Old 01-28-2007, 09:59 PM   #1
Ween

Default Tehachapi Trip

This past week, my job had me travel to sunny (and warm, despite their forecasters warning of water pipes freezing under the 'extreme' cold temperatures of 27F!) southern California for a week. I made this same trip last January, but didn't take any photos as my camera and lens were with Canon getting calibrated. This year though was a different story. I just needed at least one day off to make the 45-50 minute drive to the Tehachapi Loop.

But, before I even got on the ground in CA, the job had me turning left alot in the sky with The Loop at the southern end of my 'office:'
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 173052
Photograph © Chris Paulhamus

The next day was a day off, so I called up Enterprise, got a rental car, and headed for the mountains. I saw a couple of southbounds on the drive north from Lancaster, and two northbounds at Keene when I got off Hwy 58, so my hopes for the day were maxxed; I was expecting a ton of traffic. Turns out, it was a slow day at The Loop, but it was fun nonetheless.

As I explored the area, I wanted my first shot to be at Tunnel 10, on the south side of The Loop. It wasn't too long of a wait before the first southbound appeared, a JB Hunt doublestack:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 173054

Pretty quick start to the day, but the next train wouldn't show up until a hour and forty minutes later, a southbound manifest with all boxcars. This one I wanted to actually get on The Loop, so with all that time, I did quite a bit of hiking around the hills to get a decent, unobstructed shot:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 173059

(continued below)

Last edited by Ween; 01-28-2007 at 10:08 PM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:07 PM   #2
Ween

Not hearing anything on the scanner, I drove around looking for a new spot. Unfortunately, with all the private property in the area and the threat of UPRR police, I was pretty conservative, so I didn't really venture close in to The Loop. On the drive though, there was a Historical Marker overlooking The Loop that I snagged a shot of:

After another hour of waiting and not hearing anything, I was really starting to get hungry. I was just about to leave when I heard the DS say to some MoW folks that she had two southbounds coming and then nothing for quite some time. I figured I'd wait for those two and call it a day. So back to Tunnel 10 I went. First up was a manifest (sorry, the system's telling me I have too many thumbnails posted, so I'll just provide a link):
http://paulhamus.rrpicturearchives.n...aspx?id=637661

Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 173065

Thirteen minutes later, a TOFC train popped out of the tunnel:
Image © Chris Paulhamus
PhotoID: 173169

And that was that for my trip to The Loop. Pretty slow, but good at the same time. Lot's of time to walk around, but best of all: No UP!!!! Woooooo!!!!

Thanks for reading/looking...

Last edited by Ween; 01-28-2007 at 10:14 PM.
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 10:20 PM   #3
CG_F45

Great shots, awesome composition / quality...top notch work!

My photos at RailPictures.Net

Last edited by CG_F45; 01-28-2007 at 10:31 PM.
CG_F45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:26 AM   #4
Studogg120

Very Very nice Chris. Thanks for sharing those with us.
Studogg120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #5
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Great pictures and report Chris. I appreciate the fact that you also took a shot of the historical marker for us all to see as well.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 02:57 AM   #6
bnsf sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
but best of all: No UP!!!! Woooooo!!!!
Ha Ha Ha. Despite UP owning the railroad, BNSF uses the pass far more than UP. Nice shots Chris!