Old 03-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #26
mr_mathyou

Send a message via AIM to mr_mathyou

Interesting discussion. I dont have a problem with wedges, I shoot a good number of them. Some are out of circumstance, as said before some times surroundings dont allow for anything else. Some times I just dont care. Like when I'm hikeing an area for the first time I go mainly to scout it out and figure out how the light will be there at what ever time of day. If a train comes i may as well shoot it. and more often than not it resutls in a wedge. When find a spot i think will be good i return to it later with my full set up and try to capture better photos.

To me the most important thing is lighting. When i set up i usualy figre out what my lighting will be, then i decide how i want to shoot based on that. Now i will admit there are times that i jsut go down to the SLO dopot area jsut cause i know i can usualy find a train down there and usualy get a good shot wedge shot of it. But honely i prefer shooting and looking at stuff that included some nice sceenery be it wedge or not.

Some people complain that there are too many wedges here, and I would agree with them partialy... i dont mind the angel, but more mind the power and the lighting. common power not super well lit wedges are not very interesting to me i just say. If its interesting equitment or nice lighting then it is usualy much more apealing to me.

Now these are all my oppinions, and the great thing about photography is that there is no right way to do it, its all about what you like. So yeah keep up all the good shooting no matter what angle its at.
~matt
mr_mathyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:11 PM   #27
Crusader

Just to show that even a well-lit wedgie can get rejected...

I submitted this photo and was rejeced originally for poor scan quality. So I re-scanned, which fixed the quality, but was rejected for "too dark"... so lightened it but was still rejected for "too dark" ... so I lightened it more but was rejected for "bad color" and "bad contrast" (which is no surprise, since it was now too light).

I readjusted it to its original levels and posted it elsewhere.

Admittedly, the power is ho-hum, and the scenery is my trash-strewn stomping grounds. So no great loss to the artistic or railfan communities that it didn't make the cut here. Just thought it an interesting footnote to our discussion on wedgies.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #28
David Telesha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
Just to show that even a well-lit wedgie can get rejected...

I submitted this photo and was rejeced originally for poor scan quality. So I re-scanned, which fixed the quality, but was rejected for "too dark"... so lightened it but was still rejected for "too dark" ... so I lightened it more but was rejected for "bad color" and "bad contrast" (which is no surprise, since it was now too light).

I readjusted it to its original levels and posted it elsewhere.

Admittedly, the power is ho-hum, and the scenery is my trash-strewn stomping grounds. So no great loss to the artistic or railfan communities that it didn't make the cut here. Just thought it an interesting footnote to our discussion on wedgies.
Seems to be suffering from a high sun - the lighting isn't that great.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:20 PM   #29
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Telesha
Seems to be suffering from a high sun - the lighting isn't that great.
It was about 2:30 pm, 1st week of March. The front trucks cast their shadow backward onto the fuel tank, but the plow casts its shadow back on the trucks. In that location, it's pretty much the best light I'm gonna get, and very similar to this....
Image © Charlie O
PhotoID: 124668
Photograph © Charlie O

I wish the power had been as interesting.

Of course, as spring and summer approach, the sun will be higher and less from the south, so it will only get harder to get decent light from that spot.

Last edited by Crusader; 03-03-2006 at 10:24 PM.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #30
hoydie17
We Own The Night...

Send a message via AIM to hoydie17 Send a message via Yahoo to hoydie17

Charlie, the first shot, not to be a jerk, but that is not my definition of a "well-lit wedgie". You appear to be on the darkside of the train, I am sure there is logical reason for it, be it trepassing, safety, whatever.

The 2nd one, while still on the "dark side" the shadows are not nearly as pronounced and distracting as they are on the AC6000.

Nevertheless, my point stands, just because you take the photo, doesn't mean you HAVE TO SUBMIT to RP.net. (not directing this directly at you Charlie; blanket statement).

Show off your best work, not all of it.

Sean

Or if you want to see my work here at RP.net? Click here.

"It's just a damn train son!"
hoydie17 is offline   Reply With Quote