Old 11-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #1
JMeade

Default Composition

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...31&key=7378896

I had photographed from this location during the summer (photo below) and thought fall colors would look delightful. Apparently, the Screener thought the composition is off.

Opinions/critiques are welcomed.

Image © Joseph Meade
PhotoID: 584541
Photograph © Joseph Meade
JMeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:27 AM   #2
John West
Senior Curmudgeon

Cool

The composition of the fall shot suffers because there is too much foreground compared to your summer shot. That puts the train into an awkward position. But my personal big problem with the fall shot is the color looks very unnatural, as if you did something to the balance to emphasize the fall color. The foliage looks okay, but the rest of the image is way too warm and unnatural looking. The train itself looks washed out. But RP seems to accept "over processed" images these days, so maybe the composition was a bigger issue for the screener. I don't know what your original looks like, but with better composition and better color it has the potential to be a gangbusters image.
John West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 12:29 PM   #3
JRMDC

Adding the great expanse of foliage on the right, and bottom a bit, to your previous composition, does not work. It's a "dead space" despite all the color. And what John said re color. Just look at the color of the river!

You can take this shot, crop it to be more like your previous one, and fix the color. If you don't want to end up with the same composition, go vertical, just the left half, that would look very nice.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:48 PM   #4
miningcamper1

The foliage in the photo is actually "past peak" and a bit subdued.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
jac_murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Adding the great expanse of foliage on the right, and bottom a bit, to your previous composition, does not work. It's a "dead space" despite all the color. And what John said re color. Just look at the color of the river!
The Hudson River is often a murky reddish-brown colour and looks alright to me in Joseph's image, but I agree with everything else that's been said re: colour and composition.

-Jacques
jac_murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #6
JMeade

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I did dodge the foliage a bit on the left by +.30 in some areas (the fast moving clouds blocked the sun as the train came south), however as someone said the Hudson River looks awful. The image was strictly processed in LR, no filters.

The original shot I got accepted I used my 85mm prime and intentionally used my 50 prime in this shot for a loser composition. It actually got rejected on the first attempt for poor composition, and accepted on a second submission. Perhaps I got lucky.
JMeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 04:35 PM   #7
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeade View Post
The original shot I got accepted I used my 85mm prime and intentionally used my 50 prime in this shot for a loser composition. It actually got rejected on the first attempt for poor composition, and accepted on a second submission. Perhaps I got lucky.
Well, you yourself just said it's a "loser" of a composition!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 07:06 PM   #8
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeade View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I did dodge the foliage a bit on the left by +.30 in some areas (the fast moving clouds blocked the sun as the train came south), however as someone said the Hudson River looks awful. The image was strictly processed in LR, no filters.

Can you post the unedited version so we can see what you have to work with in terms of color and composition?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote