Old 09-06-2007, 05:59 PM   #1
MacTown

Default Stupidity at its worst

2 children killed when their mom tryed beating a train. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,295945,00.html
I just saw it on foxnews they actually showed the video of it happening she cleared the eastbound but failed to see the westbound that ended up hitting the van.

Last edited by MacTown; 09-06-2007 at 06:02 PM.
MacTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Cyclonetrain

Send a message via AIM to Cyclonetrain Send a message via Yahoo to Cyclonetrain

I feel sorry for the kids, and I'm glad that no one is suing the RR or anything like that (yet!)
Cyclonetrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:00 PM   #3
Crusader

Horrible.

Since the birth of my daughter 15 months ago, I've really had to view my own driving habits with a critical eye. Tho I've always respected grade crossings, I used to play a bit fast and loose with a few other basic driving rules. But these days, I need only check my rearview and see my little girl in her carseat to know what my job is: Get her safely to our destination. Period.

My sympathies to the family, the first-responders, and to the train crew.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:25 AM   #4
J

The following video shows the vehicle racing through the parking lot trying to beat the train.

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/H...d=1.1.1&sflg=1
J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:20 AM   #5
Callufrax
?

Location: Nth. Strathfield, Main Northern, CityRail - Sydney, NSW, Australia

I've never understood the mentality of trying to beat a train at a level crossing. It's a no brainer as to who will come off second best. Unfortunately, in this case, two kids have had to pay the price for someone else's actions.

The level crossing was protected by warning bells. However, warning bells, barriers, or any other protection system, won't stop stupidity from happening. The level crossing accident, at Ufton Nervet, Berkshire, comes to mind, when someone successfully committed suicide.
Callufrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 04:05 AM   #6
Traisessive

Send a message via MSN to Traisessive

Instead of residents whining about there not being any gates ... how about they go smack (figurativly ... not literally) what little life is left in her for breaking the law and murdering two of her children.
Traisessive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:44 PM   #7
Joe the Photog

Every time there's an accident at a grade crossing without a gate, they mention that there was no gate. Like people shouldn't be smarter than that. But there are obviously no gates at any stop intesection anywhere, and if someone runs a stop light or a stop sign, they report that.

But somehow it's not as bad if someone runs through a crossing with no gates.

Let's think about what this woman did. First, an article I read said she lived a few blocks from this crossing. It's obvious how she's flying through the parking lot that she knows where she's going. It's also obvious that she's done this before or at least knew she would have to swing left to turn right to get across the tracks.

The article also stated that the video shows her aiting at least thirteen seconds before making the decision to run for it. The paper insinuated that was part of the problem, that had she not hesistated, she would have made it and everything would have been fine.

So now she's literally flying low through a parking lot endangering everyone in the van and everyone around the van. Now she lives close to the tracks, so she has to kow that there's are two sets of tracks, right? So even though it looks like a blind crossing for the west bound, she's so intent on beating the east bound and saving a few minutes that she risks it.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I am not a believer in the theory that she's going to suffer enough knowing she killed her children. If this woman survives, she needs to be prosectuted to the fullest extent of the law for her blantant disregard of the four human lives she should have been protecting at all costs. She can suffer through this and be haunted by the thouhgt all she wants from behind bars.

If she makes it out of the hospital in the first place.

Joe H.
Old 09-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #8
PLEzero

I hope this video is used to its full educational value. Images like this aren't often forgotten easily.
My RP.net Photos
PLEzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:03 AM   #9
MacTown

I certainly agree Joe if she does survive she should be charged with something, disreguarding the saftey of her children shouldnt go unpunished.
MacTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:19 AM   #10
Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

Send a message via AIM to Andrew Blaszczyk (2) Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew Blaszczyk (2)

"I don't blame her. . . " says the last woman interviewed. Ummm, WOW!

"My camera is an artistic medium, not a tool of terrorism."

www.ab2photography.com Coming soon!
My photos on RailPictures:
http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?userid=960
Andrew Blaszczyk (2) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:50 AM   #11
Christopher Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Blaszczyk (2)
"I don't blame her. . . " says the last woman interviewed. Ummm, WOW!

It wasn't her fault. It was the train coming from the other way's fault.

My goodness. I can't believe somone would say "I don't blame her..." All you can do is shake your head.
Christopher Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
Crusader

From a sociological standpoint, I'm astounded at the seemingly pervasive belief that "it was the train's fault" and how this belief fits into our national psyche.

It disturbs me that so many of us live in such an obliviously selfish state of non-awareness that we actually believe that the world is our theme park and that individual responsibility plays no role in it.

Or are we so hurried that we refuse to recognize the risks of running a grade Xing just to save a few minutes?

I fear that for most of the non-railfan, non-industry public, the railroad as an institution has become regarded as a footnote (like the tube radio or stereopticon), so when one sees a track or even Xing lights, he/she assumes either that the line can't possibly still be in use, that the signals must be broken, or that trains run so infrequently that an east-west meet is impossible.

Once I was stopped at a local Xing, one of the very few in my area with more than one set of rails. When the string of gons cleared the Xing, everyone expected the bells and lights to stop and the gate to go up. When neither happened, folks got antsy. One guy nosed his car forward and seemed seriously to be considering driving around the gates. After a moment, even I wondered if the gate and signals might be stuck. Then a commuter train blasted its horn and rumbled thru the Xing. When it cleared, the gates of course went up. Bet that guy was glad he didn't try and go around the gates.
Probably happens once a week at that location alone.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:31 AM   #13
becker
Louis Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusader
Or are we so hurried that we refuse to recognize the risks of running a grade Xing just to save a few minutes?
Or even a few seconds. Even if I wanted to, I couldn't count the amount of times I have seen people nearly get hit (at crossings with lights) just to beat an engine --- that isn't even pulling any cars.
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 07:38 PM   #14
NJRailGuy

Unhappy Again...

Sadly, some people were killed yesterday (mon, 17), right here in Rutherford NJ, when they tried to beat a NJ Transit train across a crossing. I saw work crews repairing the damaged track & signaling equipment on my way to work in the morning, and saw the news report later.
NJRailGuy is offline   Reply With Quote