Old 07-24-2019, 02:57 AM   #1
VGN800

Default Cloudy Shots - Common/Standard?

Just curious what isn't considered a common/standard scene in a cloudy shot. I visited Wind River Canyon in Wyoming when I was out west to chase the Big Boy and was lucky enough to catch a train in the canyon after waiting for several hours for a rock slide to be cleared.

https://www.railpictures.net/viewrej...64&key=1021076

As someone from the east coast this might be a once in a lifetime shot for me, even if it was cloudy. I know that doesn't factor into screener's decisions but is this really that common of a shot? Should I bother trying to appeal it?
VGN800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:04 PM   #2
bigbassloyd

From a 'me' standpoint, I don't see any reason why this shot doesn't deserve a spot here. Maybe needs a small color balance shift towards blue but overall it is processed fine and offers a good composition. A quick search of the nearest location yields a majority of the shots from that immediate area are indeed cloudy.

From a screener standpoint.. technically it does meet rejection criteria.

Long live the Virginian.

Loyd L.

My personal photography site

Last edited by bigbassloyd; 07-25-2019 at 03:15 AM.
bigbassloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
Grewup on the CW

Nice shot and I agree its worthy of a spot on RP. My suggestion I see that would help it's odds of passing the rejection is to lighten the shadows on the locos. Trouble is, it has already been rejected for cloudy so odds of get an acceptance now are slim. Put it in the hopper and save it for later date, reprocess and try again.
Grewup on the CW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 01:23 AM   #4
VGN800

Thanks for the tips, I guess I'll wait a bit and try again. I'm sure the fact that there were over 40 photos in the queue when they reviewed mine didn't help.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:48 AM   #5
vcode455

Yeah, no idea why that would not be accepted. Beats a mile high drone shot....
vcode455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 11:22 PM   #6
Jackson Glozer

First off, very nice shot!!

I think (as others have stated) that you could process the photo a little better to look less cloudy. Brightening up the shadows, increasing contrast, and increasing overall exposure helps. Perhaps also making the entire image a bit warmer.

Once again nice shot, and with a few tweaks I don’t see why It shouldn’t get on!
Jackson Glozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 01:08 AM   #7
RobJor

I'd think a little tighter crop and maybe some more contrast could help but that is very subjective. I tend to take rejections a little more personal so I'd be upset to have a great catch like that rejected. Wind River is one of great places I''d like to get to.

This one showed up today, a little up river on the same route I think, or at least similar look, so I'd be extra upset, more train less scenery, not sure that is really better.

Image © Jason Cary
PhotoID: 704742
Photograph © Jason Cary

Bob

I got to Rainbow Canyon after many years and had some reasonable shots but cloudy, never even tried.

Last edited by RobJor; 07-26-2019 at 01:13 AM.
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 02:02 AM   #8
VGN800

To be honest I'm not overly upset about the rejection. To some extent I feel like I'm getting one over whenever one of my shots is accepted because most of them are actually frame grabs from my 4k videos. Here's the link to the one this shot is from:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqw6M_sgSv4
Old 07-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
TedG

I've never appealed before (because most--if not all--of my rejections were completely legit), so I'm not sure just what the ramifications are. But I would be pissed in this case, especially in light of the subsequent approval of #704742, which is also a cloudy day with common power.

I don't think you should feel like you're "getting one over", just because it's a frame grab from your video. Your video is technically nothing more than an assemblage of still shots at 30 (or whatever) fps.

At any rate, I like the photo, and your video.

/Ted
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 03:12 PM   #10
Decapod401

If you don't appeal much, and you are polite in your request, I would consider that option. I recently submitted my first appeal in months, and went from PAQ to TO24:

Image © Doug Lilly
PhotoID: 703769
Photograph © Doug Lilly

Your mileage may vary, but it's worth a shot.

My RP Pics are HERE.

I've now got a Flickr. account, too.
Decapod401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2019, 09:04 PM   #11
RobJor

[quote=Decapod401;195646]If you don't appeal much, and you are polite in your request, I would consider that option. I recently submitted my first appeal in months, and went from PAQ to TO24:

Now you tell me to be polite, ooops. With my night/early day photos probably 25% or even more of accepted were appeals or try again later.
Also, My first photo was an appeal.

Image © Robert Jordan
PhotoID: 469161
Photograph © Robert Jordan

Bob
RobJor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
VGN800

I tried appealing and no dice, but whatever, I have a lot of other angles available from the canyon video. Maybe I'll try another submission later.