Old 06-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Mgoldman

Default Filters and spice, nice to a point!

I'm calling the vignette police if this doesn't stop, lol.

Use like a spice - some dishes call for a little, some for a lot
and some not at all - just say'n!

Name:  RPVignettedSig.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  20.2 KB
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

Pics, or it didn't happen

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
JimThias

JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:46 AM   #4
Mgoldman

I ain't naming names - just found it interesting when someone I know brought it up. Mostly, I just took the opportunity to sign off vignetted, lol.

Name:  RPVignettedSig.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  20.2 KB
Old 06-13-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
bigbassloyd

I see a lot of crappy editing on here, but nothing that's sticking out more than the rest..

And since dey aint no pichers, this thread is dun.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
JRMDC

Well, I am not a vignetting fan. I see how some might see its role in making an image look like something from a century ago, when equipment was not as good. And some have been using it to instill a certain mood into shots, such as Travis and Jon Cirsanti. Sometimes I am ok with that, sometimes not so much. When it is used as more of a pure framing device, well, I am still trying to sort out when I like that, am ok with that, or hate that. Clearly I have some distaste for it, but on the other hand, I do like it at times, as with some Crisanti shots in particular.

But I don't see the point at all in a bright sun shot. So here's a shot by Samuel Phillips. I think we can all agree that one can't casting aspersions on his talent and execution of same, we all know he is a fine photographer. So why do this???

Image © Samuel Phillips
PhotoID: 439241
Photograph © Samuel Phillips

Uugh!

Also, this one. Looks like a nice day, but the sun hid behind a cloud. It happens, and I for one don't find that to be as big a detriment to a shot as others do. Hey, tastes vary. But what is the point of the vignette? It is the exact opposite of natural, in my book, I find it a jarring addition to the shot.

Image © Samuel Phillips
PhotoID: 438429
Photograph © Samuel Phillips

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots

Last edited by JRMDC; 06-13-2013 at 03:14 PM.
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #7
Mgoldman

So as not to single Samuel out - and the same statement applies two these two fine photogrpahers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I think we can all agree that one can't cast aspersions on his talent and execution of same, we all know he is a fine photographer...
Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 438971
Photograph © John Crisanti

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 438565
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

Janusz brought to light the sunny day vignetting - though, I made an involuntary note of the vignetting going on with a recent plethora of dark, dingy, Halloween-like images. At times, lately, I thought I was going to need an appointment with an eye doctor - the world seemed to be closing in on me, lol. Like a Tim Burton movie.

Name:  Tim Burton.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  41.4 KB

Three cheers, none the less - I've toyed with it myself at times where I would not have thought to, and it does have it's appeal. I just try to using sparingly - like movie transition special effects; neat at first, but best in moderation.

/Mitch

Last edited by Mgoldman; 06-13-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgoldman View Post
So as not to single Samuel out - and the same statement applies two these two fine photogrpahers:

Image © John Crisanti
PhotoID: 438971
Photograph © John Crisanti

Image © Travis Dewitz
PhotoID: 438565
Photograph © Travis Dewitz

Janusz brought to light the sunny day vignetting - though, I made an involuntary note of the vignetting going on with a recent plethora of dark, dingy, Halloween-like images. ...

Three cheers, none the less - I've toyed with it myself at times where I would not have thought to, and it does have it's appeal. I just try to using sparingly - like movie transition special effects; neat at first, but best in moderation.

/Mitch
nice catch on the Crisanti shot, another fine example. Travis' shot, tougher call. It isn't clear that the left side, in particular, is really much affected, and the scene without vignetting may have mixed brightness. At the same time, the vignetting there doesn't add anything, for my tastes.

My views on vignetting, maybe the better word is tastes, have shifted over time. I see some value, or at least neutrally, no loss of value, in its use at times. But sometimes it sticks out as jarringly out of place, as in three of the four shots here (not counting the image of Mr. Burton).

There is a tradeoff, I think, enhancement of visual effect (call it enhanced mood if you like) vs deviation from what I will very loosely call "natural." And then there is the separate (to me) framing effect, independent of its effect on mood. To be explored ...

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
nikos1

The vingetting on the UP GEVO wedge shot is just stupid, like something you would expect to find on instagram. I think Samuels 70ACe and Travis's shot's are pretty tastefully done in my opinion.

Wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=7861

More wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's http://nikos1.rrpicturearchives.net/

Video wedge shots of blue HLCX SD60's
http://youtube.com/profile?user=nikosjk1
nikos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 PM   #10
KevinM

I think that the issue with the vignettes cited in this thread is that they are overdone. The best vignettes are subtle. Just enough to subliminally focus your attention, but not so much that you consciously think: "gee, why did the photographer do this?"

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:01 AM   #11
Mgoldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinM View Post
I think that the issue with the vignettes cited in this thread is that they are overdone. The best vignettes are subtle. Just enough to subliminally focus your attention, but not so much that you consciously think: "gee, why did the photographer do this?"
Overdone, but not so much as in over processed - though there are examples of that as well. To be honest, even the ones that were over-processed have their charm but it was getting to be the new doom and gloom norm.

/Mitch