Old 06-06-2007, 04:15 AM   #26
Ween

Oh c'mon, Nick! It looks like you get plenty of action when the sun is out...which is good cause I'm a fan!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:04 AM   #27
TAMR159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Oh c'mon, Nick! It looks like you get plenty of action when the sun is out...which is good cause I'm a fan!
Eh, not as much as I'd like...but then again, I'm spoiled, living on a line with roughly 70 trains per day and all (it's a real wake-up-call when I railfan the Southern Tier Line which gets perhaps 1/10 of what the Chicago Line gets...but the scenery is to die for!). The biggest problem up here is that it's flat, straight, and has next to nothing trackside for photo-props...
TAMR159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #28
Ween

Quote:
The biggest problem up here is that it's flat, straight, and has next to nothing trackside for photo-props...
Join the club!
Old 06-06-2007, 05:18 AM   #29
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
What decides who a screener's friends are, out of curiosity?

Also, I noticed the "banned" check box on the screen. Is it just the admin who can ban members or can any screener do it if someone double-uploads or abuses a feature or guideline?
I will not screen any friends photos and they know this. We have to maintain integrity for the site and it reflects upon us personally in situations when a friend is involved. Therefore, I drive the Chris' nuts by kicking photos submitted by my friends into the senior editors que. Mike, Greg, Brian, Mark, etc. know how it goes. The rule: be fair and always let a non-partisan eye screen the photo.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:22 PM   #30
JimThias

I surprised this hasn't been asked...do the screeners ever reject any other screener's submissions? If so, what is the following exchange like?

"What do you mean it's backlit? I'll have you fired if you don't accept it!"
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #31
Carl Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias
I surprised this hasn't been asked...do the screeners ever reject any other screener's submissions? If so, what is the following exchange like?

LOL ... I would imagine that in order to stay a screener they would probably have to be submitting acceptable photos. If they get a reject from another screener that would be pretty hilarious in my opinion.

Obviously screeners do not have to have always submitted very nice shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
Now, I only started uploading to RP in late 2003 about a year after the creation of RP and I was getting hundreds of rejections mostly for my shots being too dark or bad cropping.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
From which one can only conclude, by a simple application of logic, that Andrew's early stuff must have consisted mostly of PURE CRAP!!!!!!!!

Tongue not just placed firmly but indeed smashed into cheek!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So how'd you get your shooting skills going????????? You must have come a LOOOOOONG way!!!!!
Carl Becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:58 PM   #32
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Becker
LOL ... I would imagine that in order to stay a screener they would probably have to be submitting acceptable photos. If they get a reject from another screener that would be pretty hilarious in my opinion.
That hurts, Carl. Just kidding, but yes, I do still get photos rejected. ::gasp!:: It's mainly because I like to push the envelope here at RP.net and try some seriously out-of-the-box stuff or just different. I don't get mad because its not like the photo has been deleted off of the earth or was rejected by society as a whole. I have attached one of the two or three rejections I have gotten this year. Enjoy! (Rejected for "backlit")
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SCR31---Carpenters.jpg (261.5 KB, 223 views)

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 08:30 PM   #33
JRMDC

Quote:
I don't get mad because its not like the photo has been deleted off of the earth or was rejected by society as a whole.
Society hereby deems this photo objectionable and undesirable. Please ensure that it is deleted off the face of the earth within 12 hours.

Thus Spake Zarathustra

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 10:21 PM   #34
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (99)
I don't get mad because its not like the photo has been deleted off of the earth or was rejected by society as a whole.
WHAT??? You mean railpics isn't the end-all be-all???

(you'd think so sometimes)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC
Society hereby deems this photo objectionable and undesirable. Please ensure that it is deleted off the face of the earth within 12 hours.

Thus Spake Zarathustra

Good one.

Last edited by JimThias; 06-06-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:26 AM   #35
J. E. Landrum
RailPictures.Net Crew

Quote:

Oh heck yes! I've been rejected for soft focus, horizon unlevel, backlit, etc... I take the magazine approach of rejection. I can wallpaper my house with rejection slips from the magazines. You just say "OK" and move on if it is not a technical glitch that can be corrected.
J. E. Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:43 AM   #36
Wizzo

Quote:
I have attached one of the two or three rejections I have gotten this year. Enjoy! (Rejected for "backlit")
I like it. I don't object to backlit shots, especially strongly backlit shots, I think they can look very dramatic.

STEVE
Wizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:01 PM   #37
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzo
I like it. I don't object to backlit shots, especially strongly backlit shots, I think they can look very dramatic.

STEVE
Like this?

I didn't even waste time submitting that one because I knew it would get rejected for being backlit, even though the nose and rear of the train are well lit (and I've seen similar lit shots accepted on here, but with my luck, it would be rejected). If they'd only come along an hour later, the sun would have been perfect. I was about 30 feet up in a hunting blind and haven't had the opportunity to go back and try again later in the evening.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:49 PM   #38
Wizzo

Quote:
Like this?
I didn't even waste time submitting that one because I knew it would get rejected for being backlit, even though the nose and rear of the train are well lit (and I've seen similar lit shots accepted on here, but with my luck, it would be rejected). If they'd only come along an hour later, the sun would have been perfect. I was about 30 feet up in a hunting blind and haven't had the opportunity to go back and try again later in the evening.
It depends on the picture - some backlit pics work, just like some normally lit pics don't, there's no hard & fast rules. I think to work, a backlit pic has to have 'something' else in it or about it besides the subject to maintain interest - maybe reflections and/or glints off a wet surface, or spectacular lighting, or in the case of Andrews shot, the steam, snow, trees, and shadows.

I like the location in your shot and look forward to seeing the shot once the light has come round. With the light where it was though, maybe the better shot would have been a stronger telephoto to catch it further back on the curve, or if possible, a lower, more head on angle with the rest of the train visible in the background ?

STEVE
Old 06-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #39
Ween

Quote:
With the light where it was though, maybe the better shot would have been a stronger telephoto to catch it further back on the curve
Jim's no dummy:
Image © Jim Thias
PhotoID: 186320
Photograph © Jim Thias
Old 06-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #40
Wizzo

Quote:
Jim's no dummy:
Image © Jim Thias
Photograph © Jim Thias
Honestly - I would never assume anyone with pics accepted here was. I just haven't had time to browse the entire site yet

STEVE
Old 06-08-2007, 09:00 PM   #41
JimThias

Quote:
Jim's no dummy:
Image © Jim Thias
Photograph © Jim Thias
Thanks, Chris. The location I shot that from isn't easily accessible by any means, and it's not a location I can get to easily and often when trains are coming. When I'm faced with limitations like that, I tend to fire off as many shots as possible to increase the odds of having a "keeper." I would have preferred to have submitted the other shot, as I really like the angle of the train on the curve, but I thought the shadowed side was a killer for railpics standards. I still like the shot, and will maybe even have it printed some day.

By the way, I see you resumitted a leveled shot of the train by the grain silo. Looks great!

Last edited by JimThias; 06-08-2007 at 09:02 PM.