Old 06-21-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
IHapsias

Question Which Camera to buy, and what lense or lense's?

Hello everyone, I have been looking at cameras here for about a year now to replace my point and shoot Canon SX20IS.

I've had my eyes generally on the T2i Rebel figuring it would do me well. As I was continually looking at the T2i and deciding, Canon released the T3i, which is practically the same as the T2i with a few more things with it, one of which is a flip out LCD screen, which I thought might do me some good. Though I was un-sure about the T3i and still am to an extent, that the T3i would be too "new" on the market and the bugs would still be needing worked out of the camera, if need be there are any.

Along with the T3i I've kind of wondered about just spending the extra 100 or 2 dollars to get the Canon 60D. But I was not sure as to whether to get it or not..

I've also have had numerous people tell me just saying my money and go all the way to a 7D, but I don't have the kind of money at the rate I'm making it to get a 7D any time in the near future.

So it came to the un-sure decision of the T2i, T3i, 60D and very skeptically the 7D. But I have still not made a affirmative choice.

Now, comes the lense choices.. After really doing some reading up on the Sigma 17-70 and a lot of positive feedback it came to my conclusion that it would be a good purchase to make, or does it depend to a certain camera's standards?

The 2nd and first choice I thought about was going with 2 lenses, after purchasing a lense kit, consisting of a Canon 18-55MM and a 55-250. I was not entirely sure about though.

I then thought instead of getting 2 lense's just meet right in the middle with the Canon 18-135, but I was told its not that great of a lense to use.

Now.. I am regardless of what camera I get going to be buying it from B&H, and with that said, SHOULD or SHOULDN'T I spend the $300 on a 5 year warranty of the camera?

I was told that buying a good strap and when your going out simply put the camera around your neck ( by the strap, of course ) would be a easier thing to do rather than spending an extra 300 dollars in protection.

All in all... I'm still not sure as to which camera to buy, and what lense or lense's to purchase along with it..

Your opinion, experience, etc. is GREATLY! appreciated!

Thanks in Advance.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:59 PM   #2
Joe the Photog

I could not be happier with my 60D. If the coist difference is not that great between the T3i and the 60D, go with the 60D! It, too, has a flip out screen which is very handy. At night, the LCD screen is really nice. I just flip it around on the back of the camera and work from there.

As I recall, there is about five or six hundred dollars difference between the 60D and the 7D which, for me, settled the debate on which camera to get.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:01 AM   #3
Joe the Photog

I know the kit lens are said to be getting better, but you still get what you pay for. Regardless of the camera you get, look closely at a Sigma 17 to 70 mm. Ask others their opinion on it. I found that mine worked really well when I let go of my XTi.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:02 AM   #4
Freericks
Met Fan

Have you held these cameras in your hand at the store?

If not, go to the store and hold them. Walk around with them. See what feels right for you.

Glass always outweighs body - so find the body that works best for you with all the issues around it and then start saving for glass.

lens
lenses

kit lenses are not appealing to me - Sigma 17-70mm is - but you will be limited on the telephoto
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:34 AM   #5
PLEzero

The best advice I can give you is to forget about getting the 7D. Get the T2i or T3i and spend the rest of your money on quality glass. You can get one of those bodies and the 70-200mm f/4L for the price of the 7D. Don't spend all your money on a nice body and attached a crap lens to it. Multiple new bodies come out every year trying to be better than the last. Glass, for the most part, stays the same. A good lens will last you a long time. I know guys who have had the same lens for 15+ years.

The camera's you've selected are nearly identical. You can do a side-by-side comparison at the link below. All three use SD cards, and have the same size LCD.

dpreview.com side-by-side comparison

Some basics I noted based on the above link.

- 60D is sealed, others are not.
- Same sensor
- T2i and T3i (3.7 fps), 60D (5.3 fps)
- T2i - $700
- T3i - $800
- 60D - $900 (You save -$100 if you buy it from B&H before September)
- T2i doesn't have a movable LCD, is that really something that is important to you? You'll probably wish you had it for 1 out of every 1,000 photos you take.

I wouldn't worry about bugs, there really isn't much they could screw up and if they did it would likely be a simple update.

$300 on a 5-year warranty sounds like a waste of money to me. That's 1/2 or 1/3 the price of the camera you're going to by. You're probably just better off paying to have it repaired or replaced at that price (Assuming anything even happens to it).

Canon 70-200mm f/4L for $680 and Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS for $1150 are my recommendations for glass.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:46 AM   #6
Carl Becker

Just a thought, are you fixed on getting a Canon? That's all that's been discussed here so far. Canon is certainly not the be-all-end-all of the SLR, SLT, MFT, NX, NEX, (what else have I missed?) market nowadays.

~Carl Becker
Old 06-22-2011, 12:49 AM   #7
Hatchetman
Part-Time Railfan

I'd buy a really good lens and a used top-of-the-line canon eos film camera. but I'm a nut.
Hatchetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #8
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatchetman View Post
I'd buy a really good lens and a used top-of-the-line canon eos film camera. but I'm a nut.
I think that is a bit of a stretch.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:19 AM   #9
JimThias

Lenses.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 01:38 AM   #10
Carl Becker

In response to Jim's comment, this is an example of what you can get from other systems.

If you went with Sony, you can get a translucent model for as low as $600, a Zeiss kit lens for $750, and a G series telephoto for $850. Noticeably less than a T2i/T3i and Canon L glass. Plus you get the advantage of fast live view focus and the subsequent benefits in movie mode.

Note that the A35 (the brand new one I linked to) does not have the tilt screen; if you want that upgrade to the A55 (the A33 also has it but has an older sensor).

~Carl Becker
Old 06-22-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLEzero View Post
The best advice I can give you is to forget about getting the 7D. Get the T2i or T3i and spend the rest of your money on quality glass. You can get one of those bodies and the 70-200mm f/4L for the price of the 7D. Don't spend all your money on a nice body and attached a crap lens to it. Multiple new bodies come out every year trying to be better than the last. Glass, for the most part, stays the same. A good lens will last you a long time. I know guys who have had the same lens for 15+ years.

The camera's you've selected are nearly identical. You can do a side-by-side comparison at the link below. All three use SD cards, and have the same size LCD.

dpreview.com side-by-side comparison

Some basics I noted based on the above link.

- 60D is sealed, others are not.
- Same sensor
- T2i and T3i (3.7 fps), 60D (5.3 fps)
- T2i - $700
- T3i - $800
- 60D - $900 (You save -$100 if you buy it from B&H before September)
- T2i doesn't have a movable LCD, is that really something that is important to you? You'll probably wish you had it for 1 out of every 1,000 photos you take.

I wouldn't worry about bugs, there really isn't much they could screw up and if they did it would likely be a simple update.

$300 on a 5-year warranty sounds like a waste of money to me. That's 1/2 or 1/3 the price of the camera you're going to by. You're probably just better off paying to have it repaired or replaced at that price (Assuming anything even happens to it).

Canon 70-200mm f/4L for $680 and Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS for $1150 are my recommendations for glass.
Except for the words about the 60D tilting screen (I find that very handy) and the 24-105 (24mm end is too tight for APS-C. The 18-55mm f2.8 is a better better match for the great 70-200) I agree and think this the best advice here.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:38 AM   #12
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
The 18-55mm f2.8 is a better better match for the great 70-200)
I believe you're talking about the 17-55:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

The only Canon 18-55 is the budget kit lens.

~Carl Becker
Old 06-22-2011, 03:45 AM   #13
Joe the Photog

You won't go wrong with the T3i or 60D, but the 6D feels a lot better and studier in my hands than the T2i I test drove did.

I'd probably point anyone toward one of the two bigger camera companies and obviously I would suggest Canon. There is a reason why most people use either Canon or Nikon.
Old 06-22-2011, 03:49 AM   #14
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'd probably point anyone toward one of the two bigger camera companies and obviously I would suggest Canon. There is a reason why most people use either Canon or Nikon.
Joe,

Not against Canon or Nikon at all, but the competition is on nowadays and Canon and Nikon represent just a few of the many options on the market. In fact, if any companies could be considered to be stuck in a rut, it would probably be these two - virtually every other company has designed a mirrorless or SLT system (Pentax is currently developing one). No announcement of this intention from either Canon or Nikon yet.

~Carl Becker
Old 06-22-2011, 04:59 AM   #15
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker View Post
Joe,

Not against Canon or Nikon at all, but the competition is on nowadays and Canon and Nikon represent just a few of the many options on the market. In fact, if any companies could be considered to be stuck in a rut, it would probably be these two - virtually every other company has designed a mirrorless or SLT system (Pentax is currently developing one). No announcement of this intention from either Canon or Nikon yet.

~Carl Becker
Canon and Nikon are the leaders for many reasons. The main advantage in sticking with them is more about the the critical mass the two companies have achieved allowing great products, great selection, great service, great resale value, and interchangeability. (Just try borrowing a Pentax or Sony lens on a photo line)

Sony, Sigma, Pentax and Panasonic in order to be noticed do all sorts of things to get noticed. And if you are an iconoclastic photographer and want to go your own way, why not? it's a free country; have fun.

But you will not regret being Canon or Nikon.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 06-22-2011, 05:01 AM   #16
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
I believe you're talking about the 17-55:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...ns-Review.aspx

The only Canon 18-55 is the budget kit lens.

~Carl Becker
You are right Carl.

I have a mental block with that one and always screw that up.

17-55mm f2.8 is correct of course.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 06-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #17
Freericks
Met Fan

The Canon 18-55 kit lens doesn't even make a decent doorstop. Too light.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 05:46 AM   #18
Dennis A. Livesey

Agreed. The 18-55 at best, in bright sun at a f8 is only OK.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 06-22-2011, 06:22 AM   #19
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Lenses.
Thank you.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:25 AM   #20
capwell

Send a message via AIM to capwell

my 2, coming from a guy who worked in independent camera retail for four years - go to a camera store and get ALL of this stuff into your hands before you make a decision. heck, you could even go that extra mile and buy locally once you've made up your mind about what body or lens combination works best for you. you might end up paying that dreaded sales tax, but you'll be able to take the thing back with any questions, concerns or warranty issues and deal with a real person.

i probably chase faster than you.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=695
capwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 03:04 PM   #21
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
The Canon 18-55 kit lens doesn't even make a decent doorstop. Too light.
Agreed.

Final resting place for a kit lens by Joseph C. Hinson, on Flickr

Taken the day I got the Sigma 17 to 70.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:20 PM   #22
trainboysd40

Send a message via MSN to trainboysd40

Don't put down the 18-55 IS so hard! It's actually really sharp...past F/8.
Obligatory link to shots on RP, HERE
trainboysd40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 PM   #23
jnohallman

The sharpest part of the 18-55 is the glass once you've dropped it on a concrete sidewalk . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:25 AM   #24
khalucha

Quote:
In response to Jim's comment, this is an example of what you can get from other systems.

If you went with Sony, you can get a translucent model for as low as $600, a Zeiss kit lens for $750, and a G series telephoto for $850. Noticeably less than a T2i/T3i and Canon L glass. Plus you get the advantage of fast live view focus and the subsequent benefits in movie mode.

Note that the A35 (the brand new one I linked to) does not have the tilt screen; if you want that upgrade to the A55 (the A33 also has it but has an older sensor).

~Carl Becker
Canon 70-200 F/4 non IS is $674 at B&H. You loose 100 mm but you gain the constant F stop.

On a side note, I look at things this way. Every camera has it's "pro's" and "con's". Get what you think is best for you. As for canon and nikon, they are the leaders in the camera industry in my opinion.

Webshot Photos

flickr stuff
khalucha is offline   Reply With Quote