Old 06-15-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
norfolksouthern

Default Poor lighting (High Sun) and Obstructing Objects (Foreground Clutter)

I was trip to St.Denis, MD, Landowne, MD, Halethorpe, MD, Elkridge, MD and Seabrook, MD on last Saturday and Sunday so I really very enjoy and fun. I first for seen CSX SD80MAC in my life.

So my guess that RP will accepted with once of my photo but they was rejected our photo due high sun but sorry I was forget to change with ISO speed and shutter. Oops..

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=824419&key=0

- David
Old 06-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

Bad lighting as in the trains front isn't lit and brush in the way, Can't fix this one. Pick your spots for lighting. Sun is kind of high for some but not to bad yet.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:26 PM   #3
JimThias

Good scene, David...just a bad sun angle. Work on your timing as well. It appears that you CAN fit a locomotive between the two trees to avoid the obstructing rejection. Or you could try a little elevation like a step stool or ladder. That'll increase the space between the trees.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
DWHonan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Good scene, David...just a bad sun angle.
Agreed with Jim; the basic composition works. As a thought, perhaps next time you're in a spot with paired curves like that, see if you can set up a little to the left of the angle you created for this shot so that the curves overlap each other more and produce a "snake" effect in the train, similar to this:

Image © David Honan
PhotoID: 291981
Photograph © David Honan

As always, though, capturing the light is the key, and in general sunnt summer days the best light for photography occurs in the ~3 hours after sunrise and ~3 hours before sunset.
View my portfolio at Flickr Not quite so new anymore!
DWHonan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #5
JRMDC

Welcome to the area, David, hope you had a good time! I spend most of my time a bit to the west but I have been to most of those locations a number of times.

I hope some of your other shots turned out better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfolksouthern View Post
So my guess that RP will accepted with once of my photo but they was rejected our photo due high sun but sorry I was forget to change with ISO speed and shutter. Oops..:roll
As for your last sentence, high sun cannot be corrected with a different ISO and shutter speed. When there is high sun / harsh light about, one has to either find a composition that minimizes it or simply accept that shots from that time of day are not going to be RP-level.

J

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
KevinM

Hi David,

I agree with the other folks completely. Were it not for that tree, you'd have yourself a great spot here. Foreground clutter is definitely one of the things to think about whenever you're choosing a photo location. Before you spend any time waiting for trains, you have to ask yourself: "do I have a clean shot here?" If the answer is no and you can't fix it by moving around or bringing in a ladder, you need to keep looking.

As for the high sun....that's the bain of our existence this time of year. If your purpose is to put pictures on RP, you won't have a lot of luck anytime between about 9:30AM and 4:30PM. That's not to say you shouldn't try. I have posted high-sun shots here......but the odds are just not very good. Shoot from sunrise to 9:30AM, then after 4:30PM until sunset.

I'm not sure what your question was about ISO. As JRMDC indicated, high sun is not correctable by you. When the sun is high in the sky, the light is indirect and it just makes for mediocre pictures. As for ISO, I would just put your ISO setting on 200 and leave it there. Make sure that any feature on your camera which can automatically set the ISO is disabled. If you're shooting on sunny days, ISO 200 will work fine most of the time. Then, select your aperture and shutter speed according to the light you have. Use 1/250th as your minimum shutter speed....preferably higher. When you have a really good camera....and you do....the temptation is to let the camera do the thinking. While it will usually do pretty well, you can easily train yourself to do better than it can do.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.

Last edited by KevinM; 06-15-2010 at 02:49 PM.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #7
Dennis A. Livesey

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
you can easily train yourself to do better than it can do.
Amen to that!

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
norfolksouthern

milwman; Yeah can't fixed with my photo because trees bit front of me and, high sun. Cause a obstructing fitter...

JimThias; Thanks, I like see to find any good spots and scene but I stuck with obstructing due trees bit show up in our photo. Thanks for info so next time I try find any good spots and scene without front trees like obstructing or etc. Good idea that I should take ladder or something else.

DWHonan; Yeah I really like to see train in snake on curve make more perfect plus with sun but I bit mistake because my friend was fixed with my camera so he was change my ISO went to auto from manual so somehow.

JRMDC; Thanks! I was does very enjoy and fun for trip to Maryland that where I hometown of Maryland. I see a lot many CSX trains runs there between Baltimore, Washington DC, and somewhere. Nice to see you have spend goes went to west! How you seen there?

Yeah, but I was do work with my 50D but my friend was take my 50D and he fix my 50D so he was change to ISO auto from manual so somehow my photos bit bright and something. I don't like to use with ISO or shutter with auto. I like manual only like more of balance belong with sun and etc.

KevinM; 9:30am to 4:30pm haven't for success? Wow I didn't know that! Thank you for information.

Okay, I should tell you realized when I was head to trip to Maryland. Then my friend was took my 50D, he was change balance with ISO went to automatically from manual so somehow my photos pretty few backbit, bright, etc...actually I don't like it. Okay I will do set with my 50D! Thank you for help, Kevin!

Not my fault...actually my friend did to my 50D. He said that not good for balance with manual so automatically is best. I bit confused so now earlier I was change back to manual again.

- David
Old 06-16-2010, 06:28 PM   #9
nikos1

9:30 is a bit restrictive, id say you can push it till about 10:30, especially if its a clear day.
Though I prefer to sleep in and wait for evening light, though you run the risk of getting screwed by buildup clouds this time of year.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:56 PM   #10
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos1 View Post
9:30 is a bit restrictive, id say you can push it till about 10:30, especially if its a clear day.
Though I prefer to sleep in and wait for evening light, though you run the risk of getting screwed by buildup clouds this time of year.
Well, it depends on your longitude. You are in Atlanta, the same eastern time zone as David and I, but you are 500+ miles farther west (roughly equivalent to Cincinnati!) so you can go at least a half hour later. I'm not in Delaware but here in DC in mid-summer 9:30 is a much more sensible cut-off than 10:30.

As for evening clouds I would think it depends on local weather conditions and David is much closer to the ocean than you are, which makes a big difference I think. Haven't spent enough time in Delaware to know.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-16-2010, 07:00 PM   #11
Freericks
Met Fan

We're in the height of summer right now... and I try to avoid any time between 10 and 4. Even that is pushing it slightly.

As the year progresses, you can move closer and closer to high noon.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:50 AM   #12
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
We're in the height of summer right now... and I try to avoid any time between 10 and 4. Even that is pushing it slightly.

As the year progresses, you can move closer and closer to high noon.
Or you could use a CP filter to help make the harsh light a bit warmer.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
Old 06-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Or you could use a CP filter to help make the harsh light a bit warmer.
Since when does a CP warm? One can get a combined CP/warming filter, landscape photographers make use of them, or at least made use of them back in film days.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 06-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #14
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
Since when does a CP warm?
Who knows. It was just a word I used....doesn't mean anything other than it makes the harsh light look better.