Old 10-12-2013, 04:16 PM   #1
CSX1702

Default Raw Files

So, right now I'm using GIMP. And I'm shooting JPEGs. I tried to open a raw picture I took in Gimp and it wouldn't open. I think there are plugins in for that though.

My question is, can you edit raw pics in Photoshop right away? I can't afford Photoshop at the moment but I would like to get it before too long.

Another question: is shooting raw that much better? Or would it make a huge difference?

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
CSX1702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 06:12 PM   #2
Oskar

I think there's a plugin called UFRaw for GIMP, but I don't know which brand of cameras it reads. I guess Nikon's NEF are covered, but I'm not sure about Canon. I use GIMP to resize and crop JPEG's, not to edit though.

In Photoshop you need Camera Raw, but I can't tell you more because I don't use PS, Nikon's ViewNX is godd enough for me.

RAW does make a huge difference indeed; in RAW you have no compression and a lot more information to work, one difference is you have at least 12 colour channels in RAW instead of just 8 of JPEG's RGB mode.

Last edited by Oskar; 10-12-2013 at 08:02 PM.
Oskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #3
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oskar View Post
I think there's a plugin called UFRaw for GIMP, but I don't know which brand of cameras it reads. I guess Nikon's NEF are covered, but I'm not sure about Canon. I use GIMP to resize and crop JPEG's, not to edit though.

In Photoshop you need Camera Raw, but I can't tell you more because I don't use PS, Nikon's ViewNX is godd enough for me.

RAW does make a huge difference indeed; in RAW you have no compression and a lot more information to work, one difference is you have at least 12 colour channels in RAW instead of just 8 of JPEG's RGB mode.
Yeah. I have a Nikon. If it makes that big of a difference then I'll definitely start trying to use it.

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
JRMDC

AFAIK all versions of PS come with Adobe Camera Raw built in, even PSE.

The only thing you have to watch out for, in the long run, is that after a year or two Adobe stops releasing Camera Raw updates for older PS, so if you get a new body you might have to buy a new version of PS also. For example, my PSE 9 will convert raw files from my 50D but if I were to upgrade to a 60D (mighty cheap right now!) I would also have to spend $$ for a newer version of PSE (not to mention new batteries and new cards). (Oops, mentioned!)

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 03:17 AM   #5
CSX1702

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
For example, my PSE 9 will convert raw files from my 50D but if I were to upgrade to a 60D (mighty cheap right now!) I would also have to spend $$ for a newer version of PSE (not to mention new batteries and new cards). (Oops, mentioned!)
Sounds to me like just another way to get more money from us....

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #6
Ween

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSX1702 View Post
Sounds to me like just another way to get more money from us....
It is. Or you could switch to Adobe's DNG file and use that. They've been trying to make that the standard RAW file for years now...but no one's going along with it. I've used it in the past between software updates, but it's just an unnecessary extra step...
Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Oskar

Quote:
Yeah. I have a Nikon. If it makes that big of a difference then I'll definitely start trying to use it.
I just assumed you had a Canon like 90% of north american users here. I have a D3100 too, I encourage you to get ViewNX to edit your raws. I'm pretty sure you can even get it for free from Nikon's web.
Oskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
JRMDC

Many people believe that shooting raw is preferable because of the extra latitude it allows for exposure mistakes because there is scope for correction in raw conversion. Some say maybe a stop of exposure. For example, I guess I am not the most accurate shooter - translation: I'm sloppy, too often! - and I use the Recover tool a lot to deal with overexposed highlights. I think raw is invaluable.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-16-2013, 03:19 AM   #9
KevinM

Assuming that you shoot scenes that don't exceed the dynamic range of your camera, AND you always nail the exposure, JPEG can be just fine. It's when you shoot a scene with really challenging lighting, or when you blow the exposure big-time that raw really has major advantages.

As for software, I like Lightroom. Lightroom not only does non-destructive editing, like most raw programs, but it also doesn't force you to SAVE anything. You can back-track at any time and you can keep coming back to the same image and messing with it without ever doing a SAVE. That's because Lightroom doesn't actually execute ANY of your edits until you export the file to some other format. Although I imagine that layers have their advantages, Lightroom does not use them. Instead, selective editing is done with an Adjustment Brush, which you can edit or delete at any time. Without the layers, the files are smaller.

Watch for deals on Lightroom from B&H. The program can be had for a lot less than list.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #10
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
The only thing you have to watch out for, in the long run, is that after a year or two Adobe stops releasing Camera Raw updates for older PS, so if you get a new body you might have to buy a new version of PS also. For example, my PSE 9 will convert raw files from my 50D but if I were to upgrade to a 60D (mighty cheap right now!) I would also have to spend $$ for a newer version of PSE (not to mention new batteries and new cards). (Oops, mentioned!)
Hmmm...I've been using the same program to convert raw files to jpg from my first Rebel XT purchase in 2005 to my 5D in 2008 and to my 60D two years ago (and more recently my second 60D this past spring).
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
CSX1702

So, I'm not familiar with Lightroom. Is it a full blown editing program like Photoshop?

Flickr

Out Of Place Album
Old 10-17-2013, 02:32 AM   #12
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Hmmm...I've been using the same program to convert raw files to jpg from my first Rebel XT purchase in 2005 to my 5D in 2008 and to my 60D two years ago (and more recently my second 60D this past spring).
Name that program, Jim! An odd omission from your post.

I started off with PSE3 and a digital rebel (well, actually, I think it was the canon A60 digicam first). Bummer that it does not support the 50D, but on the other hand I do like a number of features in PSE9 that weren't in 3, like Recovery and Vibrance.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-17-2013, 02:44 AM   #13
JimThias

Canon's DPP. I only use it to convert the raw files to jpegs before editing the jpegs in Photoshop. That is the way I've always done it. I only edit jpeg files and keep the raws as my "negative" backups.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #14
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Canon's DPP. I only use it to convert the raw files to jpegs before editing the jpegs in Photoshop. That is the way I've always done it. I only edit jpeg files and keep the raws as my "negative" backups.
Thanks. But that is actually analogous to PSE, but for the price. In other words, there was a DPP 1, and now there is a DPP 3.11, I think, and if you load the DPP 1 onto your computer you can't process raw from your 60D. So it's the same program in name only. The only difference is that Adobe chooses to charge, so one has anything to complain about with the software upgrades.

I am curious as to what a company like Canon is adding to raw over time, if anything, in terms of things that might, say, require more data to be stored in the raw file, that would be unreadable by older software. Anyone know?

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 10-17-2013, 02:55 AM   #15
JimThias

I can still open raw files from my 60D in older versions of DPP (which I have on two older computers). You just have to know the way around it. (I have a Mac as well, so that might make a difference)

But anyhow, DPP comes "free" with every camera, so there's really nothing you have to buy to make raw files compatible. As long as I can use DPP to convert raw files to jpeg, I'm good to go.

Last edited by JimThias; 10-17-2013 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:08 AM   #16
jdirelan87

Quote:
At least for CS3 and 4, you needed to download a patch from Adobe to read NEFs (Nikon's RAW format). Takes about five steps and two minutes to do, then you'll never have to do it again.
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote