Old 09-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
ME 488

Default Composition Slump

Trying to create some interesting scenes, I've wound up with composition rejects. I could crop these into basic wedges, but to me, they would being much more boring.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...d=854266&key=0
http://www.railpictures.net/viewreje...&key=520434327

Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2010, 02:14 AM   #2
coborn35

Too me, they are pretty soso crops as is. Nice power and everything else tho. I like the first one. If they have seven units, why shoot into a curve that only shows 3?
I personally have had a problem with those trying to tell us to turn railroad photography into an "art form." It's fine for them to do so, I welcome it in fact, but what I do have a problem with is that the practitioners of the more "arty" shots, I have found, tend to look down their nose's at others who are shooting more "mundane" shots.
Railroad photography is what you make of it, but one way is not "better" than another, IMHO. Unless you have a pole right thought the nose of the engine! -SG
coborn35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
ME 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by coborn35 View Post
Too me, they are pretty soso crops as is. Nice power and everything else tho. I like the first one. If they have seven units, why shoot into a curve that only shows 3?
I did submit one that shows all the units and it was accepted:
Image © Dan Nelson
PhotoID: 337621
Photograph © Dan Nelson

On the curve one, the idea was to include the miniature house with the shed and the dog house. I can't see a crop that would really make it better, but I'm open to ideas.

As for the other shot, I'm going to try uploading a different crop with less on the right and more on the left. I thought the old industrial building was pretty cool, but it doesn't seem to work in this shot.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:17 AM   #4
ME 488

Well, I got the Burnham one on:

Image © Dan Nelson
PhotoID: 337637
Photograph © Dan Nelson

For some reason the screener has decided to change the train id from "WA-2" which I originally put in, to "PAR WA-2." "PAR WA-2" is inaccurate. If we were going to get really technical, it was be "ST WA-2," however, I've always put just the symbol without any initials before it (the way the crews/dispatchers refer to the symbols most of the time). It's never been corrected before, and that's what people seem to do also when uploading Pan Am shots. If rp screeners want me to change all of my Pan Am symbols to have ST in them, I guess I can...
Old 09-13-2010, 02:20 PM   #5
MDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by ME 488 View Post
For some reason the screener has decided to change the train id from "WA-2" which I originally put in, to "PAR WA-2." "PAR WA-2" is inaccurate. If we were going to get really technical, it was be "ST WA-2," however, I've always put just the symbol without any initials before it (the way the crews/dispatchers refer to the symbols most of the time). It's never been corrected before, and that's what people seem to do also when uploading Pan Am shots. If rp screeners want me to change all of my Pan Am symbols to have ST in them, I guess I can...
From the upload page itself:

Quote:
(Example: CSX Q522, CSX P030, etc.)
So I take that to mean they want railroad and symbol, and generally the "simple" version of the symbol, i.e. for the CSX ones the full symbol would be Q52213 (Q522 of the 13th) but I generally leave off the date part. Likewise there's more to NS symbols that NS 20E but I usually don't know the rest without guessing so I leave it off. It also makes for more consistent searching if you can find all the Q522's without a mess of Q52213, Q52214, etc. Identifying the railroad in the symbol field can make some sense - especially for foreign moves or trackage rights trains (i.e. CSX Z247 is CN 383 on the CSX Toledo Terminal and while both Z247 and 383 are "correct" it's more clear when you identify which railroad the symbol relates to).

At least that's my understanding.

Regards,
Michael

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Click Here to view my Toledo Railfan Photo Location map!
MDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
ME 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDH View Post
From the upload page itself:

So I take that to mean they want railroad and symbol, and generally the "simple" version of the symbol, i.e. for the CSX ones the full symbol would be Q52213 (Q522 of the 13th) but I generally leave off the date part. Likewise there's more to NS symbols that NS 20E but I usually don't know the rest without guessing so I leave it off. It also makes for more consistent searching if you can find all the Q522's without a mess of Q52213, Q52214, etc. Identifying the railroad in the symbol field can make some sense - especially for foreign moves or trackage rights trains (i.e. CSX Z247 is CN 383 on the CSX Toledo Terminal and while both Z247 and 383 are "correct" it's more clear when you identify which railroad the symbol relates to).

At least that's my understanding.

Regards,
Michael
Michael, thanks for chiming in. To me the main issue is that almost everyone who posts Pam Am shots doesn't add initials before symbols, so if I were to start doing that, it hurt the the search results when someone clicks on a symbol to view more shots of that train. For example, the Pan Am symbol NMED has 53 photos that just say NMED without any initials. There are only nine shots in the database that say PAR NMED (which is inaccurate), and there are only two that say the technically accurate ST NMED. So to me, unless someone goes through every Pan Am/Guilford shot and puts an ST in front of each symbol, it makes the most sense leave initials out for the sake of search results.
Old 09-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
troy12n
Banned

That Pan Am paint scheme has to be one of the worst out there, it looks like it would be very difficult to photograph
troy12n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 04:07 PM   #8
ME 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy12n View Post
That Pan Am paint scheme has to be one of the worst out there, it looks like it would be very difficult to photograph
To me it's at least an improvement over Guilford gray.