Old 01-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
GoDogGo

Default Dusk Photo Advice

I think I know the answer to this one, but I'm still learning these things and it helps my learning process to get independent confirmation. I submitted one version of this photo awhile back, and it was rejected for too dark; I brightened it a little and submitted this one, but it again was rejected for too dark. I'm guessing I can't get it bright enough to get through the screening, but wanted to put it out there and see if there's any hope. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4578.mod3.rp.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	9347  
Old 01-09-2017, 05:58 PM   #2
spacetrain1983

First off, the gate is slightly obstructing the plow. As a general rule, if anything is obstructing the front of the locomotive, it probably won't make it. And the train is cut off at left. Looks like you could've gotten a better shot from the other side of the road.

EDIT: Also, the lead unit appears to be quite centered, which generally leads to a "Rule of Thirds" rejection.
Old 01-26-2017, 04:09 PM   #3
GoDogGo

I think my suspicions were confirmed by the minimal comments (thanks, though, spacetrain1983) and I've moved on from this one. I confess, though, that I like the coloring and earth shadow in the original shot.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:10 PM   #4
miningcamper1

Maybe a more photogenic location would have worked...

RP Photos: www.railpictures.net/miningcamper1/
miningcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 08:36 PM   #5
KevinM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDogGo View Post
I think I know the answer to this one, but I'm still learning these things and it helps my learning process to get independent confirmation. I submitted one version of this photo awhile back, and it was rejected for too dark; I brightened it a little and submitted this one, but it again was rejected for too dark. I'm guessing I can't get it bright enough to get through the screening, but wanted to put it out there and see if there's any hope. Thanks!
To me, brightness is not the issue here. The exposure, focus and processing look OK to me. If I had to pick an issue, I would probably have composed it differently. It appears as if you have a sand berm on the left. I might have tried to see if I could cut the train off with that vs. the frame. On the right, the signal is cropped off oddly, at least in my view. I probably would have tried to show more of it, or less of it. Artsy-fartsy types might like it as-is, but I'm not a fan. Lastly, the positioning of the crossing gate and the train creates what's known as a "merge", in which major elements appear to "touch" each other in a way that is visually less appealing. If possible, it is better to avoid merges. The scene looks cleaner that way.

Whenever I see a rejection in which the reason doesn't make sense to me, I have to wonder if there are more issues in play than just this particular photo.

My RP stuff is here.

Link to my Flickr Albums. Lots of Steam Railroad stuff there from all over the US.
KevinM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:15 PM   #6
GoDogGo

Thanks for your comments, Kevin. I think you make good points about the composure, but this one was by far the best of the series I took. It's cropped a bit tight for my taste as well (and it probably would look better with more signal), but to do rule of thirds and avoid a truck there to the left of the photograph, I did what I thought I had to do. But for the colors that I liked and the fact that I managed at the last minute to catch the Strates Carnival Train coming through (maybe it's a little too much of a grab shot), I probably wouldn't have thought much more about the shot frankly. I was looking for input because sometimes I misjudge my own shots but these points are consistent with my own conclusion after long consideration that there is nothing else really to do with this one. Thanks though for the input--I appreciate it.