Old 11-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #26
Ron Flanary

Quote:
Originally Posted by John West View Post
The reject had the potential to be far more interesting than the one that got accepted. The trackwork is interesting and the placement of the single unit in the distance is nice understatement. But the out of focus fence kills it and the overall composition is not right. Close but no banana.
I'm 100 percent in agreement with John. I still like the rejected shot best (sans foreground fence----unless the depth of field could have been drastically improved to render it less out of focus).

Given the choice between a well done conventional shot....and a well done unconventional shot, I'll usually go for the former. It's just a personal preference.
Ron Flanary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #27
JimThias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Mr. Pick;

That site which you linked that shot from is not meant to compete with this site quality wise. It is not screened and it doesn't claim to have the best pictures on the net. That would be like comparing some of the better TV shows on network out there to some local access cable show put on by Wayne and Garth. Not a fair comparision.
I thought the point of his comparison was pretty obvious (and legit). And I have to say it's refreshing to see someone new to this site who "gets it."

This pretty much sums it up: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Thias
JimThias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #28
JRMDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimThias View Post
I thought the point of his comparison was pretty obvious (and legit). And I have to say it's refreshing to see someone new to this site who "gets it."
I think it was such an obvious point to the regulars here that it wasn't so clear why the point was being made. And it wasn't that connected to the thread topic; but we can differ on that opinion.

Hey, we all started somewhere. I don't think I said it before; welcome, Pick!

My commentaries on rail pictures are in my blog.

RP Photo Albums:
Cabooses
Engine Details
Farm and Train
Plumes!
Railroad Details
Signal Details
Switchstand Shots
JRMDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:00 PM   #29
Mr. Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMDC View Post
I think it was such an obvious point to the regulars here that it wasn't so clear why the point was being made. And it wasn't that connected to the thread topic; but we can differ on that opinion.

Hey, we all started somewhere. I don't think I said it before; welcome, Pick!
Thanks for the welcome. I was probably speaking out of turn, and should have waited until I'd paid my dues a little more before piping up. But, I never have been very good at keeping my mouth shut....

Tonight when I get home, I've decided to submit my first pic. I even know which one I'm going to send in. Unless there is a blind screener, it will probably get rejected, and then we'll see what I have to say about the standards!

Sorry about getting off topic. I'll try to watch that.
Mr. Pick is offline   Reply With Quote