Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 PM   #26
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,895
Default

What's wacked that Wick wasn't where?


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:16 PM   #27
JimThias
Senior Member
 
JimThias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 9,800
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog
What's wacked that Wick wasn't where?
It's wickety wacked!
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #28
Kelly Lynch
Member
 
Kelly Lynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 30
Default

Quote:
First, I disagree with your sentiment. It's not up to me, some guy with a camera trackside, to know what rules may or may not be broken in some shot I take.
Quote:
I agree 100% which may make me seem like a bit of a d--- but hey, they shouldn't have been breaking the rules. If me adding a shot to RP can make the railroad a safer place to work then I done good. =)
Wow, come on guys, whatever happened to being your brother's keeper? There's a sentiment on the railroad (and in fact, it is present in every industrial job) that if you see something potentially questionable or dangerous, you say something. At least as an employee, letting a fellow employee cut corners, break rules, or perhaps inadvertently place themselves into a questionable situation makes you responsible by association. I realize that this situation had a relatively controlled circumstance, but I'd hope that a better vigilance for your neighbor would overcome in others situations!

How in the world are you gonna make the railroad a safer place if you don't let people know when they may be in trouble? By uploading the shot after the fact, you've already missed one opportunity to make sure somebody else knows the score -- and even if they disregard your good intentions, you'll always know you tried. Even a joke "Hey, buddy, don't trip on that railhead in front of the train" is better than "watch this doofus get arrested for being dumb, lolol!!11one." It only takes one careless and thoughtless doofus to ruin opportunities like that for the rest of us.

/end my completely unnecessary rant
__________________
"I'm a businessman. I deal in images."

essential film & media production services
www.lynchpinpictures.com

Last edited by Kelly Lynch; 06-10-2008 at 02:51 AM.
Kelly Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:52 AM   #29
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,895
Default

Kelly;

I believe you've missed my point. I take pictures. I'm a photographer. I don't know railroad rules. I just shoot pictures of trains. If one of my shots shows a railroader breaking the rules, then I'm sorry if he -- or she -- gets disciplined. That was not my intention, but I can't be expected to know every rule a railroader must follow when many railroaders don't know every rule they must follow.


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:57 AM   #30
Kelly Lynch
Member
 
Kelly Lynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 30
Default

No sweat, Joe -- but even if you're not a firefighter, you're still able to recognize the dangers of fire, no?

You don't need to know Rule 26Dash2 to know some things could be bad news -- for employees, grandmas, or railfans.
__________________
"I'm a businessman. I deal in images."

essential film & media production services
www.lynchpinpictures.com

Last edited by Kelly Lynch; 06-10-2008 at 03:00 AM.
Kelly Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:07 AM   #31
Joe the Photog
Senior Member
 
Joe the Photog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 7,895
Default

If I see a fire, of course I'll call it in. I've called it in to the railroad when I saw an 18 wheeler trucker unwedge his trailer from under a trestle and then leave like nothing had happened. But I can't look at a railroader and tell you if he's breaking a rule unless it's very obvious. And, in fact, I've never seen a railroader breaking a rule that I'm aware of. It's not my place to know. Of course, if I see a train going through a crossing without blowing it's whistle doing what looks to be 50 on a ten mile an hour stretch, then, yeah, I'll call it in.


Joe
__________________
Joe the Photog Dot Com
Joe the Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 AM   #32
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Am I missing something? Are you really saying that railfans should be telling railroad employees when they're not being safe?!? Yeah, that'll go over well...
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:58 PM   #33
becker
Louis Becker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 390
Default

There's a crossing up on the north side of here where there is a connection and diamond at what used to be a main line and is now a spur track. The following rule is in the timetable concerning it (there's also a similar sign posted at the crossing):

Quote:
Calspur, 42nd Street Crossing, MP 2.1Wait 38 seconds
before entering the crossing.
This is due to the fact that the gate needs time to come down before the train enters the crossing. Have I seen one train ever follow this rule? No. Because almost every time they go up there, there's no traffic on the road, and there's already a crewman on the front of the locomotive. Do I call it in? No, if I did, I'd be calling every time they go up there. Has that crossing ever had an accident since they installed the gates? No, and considering that it was a mainline crossing with just a crossbuck for years, I could care less about them waiting for the gates to come down all the way...
becker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:44 PM   #34
Mike B.
Banned
 
Mike B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,343
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ween
Am I missing something? Are you really saying that railfans should be telling railroad employees when they're not being safe?!? Yeah, that'll go over well...
I hate to say it, but I agree with Chris. If a railfan approaches an employee and tells them they are being unsafe, I'll bet every penny I have that you will not get a thank you. Employees know the rules and they don't need some stupid railfan who is watching their every move to tell them what they are doing wrong. Just take your pictures and leave, most of the time.
Mike B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 10:10 PM   #35
Kelly Lynch
Member
 
Kelly Lynch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 30
Default

Nobody said anything about policing employees. I'm talking about situations where an inherent danger may or may not be known by parties involved and employees aren't exactly the only ones who are exposed to the dangers of railroading. Just being track side opens you up to a bunch of new malicious possibilities. I'm not talking about knowing rule books or procedures, I'm talking about common sense prevailing enough to let you know when the time may be appropriate to warn somebody. Now, I know common sense isn't something everyone has, which is why knowledgeable folks (you, the fan, the photographer, the whatever) who inherently know that trains equal dangerous can be helpful. Whether you're a pestering ninny about it is your business. There are ways to be courteous without being a jerk.

Would those sunbathing girls who fell asleep on the rails go unmoved because of the reluctance to upset somebody? Would the guy videotaping the oncoming diesel not be asked to step away from the rail because you fear he may tell you to take a hike?

As an employee, I don't know what's worse: People that will hang around or near the property as a potential liability or people who will hang around the property and watch you get creamed by a silent runaway car, a broken air-line, a missing handrail, etc because they didn't think it polite to let you know.

Honestly, I don't think I'm saying anything here that most of you already know or think to practice. Perhaps the apathetic "It's not my problem" attitude is really what galls me most.

You don't look out for people's safety to get a damn "thank you."
__________________
"I'm a businessman. I deal in images."

essential film & media production services
www.lynchpinpictures.com
Kelly Lynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 01:14 AM   #36
Ween
Senior Member
 
Ween's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 4,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Lynch
Nobody said anything about policing employees.
I guess I did miss something when I read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Lynch
How in the world are you gonna make the railroad a safer place if you don't let people know when they may be in trouble? By uploading the shot after the fact, you've already missed one opportunity to make sure somebody else knows the score -- and even if they disregard your good intentions, you'll always know you tried.
Since we were talking about uploading photos of employees breaking the rules, I assumed the above quote involved 'fans telling RR employees their business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike B.
I hate to say it, but I agree with Chris.
I hear there's a cold front going through hell right about now...especially because like Mike B., I'm not a big fan of photo charters.
__________________
Ween is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.