Old 12-16-2010, 07:17 AM   #1
Watain
-_-

Send a message via MSN to Watain
Default Anyone Else Feel Like They're Slipping?

Away from the hobby? I have definitely slipped.

I fall off the face of the earth for a while then just show back up(I cant even remember the last time I posted in the forum), recently I posted my first shot in over a year...and it was one that I took...well last year, and it was nothing special I was actually surprised to see it get accepted.

I haven't given up or lost interest by any means, it just always seems work(I have a steady job so I can't complain), life in general, and the weather is always working against me.

I just bought a new 16-85 VR lens that replaced my old kit lens and I have been dying to use it, I got out and drove around Tuesday and it was a pretty frustrating trip, nothing going on but rail work and a little yard switching. No trains running at all... I was actually shocked, I've never seen it dead around here before, especially during the cold months.. Usually I come back with at least 1 usable shot, but in this case I came back with nothing.
Watain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
JimThias

I took a break for a while later in the summer and into the fall, but once we started getting closer to the snow falling, I got the itch back. I love shooting in the winter, so no matter how bored I get with trains the rest of the year, once the white stuff falls, I'm back out there.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Watain
-_-

That's something that I've wanted to get for a while, I love shooting in warm weather; but shooting in snow is definitely on my list hopefully before this winter ends.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:06 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

I haven't clicked a shutter on a train in quite a while. I've been too busy shooting paying gigs, and welcoming a new baby to the fold. Maybe this spring I'll do a little something. I'm sure my night shooting ability is taking a hit from it though.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 09:27 PM   #5
Ween

I'm not out as much as I have been due to weather and faded H2 SD70MACs still dominating the railroad scene around here...and I've pretty much angled-out catching them along my local haunts.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #6
crazytiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbassloyd View Post
I haven't clicked a shutter on a train in quite a while. [portion omittied]
Loyd L.
Me neither, its been a whole 20 hrs.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:06 AM   #7
jdirelan87

Its been a really down year for me. Normally this time of the year I've been out railfanning maybe 40-50 times. This years its just 13, 6 of which came from a week long train vacation. Biggest factor has been work. Geography is also taking a toll. While San Diego is a great place, its about a minimum two hour drive to anything serious for railfanning. Back in Pittsburgh there was so much so close, you could decide at noon to go take pictures and still have a productive day. Not so much out here, to make it worth the effort you have to make a day of it (aka, leave butt crack early).
jdirelan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:45 AM   #8
Freericks
Met Fan

I think you have to take breaks, or it stops being interesting anyway. I've been getting out here and there for a particular train, but haven't gone out and done a "railfan" day in some time.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:53 AM   #9
stlgevo51

I haven't really been going out that much in the last few months. It seems like the traffic has really been down, so you wait a while for not that much action. The biggest reason though is the lack of a drivers license. I would like to go out more, but I don't have complete control yet.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #10
troy12n
Banned

I don't shoot much in the summer because the heat and humidity here is so oppressive. I had a big trip in October, and one big weekend in November, but have been really busy since the middle of November and have not gone out once. I was actually going to go out today but its 100% clouded in and drizzling. Plus, I am still going through all the pics I took in October. I took well 5017 pictures in October (about 65% railroad related), so I have had my work cut out for me.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:09 PM   #11
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

I am out as much a physically possible. Now that it's winter, and I can't shoot a decent RP photo after abouyt 4:15pm I only really get to shoot on the weekends, and hey if it's cloudy on the weekend, I may be screwed out of getting a shot of a train for the whole week. Plus with the considerable amount of GE trash running around, I am often discouraged from going out.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 10:28 PM   #12
stlgevo51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo 6060
Plus with the considerable amount of GE trash running around, I am often discouraged from going out.
It sounds like you will be discouraged for the rest of your life. Plus, you have it good. The UP runs mostly monotonous coal drags and all stack trains have GEVOs and SD70Ms. The CP has SD40-2s running as well as leased power for you at least.
Youtube Videos
stlgevo51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:52 PM   #13
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
Plus, I am still going through all the pics I took in October. I took well 5017 pictures in October (about 65% railroad related), so I have had my work cut out for me.
That's well over 100 frames a day for the entire month of October. You really have THAT much traffic to shoot on daily basis??

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 06:22 AM   #14
Watain
-_-

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlgevo51 View Post
It sounds like you will be discouraged for the rest of your life. Plus, you have it good. The UP runs mostly monotonous coal drags and all stack trains have GEVOs and SD70Ms. The CP has SD40-2s running as well as leased power for you at least.
Around here you always see GE's leading coal trains, every now and then you'll see a SD70MAC leading. I guess people just like seeing standard cab EMD's leading trains because they're not so common.

Quote:
I took well 5017 pictures in October (about 65% railroad related), so I have had my work cut out for me.
I wish I had the time, money, rail traffic, and stamina to do that.
Old 12-20-2010, 03:11 PM   #15
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain View Post
Around here you always see GE's leading coal trains, every now and then you'll see a SD70MAC leading. I guess people just like seeing standard cab EMD's leading trains because they're not so common.
You hit it on the head. When I first started railfanning there was nothing more boring and everyday than an EMD standard cab leading (heck, we couldn't stand the aged GP35s and SD35s because from the front they looked like the brand new GP40-2s and SD40-2s).

GE U-Boats and Dash 7s weren't much better.

We were always looking for Alcos or covered wagons (F units). Sadly, they both vanished very quickly.

But the thing I remember hearing from folks was "I'm so tired of shooting SD40-2s... I'm so tired of GP38-2s..."

Shoot 'em while you can.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:04 PM   #16
crazytiger

I really agree with you, Charles. I do shoot a little differently based on power. If the power is rare, I’m much more willing to wedgie it. But, regardless, I really disdain all the complaining about the power. Like you said. Before GEVO’s, it was SD40-2’s and the GP38-2’s. Before that it was covered wagons. There will always be some type of power we seem overrun by. Just keep shooting.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II

Quote:
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
Old 12-20-2010, 06:41 PM   #17
troy12n
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
That's well over 100 frames a day for the entire month of October. You really have THAT much traffic to shoot on daily basis??
I took a 3 week, 6 state vacation during the month of October. I was out shooting all day, every day (and sometimes into the night). There were maybe 2 days I did not shoot at all, account weather conditions (rain).

Also, I dont know if this is common practice or not, but a proportion of the pictures I took were of static objects, so I may have 10-20 exposures (or more) of the exact same object. Trying different composition, exposure values (shutter speeds/aperture).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watain View Post
I wish I had the time, money, rail traffic, and stamina to do that.
Stamina is not an issue, money sometimes is, but you cant take it with you... To cut down on costs, I spent the night in my truck a couple nights in rest areas along the interstate and once in the parking lot of a wal-mart. I have the routine down pretty well, I have a cooler for cold food and tote for dry food and a tool box which fits 2 large duffel bags of clothes. With the exception of gas and hotel, costs are pretty low. Gas was a huge percentage of my costs this year, the last 2 years Gas was between $1.10 '08 and $1.80 '09 a gallon, this year, it was between $2.40 and $2.60. That's a huge cost. Hotel, I averaged about $50/night. Only 1 night was >$70. I had a influx of cash in September (gambling, my second job) which actually payed for this years trip in cash.

Last edited by troy12n; 12-20-2010 at 06:52 PM.
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #18
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
You hit it on the head. When I first started railfanning there was nothing more boring and everyday than an EMD standard cab leading (heck, we couldn't stand the aged GP35s and SD35s because from the front they looked like the brand new GP40-2s and SD40-2s).

GE U-Boats and Dash 7s weren't much better.

We were always looking for Alcos or covered wagons (F units). Sadly, they both vanished very quickly.

But the thing I remember hearing from folks was "I'm so tired of shooting SD40-2s... I'm so tired of GP38-2s..."

Shoot 'em while you can.
Very well put...I know no one can even begin to imagine this now, but some day the younger generation will be foaming at the mouth over the last GEVO and chase it 100+ miles. Nothing lasts forever, so shoot everything you can (even that "GE trash"...good luck finding a Dash 7 of any kind leading a mainline freight anymore!).
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #19
Soo 6060
EMD > GE

[quote=stlgevo51;126767]It sounds like you will be discouraged for the rest of your life.QUOTE]

Well, I just think that:

SD70ACe > ES44AC

So, maybe not.
Soo 6060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
travsirocz

Send a message via AIM to travsirocz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ween View Post
i'm not out as much as i have been due to weather and faded h2 sd70macs still dominating the railroad scene around here...and i've pretty much angled-out catching them along my local haunts.
moffat route!!
travsirocz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 11:36 PM   #21
Watain
-_-

Quote:
Stamina is not an issue, money sometimes is, but you cant take it with you... To cut down on costs, I spent the night in my truck a couple nights in rest areas along the interstate and once in the parking lot of a wal-mart. I have the routine down pretty well, I have a cooler for cold food and tote for dry food and a tool box which fits 2 large duffel bags of clothes. With the exception of gas and hotel, costs are pretty low. Gas was a huge percentage of my costs this year, the last 2 years Gas was between $1.10 '08 and $1.80 '09 a gallon, this year, it was between $2.40 and $2.60. That's a huge cost. Hotel, I averaged about $50/night. Only 1 night was >$70. I had a influx of cash in September (gambling, my second job) which actually payed for this years trip in cash.
Wow sounds like you have your methods down to a T. I actually find that pretty inspiring, heck I cant even get out when I have time off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMR159 View Post
Very well put...I know no one can even begin to imagine this now, but some day the younger generation will be foaming at the mouth over the last GEVO and chase it 100+ miles. Nothing lasts forever, so shoot everything you can (even that "GE trash"...good luck finding a Dash 7 of any kind leading a mainline freight anymore!).

Or a standard cab Dash-8.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:35 AM   #22
Freericks
Met Fan

Just think, one day you'll be saying... "Aaaarrrrgggghhhh, another solid lashup of purple Canadian BNSF ES95ECO-AC Hybrids."

(Or Norfolk Pacific National silver SD200ACes)
Old 12-24-2010, 03:10 AM   #23
crazytiger

Actually, this is a perfect, non-economic illustration of the law of supply and demand. As long as an engine is all over this system (supply is up) nobody will gawk over it (demand is down), but when an engine becomes rare (supply is down) everybody wants to see it (demand is up).

Whoops about the down in the last part.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II

Quote:

Last edited by crazytiger; 12-24-2010 at 04:41 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:48 AM   #24
mark woody

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Actually, this is a perfect, non-economic illustration of the law of supply and demand. As long as an engine is all over this system (supply is up) nobody will gawk over it (demand is down), but when an engine becomes rare (supply is down) everybody wants to see it (demand is down).
Wouldn't demand be up if everybody wanted to see it.
mark woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 AM   #25
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazytiger View Post
Actually, this is a perfect, non-economic illustration of the law of supply and demand. As long as an engine is all over this system (supply is up) nobody will gawk over it (demand is down), but when an engine becomes rare (supply is down) everybody wants to see it (demand is down).
It's actually a poor illustration for most goods, even putting aside the mistake in the last word, in an Econ 1 sense, but I know what you mean and I'll let it ride.

Except I guess I just didn't.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote