Old 03-15-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
Kyle Yunker

Default Similar Shot Rejection

My friend Nikos and I foamed over the EMD demonstrators this afternoon and submitted shots from the same city but different spots.
Mine: http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...00&key=7103601

His:http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=428506&nseq=1

Both good photos and at different spots in town albeit not super far from each other.

After I got this rejection I appealed and then saw this.
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=428518&nseq=4
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=428520&nseq=3
I also thought of all the heritage fest at Spencer photos most of which looked all alike. They havent gotten back to me on the appeal yet so maybe this thread is all for naught.

Maybe I should wait a week and submit again?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 AM   #2
JRMDC

Yes you should submit in a week, yes you wasted an appeal. Yes it works out for other people sometimes. Just let it pass and take care of business in a week or two. Well, now that you have appealed and drawn attention to the shot, maybe 2-3 weeks. Although I think admin has said in the past to just wait a while, so 1-2 is probably just fine.

That is a mighty nice scheme, hope I get to see it some day.

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking Lets See Who's Paying Attention...

Did you guys see each other when you took those shots?
Holloran Grade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
bigbassloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holloran Grade View Post
Did you guys see each other when you took those shots?

HA!

The best solution when foaming with other RP nuts is to take very different shots, or discuss the upload plans before hand. I just usually let the other nuts have at it, because I won't lose sleep over not uploading

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
KevinM

As Kenny Rogers once said....on a "train bound for nowhere": "You've got to know when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em.

If RP is your preferred way to display your photography, you will ultimately not be well-served by hanging around with other people who contribute to the site. Unless you're quicker to get home and process your images, you're going to get those annoying STP rejections, and probably fewer views on the shots you manage to get posted.

You've got a few options, as I see it:
  • As Lloyd pointed out, if you can think beyond the wedge and get something unique, you may not only avoid the STP, but you might also kick your buddy's butt on views.
  • As per J's suggestion, you could hold the shots. I personally recommend holding them longer than a couple of weeks, so they seem fresh when finally posted. I find that 2-3 years works well. LOL!
  • You could do what I do....stay away from foamer events that attract other RP'ers, or if there's no other choice, write such events off as "non-RP practice."

Lone-wolfing makes the hobby more enjoyable. There is no pressure to post, no worries that the other dude was better/quicker at processing than you, no STP rejections, and more time to get your product looking as good as possible.

Another option is to get your own SmugMug site. No hassles, no screening disputes, no BC, no STP, no PEQ...and level is whatever you think it should be. Post whatever you want. You can even set the site up to sell your stuff without you having the hassles of dealing with customers.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
Kyle Yunker

It sounds like railfanning is becoming a competition to some of yall. I dont care about how many views I get. I just like to share my photos with people who are interested and RP.net is the best place for that. Ill take the advice of waiting a while to upload again.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
MassArt Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
Another option is to get your own SmugMug site. No hassles, no screening disputes, no BC, no STP, no PEQ...and level is whatever you think it should be. Post whatever you want. You can even set the site up to sell your stuff without you having the hassles of dealing with customers.
Yea, I have a SmugMug site, massartimages.com, that I like. However since they doubled the price for a Pro account from $150 to $300, this will be my last year there. I will be moving all my stuff to another host, most likely Zenfolio. If anyone else has some other options, let me know.
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:17 AM   #8
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Yunker View Post
It sounds like railfanning is becoming a competition to some of yall. I dont care about how many views I get. I just like to share my photos with people who are interested and RP.net is the best place for that. Ill take the advice of waiting a while to upload again.
Kyle, if you hear of those demo units headed toward Nashville, let me know! I'd love to catch them on the Chattanooga sub somewhere.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 03:34 AM   #9
Kyle Yunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pick View Post
Kyle, if you hear of those demo units headed toward Nashville, let me know! I'd love to catch them on the Chattanooga sub somewhere.
Sure thing. So far theyve only run between Cincinnati and Waycross. 1202 & 1203 are paired together and 1204 & 1205 are together.

Anybody know what happened to 1201 & 2012?
Old 03-16-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
Holloran Grade
Banned

Talking I never get bent out of shape.

The interesting thing about lone wolves, is that they tend to show up in the same place while stalking their prey.

I don't know how many times I have driven several hundred miles over a few hours only to show up on some lonely hill side with two or three people that I know who also post on RP.

It may be a big world, but only certain spots work at certain times of the day during certain months of the year and most of the wolves know this.

And yes, sometimes I run home and see if I can't get something posted before the other wolves.

Just for shits and giggles, it's not like I get bent out of shape If I get scooped - well, most of the time.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #11
Kyle Yunker

Quote:
The interesting thing about lone wolves, is that they tend to show up in the same place while stalking their prey.

I don't know how many times I have driven several hundred miles over a few hours only to show up on some lonely hill side with two or three people that I know who also post on RP.

It may be a big world, but only certain spots work at certain times of the day during certain months of the year and most of the wolves know this.

And yes, sometimes I run home and see if I can't get something posted before the other wolves.

Just for shits and giggles, it's not like I get bent out of shape If I get scooped - well, most of the time.
I agree, you must have been reading my mind!

Regarding the photo of the demonstrators, I wish I could have been more creative but there's only a couple different angles you can get there....and theres only a couple shots you can get in total on the Manchester Sub of southbounds in general that late in the day.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
KevinM

Quote:
Kyle mentioned that some folks make it too much like a competition. Amen. He is absolutely correct. There are numerous RP contributors who do see it that way, whether they will admit it or not!

The worst ones are the people who attend a charter, and spend their nights in a hotel room editing on a laptop and posting from their Wi-Fi connection. By the time most of the charter participants get home, the audience is already tired of pictures from that charter. These people know from experience that most of the SCs, views, comments, etc. go to the FIRST shots of something unique, and it is clearly their goal to seize that opportunity to "scoop" everyone else.

I personally don't enjoy THAT aspect of railroad photography. As much as I absolutely enjoy being with people who have the same likes as I do, I get more enjoyment out of the photography aspect when I can scout my own shots, and take my sweet time getting home, sorting through them and trying to process them as best I can. The way I do that is to avoid well-publicized events that tend to attract a "chase" crowd, and go places that are off the well-beaten RP-path.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #13
JRMDC

Quote:
The worst ones are the people who attend a charter, and spend their nights in a hotel room editing on a laptop and posting from their Wi-Fi connection. By the time most of the charter participants get home, the audience is already tired of pictures from that charter. These people know from experience that most of the SCs, views, comments, etc. go to the FIRST shots of something unique, and it is clearly their goal to seize that opportunity to "scoop" everyone else.
I have absolutely no idea what you mean, Kevin, but I do know as a matter of inside knowledge that Chase's computer will be hacked next weekend and his hotel room will be surprisingly devoid of electricity.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 03-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #14
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I have absolutely no idea what you mean, Kevin, but I do know as a matter of inside knowledge that Chase's computer will be hacked next weekend and his hotel room will be surprisingly devoid of electricity.
"Leveling" the playing field, are we? How does the saying go about "old age and treachery vs. youth and skill?"

Just for the record however, my reference to "chase" wasn't to a person, it was to the lunatic foamers who drive like Manhattan Cab Drivers in an effort to get every last grade crossing shot on a well-publicized excursion or charter. That just ain't my cuppa tea. You'll find me walking around the NN engine house before dawn when there's no one there but me and the night hostler.

My RP stuff is here.

Old 03-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #15
bigbassloyd

Quote:
No need for that. I was planning to photo bomb all his photos.

I have no expectations of putting anything up from the charter on here, since I will be one of the last to get home. I will be spending time away from the photoline as much as possible though, so I may drum up something different. I'm just looking forward to shooting a line I've wanted to shoot for quite a long time, and hanging out with current and future friends.

Loyd L.

Old 03-16-2013, 05:03 PM   #16
JimThias

Quote:
Kyle mentioned that some folks make it too much like a competition. Amen. He is absolutely correct. There are numerous RP contributors who do see it that way, whether they will admit it or not!
Funny, I hadn't picked up on any competition vibe from "yall" RP contributors before Kyle responded with:

"It sounds like railfanning is becoming a competition to some of yall."

Kyle, what advice were you seeking after posting a rejection?

Last edited by JimThias; 03-16-2013 at 05:06 PM.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #17
JRMDC

Kevin, I was not responding to your "chase" withy my "Chase;" it just so happens Chase will be at the charter next weekend.

Loyd, I too will be away from the photo line, so please watch what I am doing and then head in some other direction! Given the lengthy winter here, I am not hopeful of seeing any early buds of green and therefore I think colors will be dull, and I personally am not a huge fan of the B&O color scheme. I too am just shooting a new place, taking advantage of a charter to practice photography, no matter the end product, and to hang out will current and new acquaintances.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 03-16-2013, 05:20 PM   #18
bigbassloyd

Stalking J, check.

Loyd L.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:37 PM   #19
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Yunker View Post
Good for you, Kyle! Clearly you're a bright guy who gets it. The only person I "compete" with is myself. RP.net is merely a means to share your train photos with others.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:09 AM   #20
Kyle Yunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Funny, I hadn't picked up on any competition vibe from "yall" RP contributors before Kyle responded with:

"It sounds like railfanning is becoming a competition to some of yall."

Kyle, what advice were you seeking after posting a rejection?
Cmon yall, Im a southerner!

The advice I was looking for had been answered which was to wait some time to upload again. Id never seen that rejection before so naturally I made use of the forums and asked.

I think the majority of people who contribute to RP.net have the same attitude towards trains and photography but there are those that may see it as a competition. If that's what they like to do then so be it. Who am I to say that it's the wrong way to railfan. It's just not the way I like to do it is all.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #21
MassArt Images

Quote:
Yes you should submit in a week, yes you wasted an appeal. Yes it works out for other people sometimes. Just let it pass and take care of business in a week or two. Well, now that you have appealed and drawn attention to the shot, maybe 2-3 weeks. Although I think admin has said in the past to just wait a while, so 1-2 is probably just fine.
Better yet, wait a year like these two shots!

Image © John Dziobko www.godfatherrails.com
PhotoID: 428996
Photograph © John Dziobko www.godfatherrails.com

PhotoID: 355214
MassArt Images is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
davecrosby

The application of "similar to previous" rejection has always puzzeled me, though I've never gotten it.

Case in point:

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...=428551&nseq=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...427787&nseq=20

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...425760&nseq=57

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphot...425758&nseq=58

Last edited by davecrosby; 03-21-2013 at 01:15 PM. Reason: edited for proper links
davecrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #23
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecrosby View Post
The application of "similar to previous" rejection has always puzzeled me, though I've never gotten it.

Case in point:

Image © Joe Goodrich
PhotoID: 428551
Photograph © Joe Goodrich

Image © Mitch Goldman
PhotoID: 427787
Photograph © Mitch Goldman

The first two aren't that similar as they obviously changed the color of the light bulbs between shootings.
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #24
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
The first two aren't that similar as they obviously changed the color of the light bulbs between shootings.
+1 +1 !!!

text filler

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
Old 03-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #25
Holloran Grade
Banned

Lightbulb The Big Eye Roll.

I am really surprised this one:

PhotoID: 428996

was not rejected for cropping (RP hates empty space that deviates from the 3/4 wedgie format) and the obvious lean to the left.

Though I think it is a fantastic picture to the point of being "epic," I actually like the following one better.

Again, it only proves that the only consistent thing about the screening process is it's inconsistency.