Old 07-02-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
crazytiger

Default Railfanning yesterday in Clemson

Yesterday, I got up dark and early and rode my bike into Clemson for a few hours of shooting trains. I went to one of my favorite railfanning locations, which is for the most part “out of service” due to sun angles, but still good for night shots, to shoot the morning’s Crescent. Unfortunately, at this spot, if the lake is up too high, you can literally end up in deep water. Well, today it was high so I could not get a clear shot. With it running on time, I had about ten minutes to prepare. Instead, I tried to creatively include some branches. If you know the numbers of the engines, I’d love to know. Actually, two minutes late, the train streaks across the Seneca River Trestle.

http://picasaweb.google.com/crazytig...03317825283330

After that, I figured I could bike the mile to the station area before a train came, so I packed up quickly and left. As I came to where I could almost see the signal, I was slightly bummed, because, what do you know, I saw a triangle of lights, making up a northbound intermodal highball through Clemson. I then decided to head north to a boat landing that my siblings told me I could see the trestle from. I found a walking trail and then a place near the lake that I could shoot the trestle. Unfortunately, it was on the verge of too hazy to shoot from this far away (almost a mile). I set up my shot and then read How I Raised Myself From Failure to Success in Selling by Frank Bettger (a very inspiring book) for a while. A southbound intermodal went through, which I shot, but due to the haze, the pictures were extremely subpar. After a good while, another southbound intermodal traveled through. A UP GEVO, adding a lot more interest to the train, led this one.

http://picasaweb.google.com/crazytig...03360676724770

I continued waiting for some time before I decided to go back into Clemson and see if I could put together a shot I had wanted to do. The desired shot would have been a telephoto mash including the stretch of track leading down to the bridge and all, however, this shot turned out to be clearly unfeasible. So I rode up the road to go home, all the while I was watching the signal. And as I watched, the Approach Diverging changed to Clear. So, I decided to stick around. I waited about thirty minutes before I heard the horn. The partly cloudy sky given me today donated a cloud, which wouldn’t move. Then, adding to the stakes lost, I watched as a trio of UP engines led an intermodal on its way north. I got these shots, which would probably be on RailPictures now if it weren’t for a stupid cloud.

http://picasaweb.google.com/crazytig...03341027029330
http://picasaweb.google.com/crazytig...03351350605650

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 11:01 AM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

The last shot of the UP power with some work would get in, It came out nice. Your longer lens shots need work as there soft, From what I don't know but camera shake is most likely. I can't hold a camera still for the life of me so its on a tripod or the IS is on. You had fun and there shots you can do over till you get them right so in time you will.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
crazytiger

How would that shot get in? As mentioned earlier, I see a Cloudy/Common coming. As for a camera shake. I shot this on a tripod with a remote. I wasn't touching the camera.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II

Quote:
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
Old 07-10-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
lost bouy

The last UP intermodal shot is nice, just a little cropping off on the bottom to get the train in the middle of the frame.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
crazytiger

Hello all,
More Clemson railfanning! On Saturday, I was able to get a considerable amount of railfanning in. I got up before the sun to shoot the morning's Amtrak in my typical fashion. I caught it roaring under the signal bridge at CP Rowland in Central, SC only four minutes off the advertised. The exposure was 2'05" long and probably my best streak yet. The leader on the train was AMTK 167 but I was unable to catch the trailing units number, so as usual I'd love to get it if you know it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazytiger/4968525466/

I waited and before too long another southbound was lined up. I caught it, lead by NS 9505, racing under the bridge in, basically, a more lit version of the above.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazytiger/4967919083/

I rode my bike to a nearby crossing and got a few rail shots (this one was the best).

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

As I was about to leave, because I had to be home soon, what do you know, but a cop pulled up. He just asked me the usual and so I showed my shot of the Amtrak on my camera and he's like "Cool!!!" It was pretty funny. So, then I went home, only to find out that two well-lit northbounds had come through right after I left with a Soo unit trailing on one of them. Oh, well. I made it back trackside at about 4:00 to enjoy some trains while listening to the Clemson game. 45 minutes later this southbound showed up making for my 7th shot on RailPictures.

Image ©
PhotoID:
Photograph ©

Then after waiting a while, a northbound came along, which I botched and then another northbound which I wanted to pan, but I couldn't from the southside of the tracks, where I was. Another northbound was lined up, so I figured I'd do a glint shot. While waiting, I got this shot of the rail, which actually turned out very well.

Image © Peter Lewis
PhotoID: 336972
Photograph © Peter Lewis

Then the train came and I got the shot I wanted but it didn't exactly attain to what I had hoped.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/crazytiger/4961475684/

It was a good day and Clemson won, too! I enjoyed it. Hope you did, too.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II

Quote:

Last edited by crazytiger; 09-24-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:49 PM   #6
barnstormer

Send a message via Skype™ to barnstormer

You got a couple of nice shots! Congrats on two more in the db.

OSU stomped Washington State 65 to 17 yeh!!!

See my shots on Railpictures
See my shots on RRpicturearchives
barnstormer is offline   Reply With Quote