Old 01-18-2010, 08:56 PM   #26
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freericks View Post
NI have to agree with others that I really did like that scheme too, along with the Chessie yellow cat, ... I think it really has to do with a lot of us having grown up with those schemes more than anything else though.
NO, NO, NO, the Chessie scheme is all-time great on PURELY O-B-J-E-C-T-I-V-E grounds!

Any questions? Has the lack of cold out there mucked with your mind?

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #27
Dennis A. Livesey

Cool

I think all the UP heritage schemes look terrific, a breath of much needed fresh air.

I also love the old schemes as much as anybody but I don't think we should stop moving forward.

I have seen so many truly awful designs, mostly for commuter rail, that these reaffirmed my belief that a railroad can still make something exciting to look at.

Finally, I applaud UP for actually honoring it's history, rather than ignoring it.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Dennis A. Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:04 PM   #28
jnohallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
NO, NO, NO, the Chessie scheme is all-time great on PURELY O-B-J-E-C-T-I-V-E grounds!

Any questions? Has the lack of cold out there mucked with your mind?
Personally, I think the Chessie scheme is one of the uglier schemes to have come along - way too busy! Give me the classic B&O "Capitol" scheme any day!

Jon

Click here to see my photos on RP.net!

Do not, under any circumstances whatsoever, click here. Don't even think about it. I'm warning you!
jnohallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:12 PM   #29
Chris Z

Send a message via Skype™ to Chris Z

I'm partial to the Chessie scheme, and also the Rock Islands bright red and yellow was pretty cool, especially on their SD40-2's. Those were great psychedelic times of a hippie era gone by. Hey, wait a minute, aren't some of those dope smokin' hippies running congress now?

Chris Z
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:38 PM   #30
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis A. Livesey View Post
I think all the UP heritage schemes look terrific, a breath of much needed fresh air.

Finally, I applaud UP for actually honoring it's history, rather than ignoring it.
Too bad all of those locos will be yellow again in the near future.

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:49 PM   #31
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
Too bad all of those locos will be yellow again in the near future.
Resistance is futile... you will be assimilated.
Freericks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:05 AM   #32
CP 8848
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by travsirocz View Post
What happened to the IAIS Rock Island locomotive photo? Poor quality or stolen?
Before I start a complete Flame war (again)...

The owner of IAIS 513 picture gave permission to everyone to start spreading the picture around the internet. I uploaded it to RP, it was accepted, but the next morning it was removed. I tried to upload again but now I have had my photo uploading privlages revoked....So let's hear those hate comments!

(Keep in mind, I'm only 13)
CP 8848 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #33
bigbassloyd

No reason to hate. You broke rule number 1 of the uploading guidelines, got caught, got punished.

Game over

Loyd L.

My personal photography site
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #34
Dennis A. Livesey

Quote:
Resistance is futile... you will be assimilated.
Just like DRW...WP...MP...KATY...SP...

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

"Dennis is such a God, he could do that with a camera obscura and some homemade acetate." Holloran Grade

"To me it looks drawn in in Paintshop. It looks like a puddle of orange on the sky." SFO777
Old 01-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #35
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 8848 View Post
Before I start a complete Flame war (again)...

The owner of IAIS 513 picture gave permission to everyone to start spreading the picture around the internet. I uploaded it to RP, it was accepted, but the next morning it was removed. I tried to upload again but now I have had my photo uploading privlages revoked....So let's hear those hate comments!

(Keep in mind, I'm only 13)

Because you are 13, I would say the reason behind what happened is probably something that you did not understand. If I were you, I would recommend that after you read the rest of this, if you agree with it, you go to the admins of RP and apologize.

In the simplest of terms, being given permission to distribute an image is not the same as having possession of the copyright to an image. When you were given permission by the owner to distribute it, that was an agreement between you and the image owner, but it did not alter your agreement between you and the owners of Railpictures.net. Your agreement with them was to only upload pictures that you were the rightful owner of the copyright to.

This means that you may only upload images that that you had either taken yourself, or that you had acquired possession of legally through inheritence or sale that included possession of the copyright. Family members or friends can turn a copyright over to you tacitly when they give you an original photograph and tell you that the photograph is now yours to do with what you want. Or, if they pass on and leave the photograph to you, you may assume you own the copyright.

If you purchase a photoraph from a copyright owner and they do not retain the copyright, there may be an expectation that you now own the copyright, but this case can get tricky, so you want to be careful. Having the original negative or slide in your possession and having purchased the photograph from the photographer's estate itself is probably a safe way to say you have acquired the copyright, while buying a slide on eBay that says copyright reserved is a safe way to ensure that all you have bought is a slide. In the latter case, you cannot upload it to RP.net.

In the case that you describe, you actually did not buy anything and did not own anything. What you had was permission to share or permission to distribute. What RP.net requires is possession of copyright.

I know that this was a long and boring explanation, but in the future it will help you with these types of situations. The best bet is not to upload anything that you didn't take, unless you are absolutely sure that you own the copyright to it.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:35 AM   #36
Dennis A. Livesey

Excellent post Charles.

I Foam Therefore I Am.

My pix on RailPics:

I am on Flickr as well:

Old 01-19-2010, 02:28 AM   #37
CP 8848
Banned

Quote:
Because you are 13, I would say the reason behind what happened is probably something that you did not understand. If I were you, I would recommend that after you read the rest of this, if you agree with it, you go to the admins of RP and apologize.

In the simplest of terms, being given permission to distribute an image is not the same as having possession of the copyright to an image. When you were given permission by the owner to distribute it, that was an agreement between you and the image owner, but it did not alter your agreement between you and the owners of Railpictures.net. Your agreement with them was to only upload pictures that you were the rightful owner of the copyright to.

This means that you may only upload images that that you had either taken yourself, or that you had acquired possession of legally through inheritence or sale that included possession of the copyright. Family members or friends can turn a copyright over to you tacitly when they give you an original photograph and tell you that the photograph is now yours to do with what you want. Or, if they pass on and leave the photograph to you, you may assume you own the copyright.

If you purchase a photoraph from a copyright owner and they do not retain the copyright, there may be an expectation that you now own the copyright, but this case can get tricky, so you want to be careful. Having the original negative or slide in your possession and having purchased the photograph from the photographer's estate itself is probably a safe way to say you have acquired the copyright, while buying a slide on eBay that says copyright reserved is a safe way to ensure that all you have bought is a slide. In the latter case, you cannot upload it to RP.net.

In the case that you describe, you actually did not buy anything and did not own anything. What you had was permission to share or permission to distribute. What RP.net requires is possession of copyright.

I know that this was a long and boring explanation, but in the future it will help you with these types of situations. The best bet is not to upload anything that you didn't take, unless you are absolutely sure that you own the copyright to it.
Thank-you very much, now I completly understand. I tried to come in contact with the RP Staff but of course...I haven't gotten an answer yet.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #38
CP 8848
Banned

Oh by the way...what is an Admin?
Old 01-19-2010, 02:41 AM   #39
Freericks
Met Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP 8848 View Post
Oh by the way...what is an Admin?
A site administrator... in the case of Railpictures.net, this would mean Chris Kilroy or Chris Starnes.

You'll need to be patient. They have outside jobs and a lot of responsibilities for the site too. It could be a couple weeks before you hear back. Just know it will take some time.

And of course, I can't promise anything about what the response will be. That will be their decision, not mine.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #40
Mgoldman

Default ROCK ISLAND LIVERY Photo Link (lots of pics)

For those of you out there that arent' suckers (like I am for joining up to TO's and getting a chance to see these images nice and early, among other benefits), here is a link to the new Rock Island heritage engine provided by the IAIS RR.

http://www.iaisrr.com/image/tid/11

/Mitch
Mgoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #41
coborn35

Image © sp8192
PhotoID: 311425
Photograph © sp8192

There ya go.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:20 PM   #42
milwman
I shoot what I like

Send a message via Yahoo to milwman

It is on its way North now, Davenport next stop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22299476@N05/
milwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 11:54 PM   #43
coborn35

That is one sharp looking engine.
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:20 PM   #44
Nahant

Here's a video I found of 513 going through Nahant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmBlhZ0VAAs
Nahant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #45
Joe the Photog

Looks better out on the road in the elements.
Image © FJ Grizel
PhotoID: 311659
Photograph © FJ Grizel

Second impression much better than the first. Funny in a small way that the two shots I've seen so far have it as the "OCK ISLAND."
Old 01-25-2010, 04:17 PM   #46
crazytiger

Image © Scott Marsh
PhotoID: 311814
Photograph © Scott Marsh

Here is another.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon EF 50 f/1.8 II
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4 L USM
Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Friend
everytime i see non-train photos of yours i think, "so much talent. wasted on trains."
crazytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #47
John Fladung
JohnFladung.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahant View Post
Here's a video I found of 513 going through Nahant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmBlhZ0VAAs
Wow sounds like that unit on the front needs to be taken out of its misery.
John Fladung is offline   Reply With Quote