Old 05-05-2014, 04:53 AM   #1
Joe the Photog

Default NS Shortlines Around Hendersonville, NC

Mike;

Are you keeping up with the news and discussion regarding NS shortlines various lines in North Carolina. One os the line to Canton. Apparently Watco is the leading contender.

http://www.wlos.com/shared/news/feat...dy-15904.shtml
Old 05-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
ShortlinesUSA

Yes, indeed Joe. I have heard the same that Watco is the likely operator, but I've been hearing that for well over a year before this story came out in the local media (and it only involved the line to Sylva at that time). It struck me as odd the Great Smoky Mountains RR wouldn't just get the rest of that one, because they already operate some freight on their end of the line.

But it just may be they're not interested in any more than they're doing already.

Also, I have seen many, many of these deals fall apart in the end and the Class 1 keeps the lines. I think CSX's Shenandoah Subdivision here in Virginia has been "sold" 3 times in the past 14 years of me living here (and of course, CSX still operates it). If I reported that rumor every time I heard it, the most recent flavor of pie I would have smashed across my face is RJ Corman.

I appreciate any updates to the story as it develops. I definitely know some newer folks in that general area who could be affected by bumps as people fall out the backdoor in Asheville, and can understand how those on the bottom of the list feel. I know that one all too well from being twice furloughed from the airlines...

Shortline and Regional RR forum moderator
ShortlinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:31 AM   #3
ShortlinesUSA

And Watco it is:

http://www.stb.dot.gov/filings/all.nsf/ba7f93537688b8e5852573210004b318/11a875a6792b354f85257cd300704442/$FILE/236026.pdf

Old 05-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #4
ShortlinesUSA

I am hearing June 9th for a startup date for Watco's Blue Ridge Southern operation for those of you looking to photograph the final days of NS and/or the first days of Watco.