again Memorial Day weekend. Apparently signals are still up at Webster, Villamont, Blue Ridge and Montvale.

Webster and Montvale have replacements up, but not cut in, and unknown if that will happen before 5/31...
Update:

Webster and Blue Ridge fell today. The rest will be gone in the next 2 weeks. So plan your shots accordingly..

Loyd L.
Old 04-16-2017, 02:26 AM   #48
bigbassloyd

Quote:
I really dislike Hardees (Carl's Jr for you western folks), but I don't visit there to talk about how much I dislike them.

Loyd L.
Old 04-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #49
SAR Connecta

Quote:
I really dislike Hardees (Carl's Jr for you western folks), but I don't visit there to talk about how much I dislike them.

Loyd L.
I had to google to get this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hardee%27s

My Railpictures.Net photos can be found here http://www.railpictures.net/sarconnecta/.
SAR Connecta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:46 PM   #50
miningcamper1

Quote:

Loyd L.
I'll stop at Hardee's if the only other option is a microwaved cheeseburger at a convenience store.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is online now   Reply With Quote