Old 02-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #1
JMeade

Default Zoom Pan

I have tried submitting a few panning shots within the last few months to no avail. My recent submission I felt was decently sharp for 1/15th second at dusk (purposely wanted to utilize the colors of the sky and water) although it was rejected for being too soft. Looking at the archives here with a similar shutter speed and angle I felt this had a chance.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...28&key=4915936
JMeade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 02:07 PM   #2
Decapod401

I am viewing this on a work laptop with a questionable screen, so I can't really say whether it is sharp or not.

You are falling into a trap by saying that the subject is sufficiently sharp for the conditions under which the image was taken. The image is either sharp, or it is not, and exposure parameters have no bearing. If you can further sharpen it, do so, and good luck!
Decapod401 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
RobJor

Right the rejections says not sharpened enough, not blurry so seemingly try to sharpen more? I get this rejection all the time as I think they fixate on it too much.

In PS I normally use smart sharpen and if rejected I over sharpen with unsharp mask, dialing back with edit fade.

I like it a lot and hope it is accepted. As an aside I don't even try pans and I know that is kind of zoomed in but I think zoom pans are the one like Mitch does where he is shooting head on and pulling the zoom back while the train approaches??????? or not even moving creating the illusion of motion.

Bob

Last edited by RobJor; 02-08-2016 at 04:10 PM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:19 PM   #4
miningcamper1

If they say "undersharpened" rather than "blurry", just humor them. I'd say a moderate amount of additional sharpening should suffice.

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:40 PM   #5
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by miningcamper1 View Post
If they say "undersharpened" rather than "blurry", just humor them. I'd say a moderate amount of additional sharpening should suffice.
Agreed. Easy fix. Just sharpen the train a little more.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
JMeade

Thanks for the feedback.

I intentionally wanted the shutter to be slow to construe motion, in this case the train was doing 30mph over the bridge. It definitely took a few warmups before I had something decent.

The shot is resubmitted with the suggestions of sharpening the consist again.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:25 PM   #7
RobJor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMeade View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I intentionally wanted the shutter to be slow to construe motion, in this case the train was doing 30mph over the bridge. It definitely took a few warmups before I had something decent.

The shot is resubmitted with the suggestions of sharpening the consist again.
I see it is accepted. Congrats!

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:40 PM   #8
Mgoldman

That's an exceptional shot - I hate you, lol.

Looks more like it was the brightening of the shot that got it accepted vs extra sharpening. Ever notice that reading fine print is easier with more light - same with this, and many other pans. Brightness exaggerates the sharpness, or at least under exposure hides it.

I think I'm most impressed that - of all the frames that came out sharp, one was EXACTLY where you needed it, vs what is more typical - the frame with the catenary pole in the way. I suppose the 30 mph speed helped out there!

Great shot - shame those linking their own, or artificially increasing their views may keep it (initially) from getting the views it deserves. A simple fix by admin would be to subtract those linked views from the view count, or factor in "most favorited" in the Top of the Day formula. Still, you got a good shot at a PC.

/Mitch

And yes, Bob is correct, a zoom pan is the terminology to use when zooming the lens in or out while focused on a subject that is either going away or coming towards you. Otherwise - you have your not so standard, standard pan.
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:17 PM   #9
JMeade

Thanks for everyone's input. I did in fact dodge the consist and the bridge along with sharpening the consist for my resubmission. After viewing and adjusting an image for awhile, sometimes it's better to seek other opinions.

Mitch, you're still the king of panning.