Old 05-30-2016, 11:31 AM   #1
Decapod401

Default Backlit

I tried to post something a little different from the recent 611 excursions, and it got rejected for a backlit nose. Any thoughts on improvements /appeals?

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...95&key=5779471
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #2
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Interesting rejection. I think it is a VERY NICE image, creative, and quite above the RP average. In my view it would be even better if the engine were a bit farther down the track, if the rods were down, and if those bare branches on the left were not there, but those are things that would simply make a good image better. I think the backlighting adds to the picture, not detracts. I would certainly appeal if you haven't already. Perhaps you are the victim of too many 611 submissions and one or more screener is just getting cranky.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:56 PM   #3
RobJor

Didn't know steam shots were rejected for back lit nose? but problem I see is a large part of the foreground is blacked out bridge abutments and then there are the out of focus flowers which can be a matter of opinion I guess but think are too prominent like they are. At least my viewing it appears that some of the near foilage is in focus and then not but maybe an illusion.. Would be an interesting assignment to try to take multiple exposures and focus and blend them together.

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:42 PM   #4
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJor View Post
....then there are the out of focus flowers which can be a matter of opinion I guess but think are too prominent like they are. At least my viewing it appears that some of the near foilage is in focus and then not but maybe an illusion.
The depth of field is interesting. The abutment on the right is sharp, yet the flowers that seem to be about the same distance are out of focus. Apparently the flowers are closer than they appear. The fact the flowers are out of focus doesn't bother me all that much, maybe because I'm an old film guy and that sort of issue was common since film was typically much slower (and we had much less DOF) than with the relatively high digital ISO's we use today.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
Noct Foamer

I like it. The colors and use of light are great. I really don't understand the obsession with light on the nose. I think that would be detrimental to a shot like this because the shade makes the headlight stand out better. Really don't understand these people.

Kent in SD
Noct Foamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 12:35 AM   #6
jac_murphy

I agree with the others that the dark nose is nice, but I think this shot may have worked better with just enough sidelight to bring out some of the detail in the bridge piers and girders. As it is, that's a whole lot of black nothingness in the middle of the image.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:18 AM   #7
miningcamper1

Everything seems to be leaning to the right.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 01:39 AM   #8
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
The depth of field is interesting. The abutment on the right is sharp, yet the flowers that seem to be about the same distance are out of focus. Apparently the flowers are closer than they appear. The fact the flowers are out of focus doesn't bother me all that much, maybe because I'm an old film guy and that sort of issue was common since film was typically much slower (and we had much less DOF) than with the relatively high digital ISO's we use today.
Those observations are quite astute. In the true confessions category, after a 10-15 year slowdown in the hobby for career and family time, I'm still shooting film. I have my eye on a new D750, but the budget isn't quite there yet. Yes the flowers are about 2-3 feet in front of me, while the abutment is maybe ten feet away.

Since my original post, I processed an image that I took the day before. It's framed vertically instead of horizontally, and it looks like the train was maybe a half-hour earlier. I don't like it as well, but I'll throw it out for comments:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan 0000P-1.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	9198  
Old 05-31-2016, 01:43 AM   #9
Decapod401

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
Everything seems to be leaning to the right.
The bridge girder ribs closest to the center of the image are vertical.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:54 AM   #10
Decapod401

I appealed the rejection - Admin upheld the rejection. Their loss.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:17 AM   #11
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decapod401 View Post
I appealed the rejection - Admin upheld the rejection. Their loss.
I agree. Good that you appealed, but obviously they just don't like it. On with life.

Last edited by John West; 06-04-2016 at 10:17 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:40 PM   #12
KevinM

My $.02. I like the original shot with a few caveats. I agree with John that having the locomotive a little further down the track would have been better. I think the leveling of the image is also an issue, and could probably be corrected to a degree without losing too much of the edges. I probably would have also processed the shadows a bit more, but as you indicated, this isn't a digital image, so I don't know how much latitude you have there. I have just a tiny amount of experience trying to process film/slide scans.

I think it was a great idea. Certainly, it is more original than the endless array of "611 splits the CPLs at East Podunk" images that we've seen this year and last. Some of the best images ever made of steam locomotives were backlit. I have all manner of coffee table books full of images shot by the pioneers in this hobby to prove it.

Doug, you need that D750. You will love it! It will give you freedom you've never experienced with a film camera.

And no, I don't work for Nikon!

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote