Old 05-29-2012, 12:30 PM   #151
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHapsias View Post
Incase the image can't be viewed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Chadderson View Post
Nice. Someone disagrees with the way a small few are trashing the NS photos and you resort to ridicule and name calling.

For those few that have been missing the jealousy comments, the post quoted above slides into that catagory.

The definition - jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself. (That would include all the incessant whining in a continuing thread.)
Someone who invokes a definition needs to be quite sure they use it correctly. That person should, for example, clarify the distinction between resentment and criticism and explain how the situation better fits the former than the latter. They should also should explain how the definition fits in context, and here specifically in the cultural context of the forum, one of whose main themes, debated for years and years and to be redebated for more years and more years, is what RP's editorial standards should be.

And, truth be said, what those standards now are, because some days we really don't have a clue!

Chad, ultimately my objection to your posts is not so much the criticism they make, which may be correct or incorrect and we can debate and resolve or agree to disagree, but that you do it in such a sloppy manner. And with such passion, a passion that has caused you to break from your lurker status and chime in (and welcome!), you really should have done much better.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:51 PM   #152
IHapsias

Quote:
Nice. Someone disagrees with the way a small few are trashing the NS photos and you resort to ridicule and name calling.

For those few that have been missing the jealousy comments, the post quoted above slides into that catagory.

The definition - jealous resentment against a rival, a person enjoying success or advantage, etc., or against another's success or advantage itself. (That would include all the incessant whining in a continuing thread.)

Please enjoy the following clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eI2fi...feature=fvwrel

Have an EPIC day,

Chad
I still don't think you understand the term sarcasm

May I kindly direct you here:

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/RPnetTruth/
Old 05-29-2012, 03:25 PM   #153
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb Response

Quote:
If you would be so kind as to reference the acquisition of Progress Rail by the Norfolk Southern Corporation, I would then be happy to defer to your knowledge he is "employed by the property owner".
So you apparently have quite a bit of knowledge about the relationship between the photographer and the land owner.

With that in mind, are you still going with the argument that the photographer was a a member of the general rail fanning public or a trespasser?

Also, for you to assert the land owner didn't have a weed wacker, or some other vegetation removing instrument present on the property assumes some additional knowledge of the shop and their equipment inventory that the rest of us are not privy to.

Quote:
A thread titled "Heritage Quality?". A thread that appears to have been started in fun after the lengthy NS/Casey bashing thread about the GE Heritage units was closed.
As you will find, the name of the thread often times has nothing to do with the direction of the discussion.

Further, a review of the last thread will show you that there were some other issues at play (for instance, the "Troy" issue) that are not at issue here.

Quote:
This new thread has drawn out more of the "I can do it better" crowd and the "My shot wasn't accepted, and his was" whiners.
If you are implying that "I" can do it better by wacking the weeds, or picking up the trash - then correct, I would have done those small things and so would have/does Jim.

It takes very little time to prep a spot which is why some of us are shaking our heads.

Further, for you to compare my 3751 pictures to the NS photos is for the most part an apples to oranges comparison because I don't control most of the variables.

All I have control over is the camera settings and most of the time where I stand.

I cannot pick the time of day, I cannot add extra light, and/or change the light and most of all, with regard to the Needles Subdivision, Federal law prohibits the removal of vegetation and/or the destruction of plant material.

When one sets up a photo shoot, the situation is completely different because the photographer at that point controls most of the variables.

Quote:
The nitpicking about why a shot should not be allowed because another photographer has chosen to apply his/her own standard to RailPictures.net. Since you asked the question, and not to be mean, I'll use your own photo submissions as the examples.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=398328

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=398429

I personally like both shots and its nice to see them in the database. However, lets apply the "standards" you wish to trot out to exclude the NS news worthy photos from the site.
I don't think any of the "regulars" on this Site hold any illusions as to why the NS photos are in the DB.

I do think some of us (me included) were initially shocked as to the look of NS photos, but as to the issue of whether they would appear on the Site, I don't think that was ever in doubt.

As you know, the owners of the Site can do whatever they want and the commercial benefits of having the NS shots in the DB are patently obvious, so at this point I think it is an argument involving a dead horse.

Quote:
Both of your images are "high sun" and would generally be rejected.
You can make that argument, and since you are being civil I will respond as follows:

Both shots are taken from the same spot and were taken less than 15 seconds a part.

The first one was uploaded two days before the second.

Had I spent more time looking at the raw files, I would have chose the second one over the first to upload, but that is not how it worked out.

Additionally, the two are sufficiently different to stand on their own because the views of the cars are different and the backgrounds are framed differently - and yes, that can be argued either way.

But if you are a Rio Grande car fan, that car is viewable in only one of the two images.

As to the issue of high sun, as you know that is a rather subjective argument and it is refuted in this instance by the fact that the drivers and the gear on the bottom of the trucks are fully visible from the angle in the photo.

Sure, I would prefer this:

Glowing Drivers

But you take what you get.

Moreover, the screeners do reject images for high sun, even on 3751, such as:

AT&SF 3751 Takes the Turn at Summit

No one gets a free pass just because the unit is unique.

Additionally, this was the first time in 20 years that one could photograph 3751 out in the Mojave, and I don't dispute that fact was not taken into consideration.

Quote:
It can also be argued at this point ATSF 3751 is "common power" since it is featured in 315 photos, as of this writing.
If 315 is what it takes to become "common power," then I think a number of units fit that description and now should be rejected on that basis.

Problem with that assertion is that clearly a certain number of photos in the DB is not what constitutes common power.

You have got a slippery slope argument here, which makes it open to perpetual debate.

Quote:
The SD70ACe Heritage units in Mr. Thomason's photos have been featured, at most, 3 or 4 times.
That will change over time.

In four years there will be hundreds of images of these units.

Remember, "I" personally have been photographing 3751 for more than four years, and my submissions to the DB span that period of time.

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 288951
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

Image © EL ROCO Photography
PhotoID: 395867
Photograph © EL ROCO Photography

Quote:
The second image should have also been rejected as "Similar to previously posted photo". Same speed limit sign, you just zoomed in a lilttle more.
I would agree.

My only explanation is that they were submitted two days a part and if one were to go back through someone's pictures, it is inevitable that you will find similarities.

Quote:
Have I answered your questions sufficiently?
No, please explain this statement - "[t]he sheer jealousy that has reared it ugly head proves this isn't an enjoyable hobby for most."

Further, please state (if you can) who is allegedly jealous and about what.

Quote:
Have an EPIC day!!!
Thnak you.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 05-29-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #154
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb What Voldemort thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rule, Jr. View Post
DV must be rolling over laughing out loud at us.
No, this thread is not even on his radar - he has completely missed it for the most part.

Voldemort is still spending most of his time bitching about the poles in people's photos and about how the Web Site should be run.

Perhaps he is the one that needs to get drunk and get laid.

Last edited by Holloran Grade; 05-29-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #155
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumForce View Post
Telling Jim to get drunk and get laid? His girlfriend is smoking hot and he has impeccable taste in beer, 'nuf said.

Personally the fact that these NS photos are professional work holds them to a far higher standard and one that I feel they fall short of. Thegevo pictures were all taken on NS property so is was employed by the landowner with them.

The guy is a good photog but he is also being paid to do this job some of the stuff is honestly sloppy stuff that would make any other professional photographer either lose work or outright lose there job. As photography is Jim's livelihood I believe his opinion is extremely valid.
Casey's job is a bit more than just taking a few photographs of the heritage locomotives.... The job he's in is not "company photographer". NS could care less about the opinion of railfan photographer whacko fringe with the "oh-so-delicate" palate (mixed metaphor - sue me!). They just want a shot that 90% of the "meat and potatoes" railfan folk who look at their facebook page will react "that's cool!" Have they done that? See for yourself.

They also don't care a wit about what's "wrong" with the NS calendar shots they select each year.

Just the fact that any of us posts here makes us a member of the railfan photographer whacko fringe. Some of my favorite people fall in this category, though!

Just don't ever pretend that it's normal....it's not even close.
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:48 AM   #156
MagnumForce

Railfanning is not normal.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #157
Joe the Photog

Screw normal.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #158
Dennis A. Livesey

What's normal?

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:25 PM   #159
Mr. Pick

"Abby someone, Abby Normal, I believe...."
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #160
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
What's normal?
Last I checked, it's a town in Illinois . . .

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:15 AM   #161
Mark Rosnick

Quote:
What's normal?
Let's be real...are any of us 'normal'. We chase trains & can tell a GP38-2 from a GP40-2, so like I said...are any of us 'normal'.
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:27 AM   #162
Joe the Photog

Quote:
What's normal?
Who cares? Screw it.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:35 AM   #163
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Rosnick View Post
Let's be real...are any of us 'normal'. We chase trains & can tell a GP38-2 from a GP40-2
I can't tell a GP38-2 from a GP40-2...

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #164
Joe the Photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post

/Mitch
I can. They're different numbers.

Old 05-31-2012, 01:00 AM   #165
JRMDC

In my formative years GP-38 and GP-40 were prevalent engine types, so I can tell them apart, and their -2 equivalents, since the principle is the same. These days, I certainly cannot tell apart any current GE model, AC, DC, 40, 44, GEVO, whatever. Probably because it just doesn't matter.

Of course, there aren't nearly so many models these days.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:24 AM   #166
CSX1702

Quote:
Let's be real...are any of us 'normal'. We chase trains & can tell a GP38-2 from a GP40-2, so like I said...are any of us 'normal'.
Don't ever tell your girlfriend the difference, by the way.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:28 AM   #167
CN Railfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post

/Mitch
What's a GP38-2?
CN Railfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:32 AM   #168
JimThias

Quote:
Let's be real...are any of us 'normal'. We chase trains & can tell a GP38-2 from a GP40-2...
I can't. So...that must mean...I'M NORMAL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Sounds like someone made that mistake.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias

Last edited by JimThias; 05-31-2012 at 01:34 AM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:42 AM   #169
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post

Sounds like someone made that mistake.

Luckily I didn't scare her away

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 05-31-2012, 02:15 AM   #170
Freericks
Met Fan

I can tell a GP38-2 from a GP38 from a GP40-2 from a GP40 from a GP39-2 on the fly.

Have no idea what that ability gets me, however.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:21 AM   #171
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN Railfan View Post
What's a GP38-2?
Touché!

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:09 PM   #172
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
I can tell a GP38-2 from a GP38 from a GP40-2 from a GP40 from a GP39-2 on the fly.

The Train Geek of the Week award?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 07:54 PM   #173
oltmannd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post

Properly labeled slides. But, what does THAT get you....
oltmannd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 11:19 PM   #174
Mark Rosnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
After 31 years of marriage, she's kinda figured out I'm not 'normal'.
Mark Rosnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #175
CSX1702

Quote:
After 31 years of marriage, she's kinda figured out I'm not 'normal'.
Looks like you're the lucky one here.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album