Old 08-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
ShortlinesUSA

Default Coal dying a slow death on the RJ Corman PA Lines?

Amfire's coal loadout in Clymer, PA closed on 7/31/14, even though they are seeking a buyer. I doubt prospects for that are very good in the current climate.

I have also been informed the coal shuttle running between Cherry Tree and Bigler, PA is no longer operating.

This leaves no present traffic on the RJCP west of Mahaffey, PA. This is roughly 50 route miles now void of traffic, including the impressive loop at Fleming Summit, PA.

I made a trip to Cherry Tree on October 21, 2014 expecting to chase the coal shuttle, which did not run. In a very fortunately twist events, Clymer was loading, and that equates to two eastbound loads from Clymer, because they split the 100 car train into two parts to safely negotiate the loop at Fleming.

Here is one of my shots from that day. I hate to see more American jobs lost, and it is a sobering thought trains passing this location may be a distant memory:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=472985&nseq=0

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:59 AM   #2
JimThias

Thanks, Obama.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Thanks, Obama.
Not really accurate...

While his administration has definitely taken an anti-coal stance, do a little research on power plant emissions regs. Most of them were created in the late 80's, and phased in over a period of 20-30 years. Most utilities just did nothing to prepare for it. Some serious emissions regs were passed as late as GW Bush's last term, so it's unfair to blame Obama (solely) for this.

Most of the power plants shutting down were built in the 30's through 70's and have zero emissions controls.

I thoroughly love the pro-coal people talk bullshit about how coal is so great, and how we dont need the EPA.

Take a look at air quality in China, Russia and most of the 3rd world. Is that what you want?

Coal can work if you put the emissions controls in place (scrubbers, etc), but the utilities dont want to because of the cost. They want to pollute and pad their pockets in the process.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 02:07 AM   #4
JimThias

Did you really spend the time typing all that up because of my post, or did you have it ready to copy and paste just in case?

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 08-09-2014, 04:55 AM   #5
SantaFebuff

Send a message via Yahoo to SantaFebuff Send a message via Skype™ to SantaFebuff

Talk about emission control, I'm running on nuclear generated power here.

Only emission control is when the NRC has to come out with their citation books for the plants.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #6
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Did you really spend the time typing all that up because of my post, or did you have it ready to copy and paste just in case?
Took all of about 45 seconds. I have posted similar stuff to yahoo groups before. There's lots of people on there who bash Obama and cant even spell coal.

I'm not an Obama defender, I just like to breathe clean air. If the utilities want to use it, they can install the pollution controls they need to.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:13 AM   #7
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Took all of about 45 seconds. I have posted similar stuff to yahoo groups before. There's lots of people on there who bash Obama and cant even spell coal.

I'm not an Obama defender, I just like to breathe clean air. If the utilities want to use it, they can install the pollution controls they need to.
It was just the cliche "Thanks, Obama" post. You know, you can blame him for everything...like this cold summer we're having, or the my pizza arriving cold, or whatever.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:29 PM   #8
ShortlinesUSA

Clymer loadout is reactivated, and after a hiatus of about 6 months, the first loaded trains were run from Clymer to Clearfield, PA on 2/27/15.

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:13 PM   #9
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortlinesUSA View Post
Clymer loadout is reactivated, and after a hiatus of about 6 months, the first loaded trains were run from Clymer to Clearfield, PA on 2/27/15.
#thanksObama

Or not? It's so confusing these days!