Old 10-01-2003, 05:19 PM   #26
oltmannd

As they used to say, "Different strokes for different folks."

Everybody has a different idea of what makes a "perfect" picture. There are some who ONLY like perfectly lit, roster shots. A train picture is usually too "head-on" for their tastes and they ONLY like locomotives.

There are some who ONLY like 3/4 wedge shots - every other shot has flawed geometry (I suppose).

There are some prefer a train posed in great scenery vs. those who just want to see the train.

There are some who like the "Jim Boyd" train-in-context kind of shot vs. those who think it's all too cluttered.

There are some who like photos that include RR workers vs. "just the equipment, please" types.

There are some for whom the subject alone brings back fond memories even if is cloudy and underexposed.

Then there are some who draw the line at Trolleys or commuter rail, or passenger, or North America or the US or or East vs. West or some combination of the above.

What I was trying to do was to start a converstation about these things by voicing my opinion, not impung the judgement of the screeners. This is, after all, their web site and they get to make the rules and apply their own judgement (like they could apply someone else's judgment?).

-Don
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2003, 05:25 PM   #27
Trainman51

Send a message via ICQ to Trainman51 Send a message via AIM to Trainman51 Send a message via MSN to Trainman51 Send a message via Yahoo to Trainman51

I am like ken when it comes to comparing to what has been uploaded (Hi-Rail) and anyways why can't anything railrealated like that bridge be accepted because i know som modelers not photographers but modelers and i have told them abouth the site and some use the photos to help model a certin pice of the railroad.
Trainman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 12:31 AM   #28
Lord Vader

Personally I think the picture is great, but what makes it so is not the train, but rather the man waving on the right. It adds character.

That is the sort of thing I am partial to. It's not so much about equipment for me, as it is location and the human element. I have not been able to upload as much of my preferred type of photos due to they often being committed to other venues. But I plan on eventually getting them on here.
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:29 AM   #29
iCe

Send a message via MSN to iCe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Carr aka Duke54
I know I was sort of involved in the begining of this thread since I didn't understand the number of rejections at one time that I was receving. Nor did I feel that the screeners were being fair. To some extent I believe that is still true, I base that on some of the photos accepted in comparion of my own photos like how can a picture of a hi-rail be rejected since it not rail related (the reason) and the next set of accepted photos are four hi rail of poor quality are accepted. Better yet a picture of a small engine shop is accepted with so so much clutter in the forground you can barely make out the train in the background, it is not rail related to my thought process and is true a bad motive. Regardless of these comments this is the best site on line to share our photos it's not perfect but it beats the rest. I like to see a basic list of definitions of bad motives etc and we go from there. Even now I'm still learning hoping to improve my photos. That what this is about capturing ideas, learning more about my hobby trains/railfaning.
So may I suggest we close out this thread, Chris knows what we want and is working towards some of those goals. Curtis has been a very helpful screener going out of his way to answer our questions. Let's leave it at that....
could you post some examples? that would help

http://members.rogers.com/will2004/Banner.jpg</A>
iCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2003, 01:37 AM   #30
iCe

Send a message via MSN to iCe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oltmannd
As they used to say, "Different strokes for different folks."

Everybody has a different idea of what makes a "perfect" picture. There are some who ONLY like perfectly lit, roster shots. A train picture is usually too "head-on" for their tastes and they ONLY like locomotives.

There are some who ONLY like 3/4 wedge shots - every other shot has flawed geometry (I suppose).

There are some prefer a train posed in great scenery vs. those who just want to see the train.

There are some who like the "Jim Boyd" train-in-context kind of shot vs. those who think it's all too cluttered.

There are some who like photos that include RR workers vs. "just the equipment, please" types.

There are some for whom the subject alone brings back fond memories even if is cloudy and underexposed.

Then there are some who draw the line at Trolleys or commuter rail, or passenger, or North America or the US or or East vs. West or some combination of the above.

What I was trying to do was to start a converstation about these things by voicing my opinion, not impung the judgement of the screeners. This is, after all, their web site and they get to make the rules and apply their own judgement (like they could apply someone else's judgment?).

-Don
I agree 100%

While I too, have preferences for these things, I also respect other people's likes and dislikes. Sometimes, I also experiment to see what it is about it that these people like.

For example, I used to only like European passenger trains. Simply because I lived in Europe for a long time and I rode them countless times. I found them sleek and modern, and just awesome to look at.

When I moved to Canada, I was shocked by these trains... They are so big and bulky, without aerodynamics, and are DIESEL POWERED!!!

Slowly, but surely, I got used to the Canadian passenger trains, and now I find them just as, if not more, attractive than European trains.

But I didn't like the freight trains. I really didn't like them. I didn't like their mismatched cargo, their "rough" engines, or any other part of them. But one day, I just went to shoot some freight photos, to see why people liked them so much. Guess what, now I like them just as much as passenger trains.

The point is, you don't have to like everything the other photographers like. But respect their preferences and maybe give it a try. Who knows, you might just like it!

http://members.rogers.com/will2004/Banner.jpg</A>
iCe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 07:42 AM   #31
busyEMT

I am surprised that guy is waving with all 5 fingers! I mean, his house is 40 feet away from a crossing - when is the last time he got a good night sleep?

At any rate, I must have had every reason for rejection so far. Not that I like rejection, but at least we get explanations.
busyEMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 06:06 PM   #32
S.C. Vermillion

Being that Chris Starnes owns the site he has every right to reject a photo. I myself have had a few photo's rejected but do I get mad no. Why, because its not everyday that that someone like Chris opens his site to other people to display their railroad photography. Befor railpictures.net what was there, not much at all. I myself would just like to thank Chris for offering a web-site like this.

Shawn
S.C. Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2003, 06:26 PM   #33
Curtis Wininger

Send a message via ICQ to Curtis Wininger Send a message via AIM to Curtis Wininger Send a message via MSN to Curtis Wininger

Chris Starnes *and* Chris Kilroy
Curtis Wininger is offline   Reply With Quote